• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe is hype

Man of Honour
Fair enough, but some of your posts are a little misleading/misinterpretted, I guess thats where the most folks confusion comes from. It just read like ' I have a conroe and my amd newcastle system is faster' which I guess it is due to not having a conroe capable board nor running your memory in dual channel. Your motherboard is obviously crippling your conroe cpu if the amd newcastle is getting anywhere close to the performance of the conroe.

In hindsight it may have been wise to voice your opinions once you have your conroe rig setup correctly and can then take a side by side comparison, or at the very least be very clear that your conroe system isn't running as it should and as such cannot compare the two/three rigs.

Just my 2p's worth ;)

GL with getting the conroe rig running as it should...it will be money well spent.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, thats just it.

I had tried to make it clear, but got side-tracked by my endless waffling on!

In fact, the NewCastle setup is closer to the P4 3.6 prescott not the conroe... That is indeed quicker.

The reason I based the newcastle against it, is purely because I setup the P4 next to it, hoping the P4 would be replacing it. The conroe came later.

As its stands, I am sellign the P4 setup off, just to pay for a decent Mobo for the conroe. I got a mate who is interested, I told him that I am interested in the Gigabyte ( I asked about this previously you see but ended up sorting the AMD setups instead ) and he has said that he wioll buy me the Mobo if I give him my Mobo & P4, which I am happy to do even if the P4 cost me £300 for the CPU alone.

In honest terms then, lets say I get the Gigabyte Mobo, use the Conroe ( its a 6200 ) how would that compare in real terms, against my x2 4400 which is currently clocked at 2.7

As thigns are right now, the Newcastle clocked to 2.4 is almost exactly on par with the P4 Prescot @ 3.6 in CPU speed, but as I said, its seriously poor at multitasking anything - even multiple copies of notepad kill it off

Caporegime
FatRakoon said:
Well, thats just it.

I had tried to make it clear, but got side-tracked by my endless waffling on!

In fact, the NewCastle setup is closer to the P4 3.6 prescott not the conroe... That is indeed quicker.

As its stands, I am sellign the P4 setup off, just to pay for a decent Mobo for the conroe. I got a mate who is interested, I told him that I am interested in the Gigabyte ( I asked about this previously you see but ended up sorting the AMD setups instead ) and he has said that he wioll buy me the Mobo if I give him my Mobo & P4, which I am happy to do even if the P4 cost me £300 for the CPU alone.

In honest terms then, lets say I get the Gigabyte Mobo, use the Conroe ( its a 6200 ) how would that compare in real terms, against my x2 4400 which is currently clocked at 2.7

As thigns are right now, the Newcastle clocked to 2.4 is almost exactly on par with the P4 Prescot @ 3.6 in CPU speed, but as I said, its seriously poor at multitasking anything - even multiple copies of notepad kill it off

The DS3 is 100 quid.And you can only get 6300's not 6200's as you say.

If your pc is struggling with muliple notepads open then I suggest you learn how to build a PC correctly!

ROTFL :D

Soldato
Maybe I am making a mistake here...

Its is indeed a 6300.

Sometimes its hard to keep track of silly numbers when you own over a dozen PCs. :rolleyes:

I know the Intel P4 has a 6200LE Graphics card in it, so perhaps I keep entering that??

The conroe has the x700LE in it... Or have I used the 6600GT? No, thats AGP, so its probably in the Neo2? No, hang on, where is the 9800Pro from that? Which one? I got 4 of those... Maybe the X1600 is in there then? No, thats PCI... Seriously I dont have clue half the time. :D

Oh, and for what its worth, The Intels are not as such "My PCs"... Thats why they are mostly being used for chairs until I can get new Mobos for them... The P4 was bought as-is really, I found it to be slow as hell, so being my first PIC Mobo, I got an x800GTO ( Now in the x2 4400 ) and I still failed top get any decent speed out of it, so I gave up. The conroe came along as a bare CPU and I just knocked up a quick PC as cheap as I could because I already have plenty of fairly good PCs ( all AMD ) and I just wanted to play about, but yes, I am paying the price, but then the AMDs all do more than I need them to do, so I am not rushing out to spend even more on a system that I dont really need.

Maybe I will have a nice shock once its sorted, maybe I wont, but I really dont care.

I do nothing that makes having the latest and great " A MUST " so why rush?

While people keep saying that their CPUs do this or that, I honestly dont care. I burn 4 DVDs at a time, convert a handfull of AVI or WMV files to DVD, constantly download torrents 24/7 and play any game I want with absolutely no slowdowns at all with any one of my PCs, and yet some of these people say it cannot be done! - I did this on a my old Barton too, still can except its only one of my LAN PCs so has not got all the Writers in, and many still say it cannot be done?

Going by that alone, I recon I know all too well how to build up a PC thank you very much.

Please dont **** me off either. I get confused easily. A few years ago, I had a motorcycle accident and lost a lot of my memories and I have had to re-learn everythign I know from scratch, and sometimes I dont even know what year it is never mind having to remember lots of silly numbers that most of the time dont mean jack schitt to me.

Last edited:
Associate
Great thread guys, some good and some crap points made :)

Just a little note, those who say "AMD got pwnt this round" erm no... Intels latest gen chips, vs AMD's older gen chips. Once K8L emerges THEN we can compare chips like for like.

Man of Honour
Soldato
OC_A64 said:
Just a little note, those who say "AMD got pwnt this round" erm no... Intels latest gen chips, vs AMD's older gen chips. Once K8L emerges THEN we can compare chips like for like.
Sorta. AMD had two generations of chips while Intel goofed around with Netburst, the Athlon XPs and the Zthlon 64s. Prescott does not count as its own generation, IMO. AMD is already a generation ahead.

Man of Honour
OC_A64 said:
Great thread guys, some good and some crap points made :)

AMD have sat on there laurels with the A64 and released AM2 in the hope ddr2 would keep intel at bay...this plainly has not worked. Intels latest gen chip(C2D) beats AMD's latest chip(AM2) hands down. K8L, becuase if AM2, will therefore be a generation ahead of core2duo.

Caporegime
w3bbo said:
AMD have sat on there laurels with the A64 and released AM2 in the hope ddr2 would keep intel at bay...this plainly has not worked. Intels latest gen chip(C2D) beats AMD's latest chip(AM2) hands down. K8L, becuase if AM2, will therefore be a generation ahead of core2duo.

The only reason AMD released AM2 was because Intel had DDR2 and AMD didn't want to be seen as technologically inferior by sticking with DDR. Pure marketing, performance was never the goal.

Caporegime
wnm0 said:
Well all I know is I would not buy AMD my personal preferance I like Intel always have..

Good for you, it means you were struggling along with a P4 fror ages while the rest of us were enjoying A64's which at the time were obscenely fast. :p

Soldato
heh i never comprehend fanboys, i know someone who for years laughed at AMD whilst sticking with his netcrap arch because he never trusted anything but intel chipsets...then finally updates to s939 a few months before the ES conroe chips started surfacing. :D

fatrakoon - for someone with over a dozen rigs you seem to have serious problems somewhere along the line .....i also don't believe you can truly multitask on a barton core or any single core for that matter ...p4 with HT were much cleaner in windows but not AMD.

Caporegime
marscay said:
i also don't believe you can truly multitask on a barton core or any single core for that matter ...p4 with HT were much cleaner in windows but not AMD.

Damn right. For someone with 12 PC's FatRacoon seems a tad... lost? :)

Soldato
marscay said:
fatrakoon - for someone with over a dozen rigs you seem to have serious problems somewhere along the line

Yes, the AMDs are running well, only the Intels are not... but we know why.

I tell you what... See if anyone else has the very same issues yeah?

The P4 prescot 6600 is a 3.6Ghz HT job.

The Basic PC is a Fujitsu Seimens.

Originally it came with 2 x 200GB WD Drives, and 2GB RAM

The original box etc has gone, and so I will need to dig out the exact model, but if anyone else has a system of this spec, and has the opportunity to compare it with an AMD, or any half decesnt Intel of course, then by all means, they should back me up... Unless I am just unlucky with Intel.

marscay said:
i also don't believe you can truly multitask on a barton core or any single core for that matter ...p4 with HT were much cleaner in windows but not AMD.

Hey, dont get wrong here... The lesser stuff does indeed slow down. As it would on any CPU if you throw enough at it...

The Video conversions say they will be done in one hour for example, and burning 4 DVDs at a time does not affect this one jot. It will be finished in roughly that one hour... If I played a game, perhaps HL2 / Quake 4 or whatever, if I play it for perhaps half an hour, then when I go and check up on the Video conversions, they dont say they will be ready in the expected 30 minutes, but rather their time has gone up to perhaps 45 minutes, so the background apps do slow down, but not as much as many seem to think.

Nero burning a DVD takes up ZERO CPU time.

You must remember that if I was using just one HD, then sure, the whole system would trundle to a halt, and the DVDs will almost always fail... Even burning one DVD and trying to play a game can cause it to fail, especially if the DVD is on the same line as the HD, but I use multiple DVDs and Multiple HDs... I never burn on the same line as I am defragging or copying to/from or even running an app from.

Try it yourself.

Use perhaps 4 HDs ( Partitions dont work here, use 4 HDs, or even 2 perhaps ) and burn as many disks as you want, from one drive and then defrag another drive, and then copy a large file from the third drive to the fourth... You will find that each operation will run at its normal speed. If the copy operation takes exactly one minute on its own, then it will still take one minute if you have multiple drives.

Oh, its also quite important to have each drive on its won line too!
I use a PCI card as well as the ones on the Mobo cos the Mobo ones on their own dont manage it.

Associate
w3bbo said:

Yea, course they did. AMD thought Intel would NEVER pull out a chip quicker than the P4.
AM2 is AMD's "latest" chip but the arcitecture is 2 years old... You really can't say AMD is getting beaten "this round" since their tech is 2 years old, whereas intels is 2006...
But yea, believe whatever you want...

Caporegime
FatRakoon said:
Damn right.

But then so would anyone else!

Every day, I am moving this to that, and that to the other.

Purely cos I got sod all else to do!

lol why don't you just choose a few good rigs based on different platforms and concentrate on those instead? Would be far more productive and you'd learn them a lot quicker. :)

Back
Top Bottom