*** Coming soon *** custom built laptops from OcUK

RTB

RTB

Associate
Hi there,

Just to let you know that in the very near future OcUK will be selling custom built laptops.

Screen sizes: 15.4" & 17"
Resolutions: WXGA, WSXGA+, WUXGA
Graphics: integrated Nvidia 9300m 256Mb, 9600GS, 9800 GTS, 9800 GTX card

With an assortment of CPUs [including Centrino 2's], RAM upto 4Gb, HDD upto 320Gb [500Gb due shortly] (or possibly solid state), DVD/Blu Ray, choice of O/S.

Standard will be webcams, wireless [with Shirley Peak on the high end], bluetooth & biometrics [on the high end].

Prices will range from the super affordable to incredible value for money high enders!

Laptop barebones arrive in roughly 2 weeks - watch this space!
Cheers,

Rupert
MD - OcUK

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
This is indeed interesting!

Guess not going smaller than 15.4"?

How near is near? Parents need new laptop! Only need certain things

Hi,

Smaller than 15.4? Not to start with but where we go will depend on the interest level - which we expect to be good - so fingers crossed!

How near? Just waiting on the barebones delivery due in c.2 weeks, and then time to build, test, prep etc

Warranties will be a minimum of c.1 year [possibly 2] and probably 6 months on the battery.

Good to see there's some interest.... we'll be loading them on on the web tomorrow as pre-orders.

Regards,

Rupert

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
will the 17inch notebooks have a full keyboard including a numeric pad? also will you be using quality motherboards and screens? I was going to buy the HP 8710W but I will wait to see what you offer! a big thing for me is having SPDIF audio out like the Sony and Asus have + others

Hi,

Details to follow within the next few days....watch this space...but we're OcUK we're in the business of performance hardware.

Cheers

R

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
I wasn't aware there was going to be a 9800GTS, will be interested to see the price of the 9800GTX additions.

Will there be the option of SLI 9800's? ;)

Hi,

I'm not aware of an SLI solution as yet - it'd be great - but I guess we'll have to wait for that! We're just exploring the cpu choices as want to offer a good range.

RTB

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
Hi,

The first batch of mid to high end laptops are now on the site - value and higher end to follow within the next couple of days.

We have used the latest Centrino 2 chips and included solid state hard drive options; other things on the list include - oc versions & blu ray.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=959&catid=1236

We'll have some close up shots of the laptops tomorrow when we receive the high res images from the manufacturer.

Interested in any feedback that you have!

Cheers,

Rupert
MD - OcUK

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
Also agree price is a little high.
there is not enough customisable options either.

I personally am looking for a 15.4" clevo with 9800gt for approx 1k. I am not bothered about cpu as I would upgrade that later.

Hold fire! We're working on it....

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
Also agree price is a little high.
there is not enough customisable options either.

I personally am looking for a 15.4" clevo with 9800gt for approx 1k. I am not bothered about cpu as I would upgrade that later.

what sort of options were you looking for?

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
The problem is, you can pick up a 2.1GHz XPS for £670ish.

Compared to your Aero 8400 which has lesser gfx for £330 more.

I personally couldn't justify paying the extra cash for it.

Hi,

Difficult to compare the two.

Ours is Centrino 2, DDR3, larger battery, longer warranty - to name but a few

Whilst we sell many Dells the one I think you're referring to is "End of Life" and whilst its a bargain today you're buying a previous model that limits any upgrade potential.

We'll have some £500/£600 solutions with next gen gear that'll compete nicely with the XPS...but at the end of the day you pay for what you get and I am confident our prices will be very competitive.

Afterall I want you guys to buy them :D

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
It's not that much better than DDR2 to be honest.

Look forward to seeing the value range, hopefully something sub £400 that beats the specs of the Lenovo N200.
Please give the value range 2 year warranty as well.

RTB - sorry for delay. With regards to customising, I personally would like to see:

CPU
Gfx
RAM*
HD*
OS* and option of no OS (*as you have done)
Reason being I have a budget of 1k as previously mentioned and I want the best gfx I can get (as this is not easily upgradeable later) and will scrimp everywhere else. Then I can upgrade other components later.
I know the 15.4" is capable of 9800gt so would preferably like this option but it would be nice to see the cost difference with the gts so I can make an informed choice.

If you could offer gfx upgrades in the future too that would be awesome.

Hi all,

Points noted - its very early days - we've put up the mid range product up to get your feedback which we're getting - thanks.

Work to do....watch this space

;)

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
Can you confirm the following

1. Are the screens Glossy or not?
2. Are you going to offer a Zero Pixels defect policy like Asus does?
3. If not what will your Dead Pixel policy be?
4. Can you confirm if the unit has "SPDIF Out" as it would appear you are using a Clevo case which should have it
5. When will the options for selecting Blue Ray Drives be available?
6. Any idea's on the size of power supply? The Dell XPS is like a Brick?
7. Any idea's on Battery life under normal operating?
8. Will the OS disk install all the correct drivers? or will you be providing a drivers disk with all laptops?
9. Will there be an option to have dual HDD, like Dell, Sony, Asus and others ?
10. Will you be publishing the total Weight of the laptop
11. Will you be offering the 6mb C2D notebook chips?

Thants all for now

Excellent list.... we'll answer as soon as we can, the first order for a large stock has just been placed, with an expected eta of between 2 weeks from our overseas colleagues. On receipt we'll do a full spec run down anyway, buit as we get the information we'll pass it on here - first!

Cheers,

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
I have to congratulate you Rup on this idea, I take it rob is very happy with this as well :D

Would be nice to see £299 laptops to compete with the likes of the major shop retailers

Maybe a Celeron based system.

when will the parts become ready to purchase so the daring people can build their own laptop.

pity I'm not there to build these babies

Can you upload some real life pictures of the case and laptop its self, so people get an idea of real life looks.

Thanks Chris - yes Mr Gould is already getting excited about a new set of screwdrivers!!

We will have a full range of pics shortly.

Cheers

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
Another observation, even though it's saturday ;)

The Titan Mobile - 15.4" WXGA Laptop changes specs between the Custom Laptop splash screen and when you look at it's specs, from a 9800M GTS to a 9600M GS 256MB

I mean if you guys wanna give me one as a prize for spotting that, I don't mind it actually comes with a lesser spec card...

Well spotted! You buy one and I give you a free game of GRID!

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
Another quick qustion, is it going to be possible for you to get the mxm gfx cards in at some point so we could upgrade them ourselves?

Thats one thing I hate about laptops, having to sell it and buy another when the gfx become out of date

Currently, the graphics cards are supplied direct from the manufacturer e.g. Nvidia to the barebone manufacturer from whom we buy from and thus, no.

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
We are reading & listening!

I'm going to be buying a ~£550 15.4 laptop around the start of september, for university, so this is interesting.

Is 1280x800 a decent res for this size as I have no laptop experience? Do higher res screens such as the 1440 I was looking at on a dell studio get quite cramped on this screen size?

The primo mobile to be slightly cheaper than a studio of similar spec too. (5750, 4gb, 160gb. However, there's a 9300 GS vs a 3450 and backlit keyboard). Only thing is there is delivery to add on top for OcUK

Also with the studio I noticed it is £40 more expensive to upgrade from a 5750 to the 8300 than on a 1530, as well as there being no option for the 8100, which is an annoyance.

Edit:
A suggestion would be 3GB ram for the primo mobile.

Hi all,

Please feel free to discuss this product range in detail (obviously without straying too far outside forum rules) - I am very keen to understand what you think works and does not work to ensure that we can deliver the very best customised laptop solution on the market.

To answer a few questions;
1. Yes, the range will grow
2. Yes, there will be more choices - e.g. Res, CPUs etc
3. Yes, we will have high res shots as soon as we can and you won't be disappointed - we've spent considerable time tracking down the right look
4. Yes, we will be showing off detail specs including a build and dismantle guide
5. and Yes, there WILL be an overclocked version.

...but all this depends on you and how many you buy!!!

6. and Yes, I'll give a discount for bulk orders ;) but make them big :D

We've already had an exciting number of orders for a pre-order product such as this - so keep the thoughts coming and we WILL be reading them.

Thanks for choosing OcUK Forums...

Rupert

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
What chassis will these laptops be using? I'm guessing Sager or Clevo. Model numbers would be great.

I am very close to ordering a mid-range laptop and these offerings could sway my decision. Was looking for 9800M GT graphics, you seem to have the GTS and GTX, is the GT a possibility for the release laptops?

See post 96 & 99 :D

Back
Top Bottom