City of Heroes

Soldato
Sooooo stupid. What a joke of a company they have become!
I played lineage2 from open beta till free to play and their attitude to the players has just got worse and worse.

Man of Honour
Their attitude towards their customers has always been poor. After they took CoH down I never bought another game from them again.

Soldato
OP
Their attitude towards their customers has always been poor. After they took CoH down I never bought another game from them again.
Likewise. NCSoft are a horrible company and seem to hold their customers in contempt.

Just need to get the binaries out on torrents so people can club together and host in countries where NCSoft will get told to do one.

Man of Honour
Yeah hoping someone uploads a pre-built working environment.

I've been trying to grab everything I can but still missing around 10% of the data needed which unfortunately is the key missions/NPC stuff.

EDIT:

Anyone who has the server hardware specs racked with the specs I have listed in the past week, and won't buckle under a C&D, contact me and I'll set up another server in under 12 hours just like I did for the one that just closed. 2/2

Supposedly...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well the aim is to get i24 released which is still some time away. Those binaries were the SCORE ones which they didn't want to leak out - what the devs were doing is nothing to do with the binaries on that server.

So there is hope, just have to wait :)

Man of Honour
Well the aim is to get i24 released which is still some time away. Those binaries were the SCORE ones which they didn't want to leak out - what the devs were doing is nothing to do with the binaries on that server.

So there is hope, just have to wait :)

Not 100% without sorting through what I've got but I think I have almost everything to run a i24 server if I understood enough about it - but still missing 3 rather critical but small .db files and one template :(

Caporegime
I'm shocked there are people on the subreddit that are shocked. Of course this was going to happen, although it has happened a bit faster than I was expecting. If it continues, it'll be on a private server that only a couple of hundred people are invited on to. Of course a company is going to lawyer up to defend their IP. Why wouldn't they?

Soldato
OP
Not 100% without sorting through what I've got but I think I have almost everything to run a i24 server if I understood enough about it - but still missing 3 rather critical but small .db files and one template :(
As far as I understand it, there were modifications made to the source so it's no longer "vanilla" and is now i25, so there are some incompatibilities between that and the other files. It's why the devs are working on the source - trying to scrub everything back to i24. :)

It was amazing getting to play again and I can wait for another go. It's just as much fun as I remember. :)

Man of Honour
As far as I understand it, there were modifications made to the source so it's no longer "vanilla" and is now i25, so there are some incompatibilities between that and the other files. It's why the devs are working on the source - trying to scrub everything back to i24. :)

Everything I have is i24 beta - I know enough to know its valid game server code and not stuff that has previously been released but not 100% how much of the working product is there especially there are some datafiles missing relevant to actually doing anything other than running around an empty map.

EDIT: Looks like realistically to even get it up and running, even just as a local private host, needs 1x db server (4 core, 8GB RAM probably enough) and 3x map servers which can handle upto a few hundred clients - but needs like 8 core, 32GB RAM per map server - even if it was just you playing at home still realistically needs that as a minimum just to get it up and running :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah hence why the deviate looking to do some optimisation down the line.

Seems there is a lot of misinformation at the moment. Ignore the discord apart from updates.

Man of Honour
Frustratingly it isn't just a case of running a few binaries - needs a fair bit of SQL server setup and a website for account creation and management. I think it would literally be easier for me to recreate the whole game from scratch LOL than get my head around getting this up and running. There seems to be a whole load of undocumented steps for getting everything running and talking to each other as well.

Associate
Gutted, but at least I got on and ran around for an hour or so. It looked and played well. No idea if it will ever be fully up and running again, or a case of server hopping.
On another sad note, the self entitlement of people on the internet though is really quite disturbing. Why do people feel the need to post hate towards those trying to bring a much loved game back? Reading those forums and posts makes me sad

Soldato
OP
Gutted, but at least I got on and ran around for an hour or so. It looked and played well. No idea if it will ever be fully up and running again, or a case of server hopping.
On another sad note, the self entitlement of people on the internet though is really quite disturbing. Why do people feel the need to post hate towards those trying to bring a much loved game back? Reading those forums and posts makes me sad

I agree and get the idea that those people having an absolute meltdown on the discord are not old school players. Just self-entitled types.

I see it's been on 4chan so that could explain some of the behaviour. The people I played with were all grateful for being able to play at all - General channel in discord is pretty depressing.

I really can't blame Leandro for keeping that server hidden and wanting to filter and vet the community given what we are seeing now but wish the leak had happened years back.

Last edited:
Associate
Turns out that i most probably was not a C&D by NCS. But instead a troll ón reddit that sent a false threat causing one of the staff for the servers to delete the whole thing.

City of Heroes’ first new rogue server shut down over a fake legal threat, but admins say it’s coming back
https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/22/...-been-shut-down-under-threat-of-legal-action/

This weekend was a dream come through. I could not believe I was playing my absolute favorite game again.
It was unreal. Tears and joy.

and the performance on Saturday and Sunday was on par with the good old days, zero lag.

The servers were located in the UK and I am in Sweden so thats great.

Caporegime
Turns out that i most probably was not a C&D by NCS. But instead a troll ón reddit that sent a false threat causing one of the staff for the servers to delete the whole thing.

City of Heroes’ first new rogue server shut down over a fake legal threat, but admins say it’s coming back
https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/22/...-been-shut-down-under-threat-of-legal-action/

This weekend was a dream come through. I could not believe I was playing my absolute favorite game again.
It was unreal. Tears and joy.

and the performance on Saturday and Sunday was on par with the good old days, zero lag.

The servers were located in the UK and I am in Sweden so thats great.
If NCSoft haven't done anything yet they surely will.

Man of Honour
If NCSoft haven't done anything yet they surely will.

I dunno if it is true but one of the people who seems to have a connection to the original developer was saying a lot of the "old guard" are gone at NCSoft and the newer management people don't want to touch it and have just (re)trademarked some of the IP for potential future use abstract to CoH and that it is unlikely they will intervene in either a positive or negative fashion.

Soldato
I dunno if it is true but one of the people who seems to have a connection to the original developer was saying a lot of the "old guard" are gone at NCSoft and the newer management people don't want to touch it and have just (re)trademarked some of the IP for potential future use abstract to CoH and that it is unlikely they will intervene in either a positive or negative fashion.

Would make more sense, IP law is extremely convoluted but from what I understand if you do not actively seek to protect your IP (even in non-commercial matters) you could forfeit the right to the IP or at the very least open yourself up to challenge so I understand in principle why companies do it, that being said if what you said is true that opens this up to the possibility of sticking around as NCS might not be bothered with losing it.

Soldato
there have been literally thousands of lineage 2 servers up over the years, AFAIK they have not had major trouble.
I even ran a server myself until I had to concede I cannot code for **** and give up. :D

Could see NCSoft trying to stop one.. but now the files are public its surely past a point where they can stop it

Man of Honour
Full server isn't yet public I think - some efforts going on at the moment to reverse engineer what has been released and fill in the blanks. But unlike a lot of game servers this one is particularly complex environment wise to host.

Back
Top Bottom