Commodore Amiga owners thread!

Man of Honour
C= really should have equipped the 1200 with 1MB of fast ram, it would’ve doubled the performance.

But they wanted to save money and shout about 2MB chip ram instead. 1MB chip and 1MB fast ram out of the box would’ve worked better, with a cheap 1MB chip upgrade available through the clockport maybe, keeping the trapdoor free?

Yes I can see that. I'm currently reading David Pleasence's: The inside story. Lots of wrongs at Commodore unfortunately.

Soldato
Which monitor is this. I have the 1084S and the blacks are not that black. Nice monitor though in RGB.

It was a 1084, but not sure of the exact model. One of the early ones. Later models had grey screen, but mine was a deep black. Unfortunately I don't have the monitor any more so I can't verify the exact model.

Soldato
there are some amazing stories of ppl picking up ppc equipped amigas back in the early 2000s for pocket change. Those sorts of finds are now worth 1000s!
Yeh, it was probably 2000 or 1999 I sold my boxed A500 with mouse, joysticks, loads of boxed games and other bits at a carboot sale for £30 or £40. It was more the space it took up.
Some of the boxed games like Shadow of the beast II would go for £30 now I expect.
Amiga emulation is good enough for me currently. Way more power and huge space saver

Qxi6jJzh.jpg.png

Associate
Amiga emulation is brilliant.. I went through a period of trying to get the best out of my A1200 with ACA accelerators, Indivision VGA etc and while it was nice to have the real hardware, I had to be honest with myself that the experience was just better under WinUAE.

Interestingly I don’t feel the same way about Megadrive or SNES emulators, the physical consoles are a must for me.

Soldato
Amiga emulation is brilliant.. I went through a period of trying to get the best out of my A1200 with ACA accelerators, Indivision VGA etc and while it was nice to have the real hardware, I had to be honest with myself that the experience was just better under WinUAE.

Interestingly I don’t feel the same way about Megadrive or SNES emulators, the physical consoles are a must for me.

I feared I was going to go down the same route when I started looking at upgraded A1200s, then I asked myself 'Why?' Is there anything physical Amiga hardware can do that WinUAE on any modern PC cannot?

Me neither... :) (not used for months but just fired up to have a quick game now)

1NrIWL9h.jpg.png

bXnAhxLh.jpg.png

Soldato
Beautiful machine! Was always an MD fanboy as a kid but learned to love the SNES in my 20s.
I never had either as a kid but had friends who owned NES, Master system, MD or SNES (and later PSX, N64 etc.)
I went from Amiga in 1991 to PC in 1996, never had any games consoles as a 'kid' Think the first I bought was a 2nd hand PSX in around 1999. I was discusted at the performance and graphics of FPS games on the PSX when compared to the PC but the Tekken series sold it to me.

Soldato
Hi @Guest2

Yeah, they're all upgraded to the hilt. Specs are:

A4000
WarpEngine 060 96Mhz
Mediator PCI busboard
Radeon 9200 128MB
Indivision AGA Scandoubler/flickerfixer
G3 750 1Ghz PPC PCI
SB128
Deneb Zorro USB/flashrom
Prisma Megamix mp3/flac decoder
ICY V2 I2C controller
RTL NIC

A3000
WarpEngine 060 80Mhz
CyberVision 64 4MB
Deneb
GoldenGate 486SLC2 PC Bridgeboard with TI486SXLC 50mhz upgrade
Tseng ET4000AX ISA VGA
ESS1868F ISA soundcard

AA3000+
WarpEngine 060 80Mhz
Prometheus PCI busboard
G4 7410 450Mhz PPC PCI
DSP3210 DSP
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI
ZZ9000 RTG
Delfina Flipper 16bit soundcard
Prisma Megamix
Freeway Pro USB

A1200
TF1260 060 100Mhz
Indivision AGA 2 Scandoubler/flickerfixer
IDEFix Express IDE upgrade
Solas clockport board

A500
ACA500Plus
Blizzard 1260 060 80Mhz

in terms of 68k performance, the Warp1260 at it's max 105mhz would be slightly faster than the 100mhz TF1260 in my machine, however the TF has faster ram access speed, so they're probably very very similar. The WarpEngine's in all the other machines are a little slower, but they're still one of the fastest examples of a 'classic' accelerator from the 90s.

The PPC PCI cards in the 4000 and AA3000+ will blow anything Amiga out of the water - they're later P3 in terms of processing power. The busboards in these machines are a bit of a bottle neck compared to the PCI bus in a PC, so the Voodoo3 and the Radeon 9200 are slowed somewhat. That said, you're looking at 70+fps for GLQuake at 640x480, and around 35-40fps for Quake 3.

Price-wise... well, it'd be hard to sell any of these machines in a one-er as we'd be talking thousands each. If all the individual bits were parted out, and the base machines sold off, we're talking maybe five figures in total, not four!

The Jewel in the crown for me is your 3000 I have owned the others many times over the closest I got was having the amber card in my 4000.

Soldato
The A500 Mini has got me thinking about getting out my A1000 to see if it still works, as well as my old floppies to see if I can transfer some of my old personal files over.

I didn't realise but there's now an add-on for the A1000 called the Parceiro which adds 8mb RAM and an SD card for storage, real time clock battery, and even allows flashing of kickstart ROMs (though apparently that feature requires a mainboard mod).
Pricey at $200 but it's tempting, if my A1000 still works.

Soldato
That Parceiro board does look great. Another option is the icomp aca500plus as this reportedly works on the A1000 too. The list of features this board has is amazing.

Man of Honour
I have just set up the A1200 in the bedroom, don't ask me how I got away with this, I'm very surprised haha.

I love this space, I really feel like I'm back in the early 90's again here. I just wish I could get away with a Monkey Island poster above now but I have to draw lines.

Soldato
I have just set up the A1200 in the bedroom, don't ask me how I got away with this, I'm very surprised haha.

I love this space, I really feel like I'm back in the early 90's again here. I just wish I could get away with a Monkey Island poster above now but I have to draw lines.

Beautiful :)
I would personlly get a tank mouse, ugly as they are they just seem to remind me of my A500 days.
Another joystick too. I'm loving my Zipstick, even for Mortal Kombat II with the single button config. What stick is that, Quickshot?

Man of Honour
Beautiful :)
I would personlly get a tank mouse, ugly as they are they just seem to remind me of my A500 days.
Another joystick too. I'm loving my Zipstick, even for Mortal Kombat II with the single button config. What stick is that, Quickshot?

Thank you, yes I've got a couple more joysticks up in the loft but I do agree with the tank mouse, going to source one of those.

Soldato
Thank you, yes I've got a couple more joysticks up in the loft but I do agree with the tank mouse, going to source one of those.
Theres a great condition one on ebay but it appears to have had the 'Commadore', 'Made in Malaysia' and serial no. ground off or cleaned.

Soldato

Kudos.

I would use a cheap projector to put Amiga posters on the wall.

I'm off to the next South West Amiga group meet with my A1200 in May.

Back
Top Bottom