Commodore Amiga owners thread!

Soldato
Still got my original Amiga 500+

Never upgraded the ram or anything, just had to swap the floppies at the machines request.

Ridiculously nostalgic memories, my parents originally bought it as a family computer that would be used for homework and a few games. I remember me and my dad unwrapped it Christmas morning together, I'd never seen one before and it was completely unexpected.

My sister moaned about how could it be a family present when she didn't care for it (ungrateful brat) but that made it all the sweeter :D

Seeing the box with captain planet and the Simpsons on it blew my mind!!

Of course it became a 100% games machine :D

Soldato
I think I got mine from my mums catalogue at the time, I just remember turning it on & the music from Starray coming on, what a step up from a 48k speccy.

So many hours spent playing Kick off 2, speedball and sensi until one day I think we had a power surge and it blew a fuse, I took it to a local shop who charged me a fortune to fix it and took ages to do so, when I finally got it home they had changed the board and it was back to 1.2 so none of my games worked anymore.....I'm pretty sure all it really needed was a fuse changed in the PSU but I was rather clueless at the time. They eventually fully repaired it and put it back to 1.3 but by then I had lost interest.

Associate
I also remember thinking it was really cool that you could get the Amiga to talk using the application in Workbench, many hours spent as a teenager getting the Amiga to speak profanities lol.

I had dedicated buttons in Directory Opus for profanities!

pMBx8bJ.png

Ha ha..

Soldato
I think when I got my Amiga it was a bundle with Rainbow Islands and Turrican in.

Played most of the games mentioned on here, but it was Sensible World of Soccer that proved to be the staple of my latter teenage years. Mates would all stop off on their way home from school to have a few games.

We got so good (we thought) that we entered a competition in the newly opened GAME store. 50 or so entrants as I remember and three of us who knew each other got into the semi finals and I won it, receiving my prize from a then still healthy Paul Gascoigne on the pitch at Woking football club. My SWOS T-shirt in the bag of swag was much coveted at school. Happy days.

I seem to recall two popular joysticks on the platform at that time, one was called a Competition Pro I think, but I remember having a preference for the other competing product that had yellow as opposed to red buttons.

Associate
OP
Man... I miss my A500... I wish I hadn't sold it. Sold the damn thing for $100 back in 1996 with the monitor, printer, all my software and accessories.

I should have kept it. They really last. I probably would only have had to change the battery and maybe clean some contacts and I bet even the floppy drive would still work.

Man of Honour
I seem to recall two popular joysticks on the platform at that time, one was called a Competition Pro I think, but I remember having a preference for the other competing product that had yellow as opposed to red buttons.

That'll be the Zipstick then. I didn't mind that or the Competition Pro. Got multiples of both.

Ree

Ree

Associate
this game has yet to be beaten on any platform

sensible_world_of_soccer_95-96_04.png

oh man..good times, what a cracking game that was.

Soldato
These should certainly jog some memories :)

**Family forum mate - no boobs allowed.... well uncovered ones anyway - Stelly**

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Got my Amiga Pinball Mania today, so much fun! I think I reach a billion in score and that was my best yet.

Lost 2 Zool discs though.. Going to have to hunt tomorrow!

Also can any recommend a fast loader? I only have a tape deck, but can get a floppy drive if need be. Was looking at the Epyx Fastload Reloaded, slots into the memory port.

Soldato
Man... I miss my A500... I wish I hadn't sold it. Sold the damn thing for $100 back in 1996 with the monitor, printer, all my software and accessories.

I should have kept it. They really last. I probably would only have had to change the battery and maybe clean some contacts and I bet even the floppy drive would still work.

I wish I had kept my a1200 too. I only sold it about 4 years ago as it was just gathering dust in the loft. Apart from the Base unit it had a cd32 extension cd drive, many games, original box. I only got about £60 for it on the bay. Although I wish I hadn't sold it, it would never have been down out of the loft if I had kept it. My kids aren't interested in these old computers now they have x boxes, tablets and pcs to play with. Funny how something can have such a strong sentimental attachment. I almost didn't let it go after the auction finished but I forced myself to.

Associate
I didnt own an amiga my brother did tho

Being young like 7 years old i used to spend hours with him playing north and south

When he used to go work i used to sneak on to play on it with games like pong f18 interceptor ( i think thats what it was called)

I can also remember watching him play powermonger and sitting there wondering what was going on id love have a go of that today to see what kept him playing that for hours on end

Associate
I had an Amiga 600 and later a couple of CD32s, like most the 600 was used mainly as a games machine but also for Octamed and sound sampling and listening to music mod tracks.

If I were buying an Amiga these days I would go for an Amiga 600, true the 1200 does have the AGA chipset but really not many games seemed to use it and with the smaller form factor of the 600 and the new vampire accelerator and still being able to use laptop hard drives and cheaper price it makes sense or just get a raspberry pi.

I tried to convince myself at the time that the CD32 was great but in reality it was basically a re-release of loads of Amiga 500 games with a CD sound track if you were lucky, hardly anything took advantage of the CD format except maybe Simon the Sorcerer with the audio talkie soundtrack, it also had one of the worse controllers I have ever used so I ended up selling this.

For me my favourate games were Hired Guns, Turrican, Apidya, Stunt car racer, shufflepuck cafe, midnight resistance, Wizkid, knights of the sky, hunter and escape from colditz.

Soldato
I had a 1200 and remember one day finding someone selling a 2mb RAM upgrade card for £1 at a car boot! It was like I'd won the lottery!

All those great demos on the fronts of magazines. I can remember Scorched Tanks was one - absolute hours I poured into that game. Certainly don't make them like that these days!

Great thread BTW and Neil - that collection is awe inspiring for an enthusiast!

Back
Top Bottom