Comfortable Sports Tourer

Soldato
What about a ZZR1200? Any big kwak owners here?

druids.jpg

I have a zzr1200 and is not very comfortable many replace the seat with a corbin seat.

I have also ridden an FJR1300 my local dealer has one it is very comphy but feels gutless in comparison to zzr1200.

Edit: The seat is the only issue with the zzr1200 apart from that a very nice ride.

Last edited:
Caporegime
VFR --> Always liked VFRs would class this as a curve-ball/wildcard. 750s are generally ropey, they're old and 800s are expensive. Are they expensive the maintain? Would be more sporty though, will keep my eyes open.

you can get a near min low mileage vfr800 fith gen (the best one, pre vetech) for under your budget. i got mine for 2.6

not that dificult to work on hers some pics of mien when i stripped it to mess around with it

http://imgur.com/a/VU7gw#0

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just rang a dealer about a part ex my bike for a Sprint ST... they have several in stock but sold the one i was interested in :( They have others though.

Any rough guesses what i should get for my bike?

'10 GSX650F
2100 miles
FSH
Pretty damn spotless
R&G tail tidy, Puig screen and hugger, Mivv exhaust. I have all originals.

Associate
I've yet to need to, but is it the case that taking the exhaust off and replacing stock in order to sell the Mivv will be more efficient? Though if it's a pretty cheap mivv then effort might be > reward.

Also yaay ST :).

Associate
If you like the bike I would suggest a higher screen, risers for handles, adjustable pegs, sculpted seat. The seat is the most expensive but chances are if you sell the bike you will get your money back on a decent gel seat as we're all getting old and creaky and for older riders it's something that might say 'buy me' over a stock bike.

Other than what's been suggested, I can only suggest a ZZR1400 or Thunderace (have/had both). The ZZR14 is a rocket in a straight line but great all rounder. Handles at least as good as the Ace and that was easy to flick about (that said I am on the larger side). The Ace is cheap, but most need an oil top up after 1000 miles or so. Pack a small bottle of oil under the cavernous seat.

The zzr14 has enough storage space under the seat for a couple of postage stamps, so not really practical without boxes on. Everyone wants the 12 plate on so pre 12 you get a lot of bike for your cash, 200+ mile range, hyperspeed or pussycat round town, loads of them to choose from etc.

Soldato
OP
the mileage and service history will add value

no idea on price but id be looking at similar for sale and aim at around or above that,depends on the miles/ect

I've yet to need to, but is it the case that taking the exhaust off and replacing stock in order to sell the Mivv will be more efficient? Though if it's a pretty cheap mivv then effort might be > reward.

Also yaay ST :).

They came back with £3K i told them no. I could sell for up to £3500 stock i think and sell the accessories separately.

Update though, my biker neighbour has a Blackbird, i'm going to try it out next week, will try not to kill myself :p

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Update though, my biker neighbour has a Blackbird, i'm going to try it out next week, will try not to kill myself :p

Nice bike the Blackbird, damn shame the bloody footpegs too close to the seat for a long legged lanky sod like me, gave me cramp, & I only had it for an hour as me & a mate swapped bikes on a ride out.

Soldato
OP
Nice bike the Blackbird, damn shame the bloody footpegs too close to the seat for a long legged lanky sod like me, gave me cramp, & I only had it for an hour as me & a mate swapped bikes on a ride out.

That's my problem currently. What's your inside leg size for trousers (oh my!) if you don't mind me asking.

Soldato
VFR --> Always liked VFRs would class this as a curve-ball/wildcard. 750s are generally ropey, they're old and 800s are expensive. Are they expensive the maintain? Would be more sporty though, will keep my eyes open.

It depends on what you class as expensive I suppose. £2500 gives you a pretty wide selection of the older 800's.

I'd be looking at a Triumph Sprint to be honest. Does everything the VFR does but with a gruntier engine. Plenty of them around with the integrated hard luggage as well.

The FJ1200 is an antique, and looks it.

Last edited:

VoG

VoG

Soldato

That's my problem currently. What's your inside leg size for trousers (oh my!) if you don't mind me asking.

Ive no idea but I'm 6 ft 3 & wear 34 leg jeans, it got me in the back of the knees, I had to take my feet off the pegs once in a while & stretch my legs out, my mates maybe 4 inches shorter than me & doesn't have any problems.

Last edited:
Soldato

Just buy a peg lowering kit

http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/bird2.htm

Lovely bikes the Blackbird. I've owned two - I much preferred the older carbed one though as I found the later one a bit too smooth and turbine like.

Soldato
Interesting. Any issues with the gear shifter once the pegs are lowered? Don't want to then make it a pain to brake or change gear.

Not sure - I never needed them, but it is a common mod that a lot of riders say makes a huge difference. Gear change should be easy to adjust, not sure about rear brake.

Associate
Not ridden a blackbird, but this months Bike mag had someone write in saying the old carb'd ones were crap below 6krpm, terrifying above it.

Bah. Terrifying is finding out your exup valve has been knackered since you bought the bike and blunts power until 9k rpm then tries it's best to tankslap you through the nearest dry stone wall at some daft speed.

Nearest I've come to ******** myself.

Depending on what you're used to, suggest short shifting the Blackbird and riding the torque, especially as it's someone elses bike :)

Soldato
It's a Honda. Honda don't make bikes that fit that description. The carbed bike definitely has a more raw feel to it but its definitely not scary in any way. The only bike I've ridden that fits that description is the ZX12R - now that had a kick that I never got used to!

Back
Top Bottom