Civilization VI

Soldato
It's still worth the money....

Has anyone had a go with Babylon in the latest update? Probably the hardest civ to adjust to in how to play as them, but also the most fun for spamming your way up a tech tree in really focused ways... Aiming to unlock machinery to build a lumber mill in the classical era made me laugh :)

Soldato
It's still worth the money....

Has anyone had a go with Babylon in the latest update? Probably the hardest civ to adjust to in how to play as them, but also the most fun for spamming your way up a tech tree in really focused ways... Aiming to unlock machinery to build a lumber mill in the classical era made me laugh :)
Playing it now. Science is either all or nothing. You zoom up the tech at times and between eurekas it crawls. Going to be a fast science victory or a complete fail I expect!

Soldato
For Babylon, the lack of easy to achieve Eureka's at the top end of the tree can be a stumbling block. But you can zip along to quite an advantage if you fancy a bit of domination. I kind of enjoyed it but not a mega favourite.

Soldato
For Babylon, the lack of easy to achieve Eureka's at the top end of the tree can be a stumbling block. But you can zip along to quite an advantage if you fancy a bit of domination. I kind of enjoyed it but not a mega favourite.
Yeah that caught me out, everything slowed down suddenly. Throwing a lot of spies at other player cities to steal tech helped.

Soldato
Yeah that caught me out, everything slowed down suddenly. Throwing a lot of spies at other player cities to steal tech helped.

Turns out your infrastructure costs scale with the number of techs you've researched, so it pays to get some districts down before you actual intend to build them to stop everything becoming unmanageable

Associate
Check out the Spiffing Brit on You Tube. There's an exploit which allows you to get to the end of the tech tree in one turn if you're Babylon. (I managed it by turn 14).

If you've got Hercules as well, you can then slap down some districts pretty quick. (e.g. Spaceport, Industrial Zone, Holy Site)

Soldato
Check out the Spiffing Brit on You Tube. There's an exploit which allows you to get to the end of the tech tree in one turn if you're Babylon. (I managed it by turn 14).

If you've got Hercules as well, you can then slap down some districts pretty quick. (e.g. Spaceport, Industrial Zone, Holy Site)
Wow that is an exploit! Not easy to do though

Soldato
Ok so I sat down to have a proper go with Civ/Gathering Storms etc.

I have to say Im even more confoozed by this game....

1. Im well chummy with a Civ, but said Civ decided to attack one of the Civ States Im a Suzerian of. There is no "alliance" or anything like that with the Civ state which auto triggers me getting into the war against the once chummy Civ. Furthermore. I discovered that because I am "friends" with the Civ, I cant even attack them! Seriously, wtf?

2. So Ive amassed a HOOOGE army (points wise something like 3000 vs "Chummy Civs" 1000 points odd?)

I have like 10 Missile Cruise Armadas, so Im thinking this is going to be a carpet bombing thing taking one city at a time... What do I discover...
all 10 Missile Cruise Armadas (this means 3 X Missile Cruisers in one unit) BARELY dent a cities defenses!!!!

And dont get me a started on the death robot.... I have like 10 modern armors... again not even a scratch...

Seriously peeved off with the above, I could easily win the game on Diplomatic Victory Points but I decided I want to do a military victory....

Can anyone give me any advice or tips on what Im doing wrong, appreciate its difficult to explain fully but I hope you get the gist from above...

Soldato
Ok so I sat down to have a proper go with Civ/Gathering Storms etc.

I have to say Im even more confoozed by this game....

1. Im well chummy with a Civ, but said Civ decided to attack one of the Civ States Im a Suzerian of. There is no "alliance" or anything like that with the Civ state which auto triggers me getting into the war against the once chummy Civ. Furthermore. I discovered that because I am "friends" with the Civ, I cant even attack them! Seriously, wtf?

2. So Ive amassed a HOOOGE army (points wise something like 3000 vs "Chummy Civs" 1000 points odd?)

I have like 10 Missile Cruise Armadas, so Im thinking this is going to be a carpet bombing thing taking one city at a time... What do I discover...
all 10 Missile Cruise Armadas (this means 3 X Missile Cruisers in one unit) BARELY dent a cities defenses!!!!

And dont get me a started on the death robot.... I have like 10 modern armors... again not even a scratch...

Seriously peeved off with the above, I could easily win the game on Diplomatic Victory Points but I decided I want to do a military victory....

Can anyone give me any advice or tips on what Im doing wrong, appreciate its difficult to explain fully but I hope you get the gist from above...
I’ve found friendly civs attacking suzerain city states odd too. What I do to stop them I start positioning my units next to the suzerain city centre. This stops them taking the city.

If you are late game then death robots and also nukes are going to get you a city in a single turn.

Soldato
Yep thanks. That's what I also read somewhere about positioning units in the civ state.

But concerning mtiatry late game.

Doesn't it make it kinda defunct to go to war if it's just damned difficult to bombard a city? Am I missing something here?

Man of Honour
Doesn't it make it kinda defunct to go to war if it's just damned difficult to bombard a city? Am I missing something here?

I never really bother with a military victory but in a way I guess it makes sense, it does kind of reflect why the next world war probably wont be a military one and why we havent had a major war for so long. The world has changed as we have advanced and you could argue that diplomatic, economic and cultural "wars" are far more effective in the world now than massing an army to conquer. We could point to China's manufacturing (so much, even in the west, seems to say Made in China on the side) or America's Culture (music, tv shows, movies) as examples of that.

Soldato
Yes but then whats the point of later game military units? Doesnt it defeat the objective?

I genuinely dont get how I am supposed to penetrate a citys defenses, despite bombarding them with so many ranged units and melee units... just doesnt make sense to me.

Man of Honour
Yes but then whats the point of later game military units? Doesnt it defeat the objective?

I genuinely dont get how I am supposed to penetrate a citys defenses, despite bombarding them with so many ranged units and melee units... just doesnt make sense to me.

No idea...as I say, I dont bother with military victories because it takes too long to go around the map taking every capital city (I only play on Marathon game length and only on the largest map size possible, with as many Civs as possible), all I tend to do is take coastal cities (using the 4 range battleships, so that they can pummel cities and the cities cant hit the ships because they are out of range) and then I tend to simply convert all the remaining cities using the Loyalty system to make the cities rebel and then join me. I've taken hundreds of enemy cities without ever needing to field a land unit against them. Loyalty is a crazy powerful way to conquer huge swathes of land

Soldato
Why do you take coastal cities?

Also can you tell me how much damage do you do in the end game with battleships on a city? As I mentioned above, even with missile defenders I dont seem to be scratching the surface...

Back
Top Bottom