• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe is hype

Soldato
Thats so true!

However, I will give a plus-point to IWILL and that is, that every time I email support, I got an answer, and I have done it a few times too!

DFI and HCS are fowl, as I have a Mobo and a 9800Pro thats still waiting to be replaced.

IWILL might be another story if it involved replacing anything, but they have never let me down yet.

Soldato
mortals said:
Doesn't that use a VIA chipset?

Seems a bit like a budget mATX board.

A bit budget?

A bit?

Just a tad like...

But... as I said... It seems a good CPU let down by a bad Mobo.

Then again, I also got a P5GD1 for the P4 ( Came with it actually ) and thats an erm, Intel 915 Chipset, and thats just as bad, in fact its worse.

I am not 100% sure if they are interchangeable ( Both 775 ) whether a bios update would help out, I just dont know?

The reason I went for cheap and nasty was simply that I was originally going to splash out a few bob on a decent Mobo for the P4 ( didnt have the connie at the time ) but instead, realising that I needed DDR2 and didnt have any, I thought why not go PCIE on the X2 4400 instead, and wait, but then the conroe came along and well, I had to get it up and running ASAP you see... After just spending £200 sorting out my AMDs and then another £500 doing up my Atari kit, Im left with just fluff in my pocket and a nagging missus so I just went for a cheapie.

Thats why.

Soldato
lawrence said:
I tend to ignore everything [h] say tbh... :rolleyes:
I agree :)

wern't they the ones who benchmarked the Conroe on high resolutions trying to compare it to others ??

Think maybe they didn't notice the GPU is a bottleneck :rolleyes: :(

Soldato
Duke said:
Got to love some of the AMD fanboy views. Just buy whichever suits your budget (conroe) and/or gives the best performance (conroe) and/or quietest (conroe).

Hmm :)

I went from P4 2.4c (remember how great OCing they were - had mine at 3.3!) to a P4 3.2 @ 3.8.. then Venice 3000... Opteron 146... now onto Conroe E6600. I have only bought CPUs which I know will overclock with ease. I don't care if it's AMD or Intel.
I agree with that.

I've just ordered a core2duo system to replace my old AGP p4 system. I think the AMD fanboys are going a bit OTT with the "conroe is all hype".

Permabanned
Had a P4 1.3 williamette with 256 Rambus. result ran like poop
Moved to an Xp1700+ with 256 DDR 266. result was cracking for the time and money it cost ( part of a complete base unit I bought it second user for £180 some 5-6 yrs ago )
Then stepped upto an XP2400+ with 512 DDR 266. still a happy bunny

Since then had an applebred duron ( for fun ) an XP3200+ Barton, 2800+ Barton now running a 2700+ T'Bred. not a issue at anytime.

^ AMD Fanboy ? nah not on your nelly. do I want a Conroe ? Yes. can I afford one right now ? No. Will I buy one in future ? Yes. If AMD then pull something out of the bag which knocks conroe into a cocked hat would I be tempted ? Yes

AMD made a lot of right moves and shook Intel up ( which it sorely needed ) and Fanboyism aside I'd say Intel have pulled an "AMD" by offering a cpu which generates a significantly noticible increase in power over the competetion. It's all swings and roundabouts. early adopters will always crow about what they have, why not let em they paid premium prices, just wait 6-12 months for more boards, more features and lower prices then join em.

This is OCUK populated by people who enjoy using a PC in many different ways, it's the individuals passion and freedom of choice which makes this communty thrive, I'm envious of those here with X1900 / 7900 / Conroe / X2's etc good luck to anyone willing to punt their hard earned on a new toy and thanks for accruing knowledge which then filters down to me ( Joe Public ) without me wasting a penny.

I know squat diddley doo about volt modding,laser cut die's, fab plants, roadmaps but I know conroe is the pimp player cpu at the moment solid fact.

Interesting use of HDD's mentioned above and seem's logical might snap a few up and have a bash at that. cheers

woot for prolly my longest ever post on OCUK ( I need a rest now, seeya in 6 months )

Soldato
So, you recon I should use the P5GD1 on the Conroe then?

Ok, drivers eh?

Give me links to the exact drivers to use, cos the ones I got make no difference at all to anything?

I dont care what OS to use either... MCE came with it, but I have also played with Pro & Home, as well as Win2K and x64, hell I even fannied about with 98se FFS and at this very moment in time, its toying about with Linux cos thats the only OS thats any cop on it.

Beat an AM2 with a tweak?

I dont need it to beat an AM2...

At this time, I am not moaning about the CPU in any way at all, not really, I am however, having a seriously big whine at the overall system performance.

Its just copied 48GB of files from one HD to another in about 20Minutes, so the HD itself is ok... Its only when it tries to do more than one job that it falls over.

Try get it to load up 2 different pps at once without it feeling like its just hung...

Hell right clicking on the My Computer Icon takes about 5-6 seconds for it to bring up the context menu... If any of my AMDs take longer than absolutely instant, then there is something wrong and I reinstall if I cant sort it, but this at best takes 5-6 seconds!?

So, I am all ears, especially if you can sort it out without the need to spend on it.

As I said, the P5GD1 is with the prescott 660and the VD2 is for the Conroe but I am more than happy to use any board with any CPU... I just assumed the P5GD1 wont play with the Conroe?

Caporegime
FatRakoon said:
I know.

I got the P4 in that... The Conroe is in a VD2

I could have sworn he told me to use the GD1 ???

WTF?

unless of course its been editted???

Anyway, its a P5VD2 thats got the Conroe!

no wonder

single channel ram on a rubbish chipset.

please! :eek:

Soldato
easyrider said:
no wonder

single channel ram on a rubbish chipset.

please! :eek:

Agreed.

Annoyingly at the time of choosing a new Mobo I had plenty of DDR but no DDR2, so instead I opted to up my AMD setups.

What really peeves me off now, is that I have a pair of 512MB Kingstons that I didnt know I had ( Mistake purchase and I never got round to returning ) and those are now in my RAM hooks, doing nowt and I still have no DDR2 Mobos!

Hows that for a bugger.

So, in order to get both Intels up to any kind of speed, I really need 2 Mobos now, although what I am considering, is to swap my P4 Prescott 660 and its mobo ( The P5GD1 ) for a good mobo for the conroe, so I can finally get a fair turn of speed from an intel...

Something I have never achieved... EVER!

Caporegime
FatRakoon said:
Agreed.

Annoyingly at the time of choosing a new Mobo I had plenty of DDR but no DDR2, so instead I opted to up my AMD setups.

What really peeves me off now, is that I have a pair of 512MB Kingstons that I didnt know I had ( Mistake purchase and I never got round to returning ) and those are now in my RAM hooks, doing nowt and I still have no DDR2 Mobos!

Hows that for a bugger.

So, in order to get both Intels up to any kind of speed, I really need 2 Mobos now, although what I am considering, is to swap my P4 Prescott 660 and its mobo ( The P5GD1 ) for a good mobo for the conroe, so I can finally get a fair turn of speed from an intel...

Something I have never achieved... EVER!

Look,

Just get a DS3 mobo sell the stuff you have and use and clock that conroe.

Stop putting good after bad.

Get that conroe at 3.4ghz on the DS3 and realise the power of INTELs new chip.

Core Duo 2 needs the high bandwidth of DDR 2 to show its true colours.

Stating conore is slow because of your mismatched system is Futile.

At 3.4ghz - 3.8ghz conroe destroys AMD over and over again.
At 2.6ghz conroe destroys AMD over and over again.

THIS IS NOT HYPE :)

Soldato
Never said otherwise.

I have stated in many posts that from my experience thats with a poor mobo that I can see the potential of the conroe but never been able to use it.

If you read my posts properly you will see that I fully intend on gettign a good Mobo, but I have alread spent over 700 in the last few weeks alone. never mind how much I have spent this month on my PCs ( Which is so far just over £2K FYI ) so for this month, Im out of my spending money and I need to wait for a bit before I can spend anymore )

Man of Honour
FatRakoon said:
Never said otherwise.

I have stated in many posts that from my experience thats with a poor mobo that I can see the potential of the conroe but never been able to use it.

If you read my posts properly you will see that I fully intend on gettign a good Mobo, but I have alread spent over 700 in the last few weeks alone. never mind how much I have spent this month on my PCs ( Which is so far just over £2K FYI ) so for this month, Im out of my spending money and I need to wait for a bit before I can spend anymore )

sucks2-1.jpg

So let me get this right: all in all you are basing your derogatory theories about conroe/intel based on a system that is not setup to use conroe? You are making comparisons to AMD using a , by your own admission, flawed setup. :confused:

egt

egt

Associate
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Some people really are too fanboyish, get a grip folks.

I purchase all of OcUK's hardware and am responsible for displaying it on our website and have all sales report to hand.

Anybody in my view buying an AMD setup now if doing a large upgrade or buying a new system are pretty much dumb and need good guidance from an un-biased source.

Looks guys OcUK don't care if you buy AMD or Intel its still turnover and profit for us but to buy AMD now you'd be a fool unless you just upgrading your current AMD CPU to a slightly faster one.

A CPU does not only effect games you know, it effects every application your computer runs. Also lets not forget the Core 2's run completely silent and are the coolest running CPU on the market.

Also games that are currently out can easily bring a high-end system to its knees if you have the right monitor capable of the right resolution. Its all about minimum frame rates. If your AMD rig is say capable of running game X at 1920x1200 with all details but in certain game areas drops to a choppy 15fps its gonna be pretty unplayable, however with the equivalent Core 2 processor your minimum frame rate could be increased by as much as 10fps. That means you no longer get slow downs in games.

Really if you wanna waste your money on AMD fine, OcUK does not care but look at the facts and don't let the fanboys blind you Intel are destroying AMD at the moment in every aspect, buy Intel. Again OcUK don't care you buy its still a sale but to recommend AMD now would be a crime.

Er, well said. Ker-Ching!!

Associate
lol

The only game that we saw any real-world difference in was Oblivion, and even that was tiny. A little overclocking would clear that difference up.

lol :rolleyes: if you're going to talk about overclocking, the conroe's overclock FAR better than the X2's and then the Conroe is even further in the lead again.. what a stupid thing to say :o

Soldato
w3bbo said:
So let me get this right: all in all you are basing your derogatory theories about conroe/intel based on a system that is not setup to use conroe? You are making comparisons to AMD using a , by your own admission, flawed setup. :confused:

Yes, it is a flawed setup...

I have never said anything derogatory about the conroe. ( recently anyway )

I merely stated, that my setup was crap, so, there is obviously others out there who have slated it because they too might have a similar setup... Its the very same thing with my P4 3.6... Both systems, the CPU is a little bit of a demon, yet everythign you do, is just too lsow to make me want to use it, and so I have, for the moment, stuck with my AMD... As I keep saying, I am going to get a good mobo to see what they are really capable of!

At this moment in time, with the Mobo I am using, I can grab hold of a folder full of pictures, and right click and select EDIT ( Open them all up up MS-Paint ) and they will all load up quicker on a duron 1200 in a bloody Jetway Mobo faster than just 2 of them will open up on both the Intel systems.

That, as far as I can see, is too slow for such systems.

I keep saying, that I recognise the potential of the CPU, I just have not seen it myself yet.

Back
Top Bottom