City Fibre

Associate
I can't can I? It goes from my roof to the telephone pole. If I have FTTP installed I don't want this old standard cable attached to my house as well as it will never be used.

It's Openreach property right up to the face plate inside your home.

WHy does it really matter if it stays or not? good fall back in case something happens.

Man of Honour
My CityFibre dropped out last week. I called Zen who booked it out to CityFibre. They called me back to confirm I had an engineer booked for the following morning but they said CityFibre's repair team were pretty good and may get onto that afternoon.
Turns out they were really good as it was fixed about an hour later :)

This is my speed on Zen

Interesting seeing the large variance of up/down latency during the speedtest run between FTTP providers. Can anyone explain why this is considering all these are FTTP on symetrical up/down so technically should all be nearly the same?

Mine just now which is typical of any time of the day:

csGGvHv.png

Last edited:
Soldato
It's Openreach property right up to the face plate inside your home.

WHy does it really matter if it stays or not? good fall back in case something happens.

Was just concerned about it looking scruffy if there were two cables coming from the pole to my house. One might have slightly different sag to the other so they look weird or flap against each other in the wind.

Then it's more cables clipped down the wall outside and routed around the bay window.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was just concerned about it looking scruffy if there were two cables coming from the pole to my house. One might have slightly different sag to the other so they look weird or flap against each other in the wind.

Then it's more cables clipped down the wall outside and routed around the bay window.
If it just snapped and fell down one night then Openreach would never put it back up! I find it really odd they are not removing the copper links every time they put in fibre, the guy that did our fibre asked if we were ever going to use the copper again and when I said no he said he'd take it down which saved me from hoping it snapped one evening. There is so much stuff on the poles round me now that one or two have developed visible leans, we've had Openreach, Virgin and another company all put stuff on he poles in the last year it's starting to look like the mess you see in the third world I wish we'd had a proper national role out and they'd stripped the copper out as they went!

Associate
I went live with no one on city fibre on the 5th, I hadnt heard good things about their router and it had minimal ethernet ports so I bought my own. If you supply your own router they credit your account back with £50.

I had to enter the details my self which was pretty straight forward except for one setting. They use port 901 vlan and that setting was hidden away in the lan area behind a iptv option.

This was on a ASUS TUF Gaming AX6000
How is your Speed test? We have Cityfibre in the Area but will take a few months. How have No one been? was the installation all ok

Man of Honour
Interesting seeing the large variance of up/down latency during the speedtest run between FTTP providers. Can anyone explain why this is considering all these are FTTP on symetrical up/down so technically should all be nearly the same?
Different provider/ISP/router/settings/time of day/part of the country/etc etc.

Soldato
How is your Speed test? We have Cityfibre in the Area but will take a few months. How have No one been? was the installation all ok

I signed up to no one but i ended up cancelling my order as after the install I still had no Internet for a week and no concrete date as to when the issue would be resolved. I went with decided to give Yayzi a try and had no issues with the install and I've done multiple speed tests and it's always around 1200mb down & 975mb up.

Associate
I signed up to no one but i ended up cancelling my order as after the install I still had no Internet for a week and no concrete date as to when the issue would be resolved. I went with decided to give Yayzi a try and had no issues with the install and I've done multiple speed tests and it's always around 1200mb down & 975mb up.
Ah thats good then at least your Up and running with Yayzi - Who have just announced officially they doing 2.5Gbps Service now for £50 (2.3Gig Pro+ Package) Whats their Router like, has it got two 2.5Gb network ports on it?

Associate
CityFibre can’t pull down an Openreach cable.
I asked them to use my very old bt line as entry point thinking they wouldn't touch it.

Probably helped that I disconnected as much of the inside to leave a hole so they used that hole and drilled it out a bit and removed the cable from outside.

Soldato
Ah thats good then at least your Up and running with Yayzi - Who have just announced officially they doing 2.5Gbps Service now for £50 (2.3Gig Pro+ Package) Whats their Router like, has it got two 2.5Gb network ports on it?
They quietly announced it last year if you were lucky at a lower price. TP Link Aginet usually and it has multiple 2.5Gbe ports, its effectively the Deco stuff with remote provisioning, surprisingly well featured as most TPL stuff is, but the interface and web integration has matured over the years. Sadly you cant manage it and Deco from the same app and anything more than basic settings needs the web interface rather than app just as Deco does. Easy to replace with something more interesting if thats the route you want to go as Yayzi are one of the only two CF resellers doing DHCP, so just set your VLAN and clone the MAC or reboot the PON for it to pick up on the new MAC.

Associate
finally had my number ported over to no one today which ended my plusnet connection and contract.

Have to say the no one support have been first class, I noticed the lights go off my plusnet router and 5 mins later no one called my mobile to ask if I had managed to set the voip converter up and everything was ok. I was able to make calls but not receieve them so she said she would get onto support and call me back, which she did not long after on the land line once they had sorted it.

Just hope they can keep the same levels of support as the expand and get more customers.

Associate
Question. if CF say on website that my road is ready and VF are the only option, but when i called VF they said not ready and to call back in 12 weeks time for an update, the lady did say at 1st call back in 24 weeks wow.
does this seem right?

Associate
Sorry VodaFone thanks, i just thought once goes live on CF checker and has a provider, it would be all ready to go, especially as we had a promotion flyer through the letter box with the 29 quid price.

Associate
I pay £35 P/m for Virgin 1Gig, when CityFibre launched in my Postcode last Summer my Virgin contract was up for renewal, for clarity I'm actually on a 500mb Virgin package, but I'm also an 02 customers so get Volt benefits which doubles my phone data and virgin speed for free, when I phoned them and after a little haggling they matched what I was offered through CityFibre price wise, needless to say, when my contract is next up for renewal I will again see who offers the best deal.

Back
Top Bottom