Confused isn't the word!

Associate
OP
You plug the LAN cable from your internet router into the LAN socket on your motherboard.

CPUs are very easy but very scary to install. Check the pin alignment multiple times and pull the lever down from a stable position. You will almost certainly feel like you are having to pull down harder than you would like?

For me making sure allnthe PSU connectors are in and in the right place causes me the most checking and rechecking.

Front of case to motherboard headers needs good light and eyesight usually.

What I have seen on videos then the CPU has an arrow on one corner and it matches up with something of equivalent on the Motherboard so making sure that is correct and align then pulling down on the lever will be okay?

Associate
You sound like the kind of person that is clever but is worried.

The fact you are worried and reading more tells me you have a level head and just lack confidence.

As others have suggested I really suggest trying your own build, if you get stuck, post on here/ read google, check various youtube videos, if your not sure, stop, read some more until you are sure.

As long as you use the advice of people on here what you buy wont be wrong, you just might be missing some of the knowledge to do it!

Go on push yourself! :)

Associate
OP
You sound like the kind of person that is clever but is worried.

The fact you are worried and reading more tells me you have a level head and just lack confidence.

As others have suggested I really suggest trying your own build, if you get stuck, post on here/ read google, check various youtube videos, if your not sure, stop, read some more until you are sure.

As long as you use the advice of people on here what you buy wont be wrong, you just might be missing some of the knowledge to do it!

Go on push yourself! :)

Thank you, I am defiantly leaning more towards building myself.

I was looking at the GTX 980i for a build but when it comes to the CPU I don't really know what I'm choosing and what is all compatible.

I know early on in the post NonameNonumber left a post with the components but then someone else comes along and changes a thing here or there and it just confuses me even more but I know after reading reviews and looking at benchmarking the 980Ti 6gb is something I would like to go for and 16GB at 2400MHz is also something I feel I would need but everything else is a bit of a blur. :confused::o

Associate
Is it possible to dump that down to my level? :confused:

skylake is intel's new platform, with chips like the i7 6600K - he's saying that this chip will net you more performance gains with gaming. The real world results show positives and negatives between the two.

The facts are that the 5820k cpu (on x99) has more cores (6 instead of 4) so will be better at multi-core applications, but the individual single core performance of the skylake 6600k chip is better.

The majority of this forum and general consensus on the net is that the 5820k is a really strong choice, and as it's 50-80quid cheaper than the 6600k at the moment it's an easy one to make.

Associate
All I can suggest sir, if be more precise in what you ask, everyone here wants to help so just ask, its very easy to get derails in threads as people suggest different things.

Which bit didn't you get?

980 Ti good choice, they are very lovely.

There are several generations of intel processor at the moment, NoNameNoNumber has given some good advice above and explains it better than I can, I suggest you re read his posts (Mentioning x99 chipsets etc)

Still not sure, ask more questions!

Soldato
Hey Parkinson, keep asking questions :D

Compatibility wise you just need to pick a platform...

Option A)
Z170-Skylake- i7 6600k

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail £389.99
1 x Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard £113.99
Total : £513.58 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

Option B)
X99-Haswell-E- i7 5820k

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel i7-5820K 3.30GHz (Haswell-E) Socket LGA2011-V3 Processor - Retail (BX80648I75820K) £311.99
1 x Gigabyte X99-SLI Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard £179.99
Total : £501.58 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

The short sighted option is to go for option A, it performs faster in single threaded applications over the 5820k so will be marginally better in some games and has a few other tricks up it's sleeve making it a very capable chipset but will not have the lifespan of option B. There's already been plenty of discussion on the X99 vs Z170 debate. Have a google ;)

Both platforms will support anything you will need them to, it's simple from here on in! Pick some RAM, 16Gb DDR4 2400MHz yeah? Here's a few options

YOUR BASKET
1 x Avexir Core White Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (AVD4UZ124001608G-2CIW) - White Light £79.99
1 x Adata XPG Z1 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit (AX4U2400W4G16-QRZ) £79.99
1 x TeamGroup Elite 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit - Black (TPKD416GM2400HC16QC01) £79.99
Total : £249.58 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

Power supply wise, something around the 800-1000w mark will give you plenty of solid juice and room to overclock or add another card at a later date

YOUR BASKET
1 x SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1000W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply - White £165.95
1 x EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply £139.99
Total : £315.54 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

Storage? 500Gb should be plenty, all of these SSD's read adn write speeds are >500MB/s... I like the Samsungs.

YOUR BASKET
1 x Crucial MX200 500GB 2.5" SSD SATA 6Gbps 7mm Solid State Drive (CT500MX200SSD1) £158.99
1 x Kingston HyperX Savage 480GB SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive (SHSS37A/480G) £146.99
1 x Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/EU) £136.99
1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (WD10EZEX) £41.99
Total : £494.56 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

Cases are very subjective, most are much of a muchness, Corsair buid very nice cases though... Just pick one you like the look of that will fit an ATX motherboard :)

GPU's, it's gotta be a 980Ti... Pick one you like the look of :D
I'd probably go for the HOF.

YOUR BASKET
1 x MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Lightning 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING) £599.99
1 x KFA2 GeForce GTX 980Ti "Hall of Fame 8 Pack Approved Edition" 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £539.99
1 x MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Gaming 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G) £539.99
Total : £1,689.56 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

Have a read, do some research, get some ideas together then we can offer more suitable options...

Associate
OP
Hey back NoNameNoNumber,

first of, I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU!

I love how you have listed everything and it's pretty much what I was looking for and is in a way I can understand and take the information in so again, thank you!

I'll take your advise and just read a little more into the options I have and try make a decision from there. I am pretty set on wanting a 980Ti from what I have read already in the benchmarking it wasn't far behind the Titan X and scored very well in 4K resolution as well.

I'm swaying a little more towards the 6700k but I'll do what you suggest and read up on it more to help me make a decision.

My original budget of £1500 can stretch to £2000.

Again and probably not the last time, THANK YOU. I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask in the future! (1 Hour probably)

(EDIT)

I did say an hour but thought 5 minutes was long enough. The question I have is... what is the difference between having 2x8GB RAM over having 4x4GB RAM? Is it personnel preference or does it make a difference when it comes to performance?

Last edited:
Soldato
No problem, thats what the forums are here for!
I'm not particularly well clued up on the new stuff so you will have to do some research and come to you're own conclusion...
I decided to go for x79 (the old x99) and intend to keep it for another 2-3 yrs at least and its already nearly 4 yrs old! If I was in your shoes I would be going x99 though :D

Which ever platform you decide on will be awesome :)

On the RAM, 4x4 Gb looks better, on the Z170 if you had 4x4 you would have no more room for more so maybe 2x8 would be bla better shout but on the x99 you have 8 slots and 4x4 will look more balanced :)

Its amazing how much of this just comes down to aesthetics!

Soldato
you can get windows 10 for £20 so dont buy full price as that will be something around £90. You can get install media from windows themselves and install with a USB or disk. Whatever you prefer. £20 is just for the key.

Other than that looks very good and very well balanced on both the z170 and x99 builds. Id say get X99 but its up to you. You can overclock X99 pretty easily and you still have the benefit of the extra 2 cores. 980Ti is a must though ;).

Quad channel RAM does have some benefit on speed but its not massive especially when gaming, you probably wouldnt notice it.

And as others have stated if you have any problems with anything on the build let us know :).

For a case, I recommend getting a full tower case. like an enthoo primo for example but anything you like the look of really. Will give your components plenty of room and plenty of room for cable management aswell.

Last edited:
Soldato
X99 has quad channel ram so 4x4 gives you the full bandwidth.

Doing 4x4 on Skylake is just a waste of slots and can potentially limit overclocking potential.

I notice in the excellent post above that option a is titled 6600k but the part listed is the 6700k.

The 6600k is an i5 with 4 cores and no hyperthreading. It would be an excellent choice for a budget conscious pure gaming rig.

If you want hyperthreading or more cores then x99 is the more obvious choice as long as you overclock to get equal or above the Skylake clockspeeds.

Associate
OP
Hi guy's I'm back after a couple of days reading some more information online and looking up the pro's and con's of both the x99 & the z170.

I reckon I'll probably go for the x99 option but then the only thing that concerns me is the part about overclocking and I'm sure if I done some reading well more reading on overclocking then it probably won't be to hard but at the moment it is just a lot of information that I don't understand.

From what I have read people get 4.5Ghz clock speed on the 5820k and some say that it has more potential?

What CPU cooling do you people suggest on such a build? As NoNameNoNumber has listed everything I would need but I'm just wondering about the cooling. I'd like to try and stay away from water cooling as it would be my first build but if anyone has any suggestions then it would be appreciated.

In a simple list this is what I am thinking of choosing.

- Intel i7-5820K 3.30GHz (Haswell-E)
- Gigabyte X99-SLI Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
- TeamGroup Elite 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit
- SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1000W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply
- Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5"
- KFA2 GeForce GTX 980Ti "Hall of Fame 8 Pack Approved Edition"
- "CASE" I am yet to choose, all I know is I want it to be white & black, full tower to try make it easier for me to assemble and has a few fans on it to help with air flow.
- CPU Cooler... Please help me on that one! :)

Thanks in advance guy's! Hope you're all keeping well.

(EDIT)

Please let me know what you lot think of that kind of build. From what I understand that it allows me to upgrade in the future or had another 980ti etc. I'll let the more knowledgeable enlighten me on what is possible!

Just want to say THANK YOU to everyone for there input and any future input. I'm getting pretty excited and nearly at the stage of ordering everything. When I do and receive everything and get a day or two off work to build it I was thinking of doing a thread showing step by step what stage I'm on and if I'm running into any trouble I'll ask for some help and I'm sure you lot will happily let me know anyway.

Thanks one more time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't really comment on the best air cooling solution... I've been watercooled for a number of years now...

A lot of people use and like the Corsair Hydro series... Kind of on par with the high end air coolers and is just as easy to fit.

Everything you have listed looks good. Check out the Corsair Carbide 540, lovely case to work with and has fantastic air flow.
You have enough headroom on the PSU to go SLI 980Ti too should you wish :eek:

Associate
OP
I can't really comment on the best air cooling solution... I've been watercooled for a number of years now...

A lot of people use and like the Corsair Hydro series... Kind of on par with the high end air coolers and is just as easy to fit.

Everything you have listed looks good. Check out the Corsair Carbide 540, lovely case to work with and has fantastic air flow.
You have enough headroom on the PSU to go SLI 980Ti too should you wish :eek:

The Carbide 540 was exactly what I was looking at haha. Just done some looking on cooling as well and the case can take a 280mm radiator on the top and checked out the hydro series and realised that it's featured in a lot of build videos so checked it out and might go for the Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX High Performance 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
AIO coolers tend to come with cheapy fans, i have a Triton and the fans on that sounded like a couple of flymos. Replaced them with 2 corsair sp120`s cos i wanted led fans anyway, and can recommend them.

Also worth controlling them off the mobo and setting up the fan profiles in bios so they just tickover until the cpu wakes up.

Associate
OP
AIO coolers tend to come with cheapy fans, i have a Triton and the fans on that sounded like a couple of flymos. Replaced them with 2 corsair sp120`s cos i wanted led fans anyway, and can recommend them.

Also worth controlling them off the mobo and setting up the fan profiles in bios so they just tickover until the cpu wakes up.

Yeah I may go with something like that. Hopefully compliments the case better as well.

Is it hard getting the fan profiles set up on the mobo?

Getting to the stage of what I'm buying then building it myself is one thing but now I need to learn the overclocking on the 5820k and learning to setup such things like the fans seem an obvious thing to do.

I'm a quick learner so I'm sure in a few months I'll be giving the advice rather than asking for it so in that respect I can pay back what other people have helped me with. :D

Associate
Modern bios are very learner friendly, setting up stuff like that is just part of the infinite amount of tinkering and faffing that lies ahead , that`s what makes it fun :D

some people are sensitive to noise, personally i like the pc to be reasonably quiet unless i`m caning it, then i like to hear it make noise....i want to hear the fans spool up. :D

Associate
OP
Modern bios are very learner friendly, setting up stuff like that is just part of the infinite amount of tinkering and faffing that lies ahead , that`s what makes it fun :D

some people are sensitive to noise, personally i like the pc to be reasonably quiet unless i`m caning it, then i like to hear it make noise....i want to hear the fans spool up. :D

Yeah I prefer it when you can hear them kick in. Especially when you know that's what they should be doing.

For me I play with a pair of Astro's on anyway and for me it's not a problem when it comes to noise but I wouldn't appreciate at slap round the back of the head from the Mrs when she's watching the usual stuff on TV :D

Associate
OP
Just want to start with a thank you if you are able to read through the below and let me know what you think. If it looks all good then I'm pretty much ready to go a head with and order everything that was listed above. If you think I have missed something out then I'd really appreciate it if you let me know.

Thanks again!

Alex.

Motherboard - Gigabyte X99 SLI Motherboard
CPU - Intel i7 5820k
CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT 280mm Extreme Performance All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler
GPU - KFA2 GTX 980Ti HOF Edition
PSU - SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1000W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum"
Case - Corsair Carbide 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Arctic White
RAM - TeamGroup Elite 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit
HDD - Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD
SSD - Samsung 2.5-Inch 250 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive
DVDRW - OcUK 24x DVDRW SATA ReWriter (Black)

Back
Top Bottom