*** Coming soon *** custom built laptops from OcUK

Soldato
Hi all,

Points noted - its very early days - we've put up the mid range product up to get your feedback which we're getting - thanks.

Work to do....watch this space

;)

Sorry my post about DDR3 wasn't in respect to the price you are quoting, it was generalising that DDR3 isn't that much better than DDR2. DDR3 is still quite expensive, and I don't think the performance increase reflects the price that DDR3 is being sold at all over the computer industry.

Permabanned
I personally would like to see:

CPU
Gfx
RAM* Do you really need DDR3??
HD*
OS* and option of no OS (*as you have done)
Reason being I have a budget of 1k as previously mentioned and I want the best gfx I can get (as this is not easily upgradeable later) and will scrimp everywhere else. Then I can upgrade other components later.
I know the 15.4" is capable of 9800gt so would preferably like this option but it would be nice to see the cost difference with the gts so I can make an informed choice.

If you could offer gfx upgrades in the future too that would be awesome.

That's just what I want to see. I thought the prices would be a bit lower though . . .

Another thing can you overclock the cpu with this chipset?

Last edited:
Associate
wow just seen the price drops! Loving the aero 8600 @ £998 inc vat model!

When are these likely due? I really want one before september if possible.

@ Scoobie Dave - This is not known yet. You can OC the older clevo 17" with setfsb. Until this is released and we find the PLL I dont think anyone will be able to answer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just an observation, the Aero 8400 (badged as OcUK Value) is a better spec and more expensive than the Aero 8400 below which is badged as OcUK Extreme?

Soldato
The price modifications have made those laptops far more appealing, what else is out there that uses the Centrino 2 platform with 9800 graphics? I'm not sure what there is to compare them to...

It's a good addition to the store I think and if more modification options are added I can see them being popular.

Associate
Good job on the price cuts. I find the fact that you guys have taken our comments on board is absolutely brilliant.

I look forward to seeing your budget offerings now.

Associate
Looking very promising so far, especially if more customised options are provided. I would also particularly like to see more graphics card and CPU options.

I would also be very interested interested in a 17" screen @ 1440x900 option for the 8400 range . A higher resolution would not enable recent games to be played with the 9600M GS graphics card at native resolution. I think a 1440x900 would hit the sweet spot for this graphics card.

Cheers
Scorp

Associate
Can you confirm the following

1. Are the screens Glossy or not?
2. Are you going to offer a Zero Pixels defect policy like Asus does?
3. If not what will your Dead Pixel policy be?
4. Can you confirm if the unit has "SPDIF Out" as it would appear you are using a Clevo case which should have it
5. When will the options for selecting Blue Ray Drives be available?
6. Any idea's on the size of power supply? The Dell XPS is like a Brick?
7. Any idea's on Battery life under normal operating?
8. Will the OS disk install all the correct drivers? or will you be providing a drivers disk with all laptops?
9. Will there be an option to have dual HDD, like Dell, Sony, Asus and others ?
10. Will you be publishing the total Weight of the laptop
11. Will you be offering the 6mb C2D notebook chips?

Thants all for now

Last edited:

RTB

RTB

Associate
OP
Can you confirm the following

1. Are the screens Glossy or not?
2. Are you going to offer a Zero Pixels defect policy like Asus does?
3. If not what will your Dead Pixel policy be?
4. Can you confirm if the unit has "SPDIF Out" as it would appear you are using a Clevo case which should have it
5. When will the options for selecting Blue Ray Drives be available?
6. Any idea's on the size of power supply? The Dell XPS is like a Brick?
7. Any idea's on Battery life under normal operating?
8. Will the OS disk install all the correct drivers? or will you be providing a drivers disk with all laptops?
9. Will there be an option to have dual HDD, like Dell, Sony, Asus and others ?
10. Will you be publishing the total Weight of the laptop
11. Will you be offering the 6mb C2D notebook chips?

Thants all for now

Excellent list.... we'll answer as soon as we can, the first order for a large stock has just been placed, with an expected eta of between 2 weeks from our overseas colleagues. On receipt we'll do a full spec run down anyway, buit as we get the information we'll pass it on here - first!

Cheers,

Associate
WHy is the primo mobile £404.96 (£475.83) and then £630.96 - £741.38 inc VAT when you go into it ?

EDIT: Know why know, you have to customise the price down, a 128GB SSD is selected as default, then every other HDD reduces the price

Last edited:
Associate
Take it the one showing as in stock actualy is'nt instock? It's now a tough choice between your cheapest and the Lenovo N200.
Your 2 year warranty is swinging it though.

Lenovo is £100 cheaper and comes with XP Pro, but has integrated graphics.
The benchmarks on the Primo Mobile's Nvidia GeForce 9300M look very tasty though.

aarrgghh you just made choosing a laptop 2x as hard :p

Associate
Primo Mobile is definitely more like it :)
The bases these things are built on also seem to be nicely equipped- card readers, DVI, HDMI etc.

The tooltip for upgrades also gives component prices, which may or may not be intentional ;) Nice to see a RAM upgrade for less than the shop price for a change. Would still like to see a choice of screen res, GFX and wider CPU range though. Maybe an option to not have some of those components for a bit of self-building.

Associate
I would like to know the weight of each model.

Although that is probably impossible untill you build them.

As an earlier poster said, it would be nice to see a 15" 9600 model for roughly £500 starting price.

If that could be done, i would buy - depending on the weight of course :)

Soldato
Hell, these are starting to look interesting. Try to work on some budget models with high end graphics though. I wouldn't mind skimping on the rest of the system if I've got far more graphics power than I expected for the price, as these days with a modern cpu and 2+GB RAM its gonna be the GPU thats the major bottleneck for any gamer in a laptop.

Any 9800GTX laptops go below £1000, or any 9800GTS below £800 and damn I'll be sorely tempted, and if you could manage it you'd probably steal a fair chunk of customers from the gaming laptop manufacturers.
Might not be possible, but given the reputation Dell have for giving massive discounts on some of their gear on occassion, I'd imagine a high end mobile GPU is achievable more affordably than most would expect, and the market is there for exploit; weaker overall machine with high end gpu, normally it's all high or nothing; and I'm sure you'd rather sell a higher load with a slightly smaller margin than a low amount with high margin (depending on figures ofc!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom