Community Fibre

Voucher arrived!! I do get wired connection drop out between my tv and the router sometimes, though that might have been me moving the tv and stretching the connection (I really hope not though)

Good they are still honouring the vouchers for new customers, btw you can get an ethernet connector if you don't want to stretch the cable, one ethernet connector with metre or two of cable will be better then stretching the cable. I actually purchased two shielded ethernet connectors (less then 10 quid) so I could use them and it saved me buying extra long ethernet cable, so handy to have.

Last edited:
Afternoon all,
I have been with CF several months and its been all ok except struggling to get the full speeds in the office upstairs. I have a wifi-extender and then using a lan cable from that to my PC which isn't ideal, gives me like 40mb down.

I am considering just replacing the original router, I saw the Amazon Eero 6+ is on sale, not sure how much better this router and secondary node would be than what I have in all honesty but maybe worth a try?

Alternative is I run an ethernet cable but I am in a terrace so would be over the roof :D

Afternoon all,
I have been with CF several months and its been all ok except struggling to get the full speeds in the office upstairs. I have a wifi-extender and then using a lan cable from that to my PC which isn't ideal, gives me like 40mb down.

I am considering just replacing the original router, I saw the Amazon Eero 6+ is on sale, not sure how much better this router and secondary node would be than what I have in all honesty but maybe worth a try?

Alternative is I run an ethernet cable but I am in a terrace so would be over the roof :D
Rj45 over the roof all the way! Or in the house. Unless you want to spend loads on WiFi gear.

If you check eBay there are loads of the routers for sale which can be used to extend your network...they were going for about £40. Might be worth a try before you buy a drum of cat 5/6

No off course not, but you'd have 2 x wifi 6 which i would imagine would give you decent coverage (to be precise I mean the router that comes with community fibre) i use mine regularly to download/upload video files for work and if i stand in the same room as the router with my laptop it's fast enough to not bother plugging it in.

Last edited:
Anyone had any issues with overwatch recently?

Since Monday there has been infrequently 0.7% outbound packetloss on AMS1 server group. Both machines get the packetloss blink symbol at the same time (playing in a party), both are wired. Other games are fine, packetloss tests are fine, pinging google or bbc for X amount is fine, seems like it's just overwatch. It's not constantly and it's always 0.7% outbound loss when it happens according to Overwatch.

Can't ping specific servers outside game because Blizzard decided to make troubleshooting hard. No longer get the server ip from netgraph, you only get a string of numbers.

Last edited:
I'd be weary of using wifi backhaul connections. Make sure you configure yours properly to reduce overlap and interferrence. Because I've experienced it and it's not fun to diagnose or fix when the problem of those overlaps and interferrence is not yours to control and many of your neighbours are using that instead of going for a hard line backhaul between access points.

I'd be weary of using wifi backhaul connections. Make sure you configure yours properly to reduce overlap and interferrence. Because I've experienced it and it's not fun to diagnose or fix when the problem of those overlaps and interferrence is not yours to control and many of your neighbours are using that instead of going for a hard line backhaul between access points.
Thats good to know. We might be having our walls plastered soon, and the skirting of some that's the time to put those cables in right?

I always use wired for my personal use, using wired ethernet 30m run from ground floor to top floor and two 1Gb switches ( 7 port and 4 port) on top floor in room, my wireless is fine for range to top floor but you never get max speed through walls etc with wifi unless you are wired, my cable is CAT7 shielded as well. Pretty easy to hide most of the cable through stairs/ carpets etc.. or run it along skirting board/ door frame with cable clips if you are lazy and don't care how it looks.

I have used repeaters, powerline adaptors in the past but nothing beats wired ethernet cable for speed and security.

Last edited:
Thinking of going Community Fibre after my VM contact ends next month.
Anyone switched from VM? I have an Open sense box connected to VM supper hub5 now. Do I need to have anything else or I can just plug the CF provided router after changing to modem mode like the VM supper hub?

Thinking of going Community Fibre after my VM contact ends next month.
Anyone switched from VM? I have an Open sense box connected to VM supper hub5 now. Do I need to have anything else or I can just plug the CF provided router after changing to modem mode like the VM supper hub?

I went from Vigin to CF in Jan, CF give you both the modem and router (two separate units). I used my TP Link router (dynamic IP setting for CF ) I had for when I was with Virgin (I boxed away their Linksys router). All you have to do in general is set your router to auto or dynamic for IP setting, when my TP Link died few weeks ago I installed a new Asus TUF-AX6000 router , that had to be set to "auto IP" and IPV6 to native from within the router, all worked fine with CF.

There's no modem mode setting, just WAN cable from CF modem to router and settings done within router ie WIFI password, dynamic or auto IP etc, I never needed to reboot my modem or clone the mac address.

Last edited:
Switched to CF 1 gig a week ago and getting excellent speeds and stability, also an incredibly low ping (2ms!) in games. Very impressed.

I'm less impressed with the Linksys router supplied though. The wifi coverage isn't as good as my previous one, so am upgrading that. Wired performance is great tho.

Last edited:
Switched to CF 1 gig a week ago and getting excellent speeds and stability, also an incredibly low ping (2ms!) in games. Very impressed.

I'm less impressed with the Linksys router supplied though. The wifi coverage isn't as good as my previous one, so am upgrading that. Wired performance is great tho.
Get rid of the router and put your own in. Also if you know enough, you can set up a TBB ping monitor on your connection to see how well it fares.

I can barely see the graph anymore as pings are so low (min, avg and max are tight together which is great), so it's definitely an upgrade for gaming!

Get rid of the router and put your own in. Also if you know enough, you can set up a TBB ping monitor on your connection to see how well it fares.

I can barely see the graph anymore as pings are so low (min, avg and max are tight together which is great), so it's definitely an upgrade for gaming!

What router are you using?

Back
Top Bottom