Civilization VI

Man of Honour
Ive built everything I can build, and still in negative amenities. I don't understand what gives me more amenities. I've sent out all my envoys and have a trader.

Also Im still not understanding how combat works in this game. I had 3 cities and there was a city state in a prime spot, in my expansion path so to speak. So I tried to build some units to capture it but just kept getting beat. It was only a population size of 10 and I had 3 cities on 10, 8 and 5. I tried ranged units, land units, and catapults. Just couldn't make a dent in it.

Did it have city walls, did you knock down the city walls before assaulting it with troops?

For Amenities...

Each Luxury resource contributes up to 4 Amenities to your empire, 1 per city, automatically allocated to the cities that need them most. The Luxury Resource must be improved before it generates Amenities. Some resources cannot be traded for and must be created through a Great Person or gotten through a City-State. For example, the City-State of Zanzibar’s Suzerain bonus offers Cinnamon and Clove resources that cannot be earned any other way in the game and provide 6 Amenities each.

The only District that improves your Amenities is the Entertainment Complex. The Arena provides +1 Amenity. The Zoo and Arena provide Amenities which extend to city centers within 6 tiles of their home city, a powerful bonus.

Wonders that provide Amenities include:

• Colosseum (Civics: Games and Recreation): +2 Culture, +3 Amenities from entertainment. Colosseum’s Culture and Amenities are extended to each city center within 6 tiles. Must be built on flat land adjacent to an Entertainment Complex district.

• Estadio do Maracana (Civics: Professional Sports): +2 Amenities in each city in your civ. Must be built on flat land adjacent to an Entertainment Complex district with a Stadium. +6 Culture, +2 Amenities from entertainment.

• Alhambra (Technology: Castles): +2 Amenities from entertainment. +2 Great General points per turn. Provides the same defensive bonuses as the Fort improvement. Must be built on Hills adjacent to an Encampment district. +1 Military policy slot.
Religious beliefs that provide Amenities include:

• Pantheon: River Goddess: +1 Amenity to cities if they have a Holy Site district adjacent to a River.

• Follower Belief: Zen Meditation: +1 Amenity in cities with 2 speciality districts.
Policies that provide Amenities or prevent you from losing them include:

• Political Philosophy: Classical Republic (Government): Inherent bonus: All cities with a district receive +1 Amenity.

• Civil Service: Retainers (Military): +1 Amenity for cities with a garrisoned unit.

• The Enlightenment (Economic): +1 Amenity to all cities with at least 2 specialty districts.

• Propaganda (Military): Accumulate 25% less war weariness than usual.

• Levee en Masse (Military): Unit maintenance cost reduced by 2 gold per turn, per unit.

• Suffrage: New Deal (Economic): +4 Housing, +2 Amenities, -8 Gold to all cities with at least 3 specialty districts.

• Totalitarianism: Martial Law (Military): Accumulate 25% less war weariness than usual.

• Class Struggle: Defense of the Motherland (Military): No war weariness from combat in your territory.
Great People who provide Amenities include:

• (Great Merchant - Industrial Era) John Spilsbury: Provides 1 Toys luxury resource, which provides 4 Amenities.

• (Great Merchant - Information Era) Estee Lauder: Grants 2 Perfume, which provides +6 Amenities.

• (Great Merchant - Atomic Era) Helena Rubinstein: Grants 2 Cosmetics luxury resources, which provides +4 Amenities.

• (Great Merchant - Atomic Era) Levi Strauss: Grants 2 Jeans luxury resources, which provides +4 Amenities.

• (Great Engineer - Atomic Era) Jane Drew: +4 Housing for this city, +3 Amenities for this city.

• (Great Engineer - Atomic Era) John Roebling: +2 Housing for this city, +1 Amenity for this city.

• (Great Engineer - Information Era) Joseph Paxton: This district’s regional buildings reach 3 tiles farther. This district’s regional buildings provide +1 Amenity.

• (Great Engineer - Renaissance Era) Mimar Sinan: +1 Housing for this city, +1 Amenity for this city.

• (Great Engineer - Modern Era) Nikola Tesla: This district’s regional buildings reach 3 tiles farther (activate on an Entertainment Complex), this district’s regional buildings provide +2 Production.

Soldato
Completed my first game with maya and apocalypse mode. Didn’t get to see a meteor impact but had way more floods, volcanoes, storms and coastal erosion. Coastal erosion was the only thing that caught me out a bit but was soon remedied with coastal defences.

Soldato
City states are much more useful as allies IMO, too many bonuses to ignore if you have the most envoys in place.

They are also very strong in the early game, make friends with them and expand past them.

Man of Honour
I tried to use a catapult but it kept getting killed by the opponents ranged attacks.

As the attack distance is only 2 tiles im struggling to see how you get enough units close enough.

Need more than one catapult, that way no matter what happens to the catapult its targetting the others can always get a shot in, rams and siege towers are useful to have too

Soldato
City states are much more useful as allies IMO, too many bonuses to ignore if you have the most envoys in place.

They are also very strong in the early game, make friends with them and expand past them.

But if they are in a prime spot is it not better to have the city yourself?

I just tried taking a screenshot but then the game crashed. I had on the screen a city I'd just built with population 2 and it was on negative 1 amenity. None of the buildings available to build offered an amenity improvement and there were no luxury resources anywhere near it (in fact these seem really sparse on the whole map). I'd already used a builder to improve all the tiles around my city into farms or horse areas. How was I supposed to get out of negative amenity?

Ah Ive retreived the screenshot here it is:

07wkSiH.png

Soldato
Ive built everything I can build, and still in negative amenities. I don't understand what gives me more amenities. I've sent out all my envoys and have a trader.

Also Im still not understanding how combat works in this game. I had 3 cities and there was a city state in a prime spot, in my expansion path so to speak. So I tried to build some units to capture it but just kept getting beat. It was only a population size of 10 and I had 3 cities on 10, 8 and 5. I tried ranged units, land units, and catapults. Just couldn't make a dent in it.

At the start of the game luxury resources, trading spares of these resources and the entertainment complex are the main ways to get them. You then need to manage your empire until you unlock further buildings for the entertainment complex (or waterpark) to help further. Also managing your Civic cards helps too as some will give bonuses. Also some Civs have unique bonuses or tile improvements that you can use to your advantage.

For city attacking I tend to, early game this is, use 2-3 catapults, a few archers and a few melee. If the city is weak enough and I am doing enough damage I will not move my melee in until it is time to take it. If it is a strong city that has healing more than I can keep up with I will ensure I siege the city with melee so it cannot regain health. Generally I will also have spare melee to assist if needed. Remember you cannot take a city with a ranged unit but can with a melee one.

Hope that helps.

Man of Honour
Just encountered something a bit annoying with the Mayans. Got my cities nicely set up , within 6 tiles for the bonus, around my capital. Lost my capital to another civ and it of course moved my capital, no problem... recaptured my original capital but of course there is no way to move my capital back to the original capital, which means that now half my cities arent in the 6 tile mayan bonus range. Bit of daft planning that by the devs. Given that theres a penalty for the Mayans for being further than 6 from the capital they really should have let the Mayans move their capital.

Soldato
But if they are in a prime spot is it not better to have the city yourself?

I just tried taking a screenshot but then the game crashed. I had on the screen a city I'd just built with population 2 and it was on negative 1 amenity. None of the buildings available to build offered an amenity improvement and there were no luxury resources anywhere near it (in fact these seem really sparse on the whole map). I'd already used a builder to improve all the tiles around my city into farms or horse areas. How was I supposed to get out of negative amenity?

Ah Ive retreived the screenshot here it is:

Remember for most Civs an amenity will only cover 4 cities, and it is automatic to the ones that need it the most as far as I am aware. For example if you have 2 amenities and 4 cities, each city would get one of each. If you built a 5th city however the game will then split the amenities up as required. I think each 2-3 population the city requires 1 more amenity.

Man of Honour
Loving this so far (thanks Epic Games!). Bit of a life sapper though!

one-does-not-simply-take-one-more-turn-4-5392630.png

Soldato
I generally play on emperor.

I would say when playing my base aim is to get my city down turn 1 or 2. Get a scout out to start exploring (CS/civ meets, wonder/continent discoveries etc for era) and then get a slinger out to give me a bit of ranged defence and the chance for an archery eureka with a barbarian kill. A second settler is often picked up early to get me some more ground. Then for the rest of the first 100 or so turns it is all about getting another 6-8 settlers out (often with Magnus and 50% production card, its not often i'll have ancestral hall down in time for many free builders though :().

From this point it is about the core districts to me campus and theatre squares will be in 100% or about 50% of my cities depending on which win type I want out of the two (as obviously both are important for both), then a harbour or commercial hub for trade routes and gold, an encampment or two for storage space and maybe a holy site if the right adjacency is presented (I never go religious victory but a bit of faith can never hurt, especially in culture for some National Parks, and yes as mentioned earlier an early golden age and monumentality can be amazing, so if holy sites are available don't just dismiss them if not going for religion). In terms of industrial zones I would build 1 or 2 to cover my cities on a spacerace, and may build them at other times if I can get good adjacency or centralisation of them.

Obviously there will be wonders to try and build, Pyramids for me is a must get and generally possible to, Petra can often be important as there is rarely a site it cant benefit. Ruhr on a space race is great, as is Oxford Uni in most situations, the Mausoleum is another wonder I do like to get. Forbidden City is nice for the policy slot.

Terracota Army if you are going domination is a must have.

I would say that generally at turn 100 or so I would have an army consisting of 1 or 2 scouts, 2 or 3 warriors/swordsman and maybe the same in archers/crossbowmen. I might even have a horseman or heavy charity or 2. This would be a large army for me at this point unless I have specifically been declared on and have had to increase for defensive strength.

Getting to that 1000 per turn on your main goal (science, culture, faith) and then on gold (and tourism when on culture) is so satisfying.

I must also add I am generally aiming to be winning by turns 260-280

Edit

Just thought of something to add, if you are not going for a religious victory then do not prioritise getting a religion at all, and if you do get a prophet, think carefully about when to pop it and how to defend your religion. If I ever do get a prophet I will generally use it early on as a free unkillable scout, and then once I have a holy site in every city I will pop it then to instantly put my religion in all my cities and can then just easily defend it to stop a religious victory for someone else. Obviously if it looks like I am about to lose to a religious victory I will make my religion earlier as needed.

Edit 2

Just saw about amenities - if you don't have any in your city early on then trading for them is the way to go. Also dont panic about them if you are not at war, as the negative from being 1 amenity down is not going to cripple you.

Last edited:
Soldato
How do you deal with sites that have low production? Im finding my starting positions are often rubbish, in a single player i can just restart for a better position but shouldnt really have to do that as its a bit cheating really.

Soldato
OP
Aye, you'll re-roll a bunch - most of the time on the first turn (you can re-roll the map by pressing escape, and then restart game to generate a new seed - but you can only do this on turn 1; it's handy when your starting area is horrific).

I think around a quarter of my games never make it past turn 100, just one of those things; usually from poor starts caused by barbarians, island size, congestion, wrong Civ for the wrong spot, etc - or just a mix of everything. The successful games I rarely even finish, I just make it to turn 220-250 and when I know for a fact I've won, I just re-roll and it's time to make a new game. The higher difficulty you go the more you'll find you need to re-roll as the advantage the computer gets because too problematic with a poor start where you'll likely not be able to catch up.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The restart option can used at any point, I usually give myself 15-20 turns if I do start to see how I think I will like the game. As the games can take many hours to complete i feel this is fully justified lol

Oh yeah, so you can, not sure where I got that from - I always thought it was turn 1 only (maybe Civ 5? or an early Civ 6 version). Your reason for taking 15-20 turns is the same reason I'd immediately restart on turn 1 if i I don't like the look of it :p but aye I can see the reasoning behind giving it 15-20 turns too, might be a case you wander 8 tiles away and there's a natural wonder, which happened in my last game with Paititi 8 tiles to the south of my capital, and that gold income let me churn out 10 extra cities by turn 100. I just tend to instantly restart for reasons such as no fresh water, only one luxury 2 tiles away from capital, no farm area, or next to no production tiles.

Back
Top Bottom