• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe is hype

Soldato
easyrider said:
And a 6300 costing £120 when easily clocked to 3.4ghz flattens it thats my point. ;)

But then, you need to also buy a good clocking Motherboard, and RAM too!

adding another £150 to £200 to yours

At this moment in time, I have a conroe, and a Prescott. Both are doing fine and a lot better than previously, for a few number of reasons, but I am still leaning on the side of AMD due to having them long enough to tweak here and there and get them running 100% spot on.

In about a week or so, I will be buying a pair of mobos, both will be for the intels and I really need some more RAM too, in fact, I am just hoping the RAM I have to use for now is going to be good enough? - Anyone care to validate this?

The RAM I have spare for the Intel, that will be used in the Gigabyte DS2 Board is:-

KINGSTON KVR400D2N3/512

I have 3 of them, so 1GB in the connie and 512MB in the Prescot.

Maybe another one if all goes well and get them both to 1GB or hopefully the connie to 2GB

At this moment in time, I am playing with the Prescot in the Asus P5GD1 board with 4x512MB OCZ sticks and I am finding it is more than I thought it was, and so far, I am very happy with it.

Still not a replacement for my AMDs however.

Man of Honour
Dolph said:
Performance wasn't the issue at all, that's why the new socket shows no performance gains. It wasn't marketing either, it's more fundamental than that.

With Intel shifting entirely to DDR2, and having a much much bigger market share, most of the memory manufacturers shifted the majority of their production capacity to DDR2. This would lead to an increase in DDR prices as supply dwindles. If AMD had insisted on carrying on with S939 and DDR, they would have suffered heavily due to this, especially as Intel's new chips (the C2D) offer better price/performance anyway, without having a cheaper ram advantage as well.

AMD created AM2 for this reason, to provide support for the commonly available ram, not for performance, and not for marketing purposes, it's simple economics.

Fair comment, but with the high demand for DDR2 at the moment, the prices have sky rocketted(predictable?) so its really nullified AMD's price/performance ratio tbh. I'm not knocking AMD as I loved my AMD setup that I had less than 3 months ago but to state that conroe is all hype is a ridiculous statement.

Soldato
easyrider said:
Has I have pointed out.

There is no such thing as a 6200 nor a Gigabyte DS2 for that matter. ;)

Ok typo error

I corrected myself on the 6200... Possibly a confusion as I have a 6200 Graphics card.

DS2? - Sorry, thats a DS3. As I pointed out, I dont actually have one, but I am going to get one.

Type too quickly and I make mistakes.

Of course, you would rather put me down all the time rather than help clear things up.

Listen, I am not bulling you here, but a few years ago, I had an accident. Since then, my mind has not been what it was.
I am also dyslexic, which means that I have issues with some words. Missing out on a number or even entering the wrong number will happen, it is somethign I cannot help, and I get things wrong.

I have to live with it, so why cant you? :)

Caporegime
FatRakoon said:
Ok typo error

I corrected myself on the 6200... Possibly a confusion as I have a 6200 Graphics card.

DS2? - Sorry, thats a DS3. As I pointed out, I dont actually have one, but I am going to get one.

Type too quickly and I make mistakes.

Of course, you would rather put me down all the time rather than help clear things up.

Listen, I am not bulling you here, but a few years ago, I had an accident. Since then, my mind has not been what it was.
I am also dyslexic, which means that I have issues with some words. Missing out on a number or even entering the wrong number will happen, it is somethign I cannot help, and I get things wrong.

I have to live with it, so why cant you? :)

My apologies if I offended,This was unintentional.I was just merely highlighting the fact, just in case anyone thought, that the 6200 and DS2 where not available.

Soldato
Yeah, noted.

Im also sorry... I was going nuts in my mind, but again, no need to.

To clarify things up

I love my AMDs and always have, and always will.

I got a P4 3.6Ghx Prescot. A 660 I believe. that should be a good clocker, but its in an ASUS P5GD1-FM Board and thats got DDR RAM in it. The Graphics are currently x700LE

I also now got a Conroe 6300 :D thats in an ASUS P5VD2 Mother board thats currently using DDR2, thats currently got an X1600 in it.

I am also seeing that the CPUs are both VERY powerful things, but the whole way you work with the PCS, just moving in and out of apps etc, is a lot slower than it is on my AMDs.

Lets also be fair here too, but my main AMD ( Neo4 & x2 4400 @ 2.5 ) is runnning a pair of Raptors for C: and my No2 AMD ( Neo2 & x2 3800 @ 2.5 ) is running off a Hitachi 80GB and both these have their apps on a different HD to the boot Drive, so they do feel snappy, while in both intels I am running off one HD, so of course, while I am defragging etc, the HD access will always feel slower.

At this time I am concentrating on seeing if I can sort out the P4 to stay in the P5GD1-FM Board, and as I am going along, I am finding that I have seemingly missed out on a number of things, that this time round, I have made sure of, and the PC is running well nice... Annoyingly for an AMD FANBOY like I am, its really giving my AMDs some serious stick right now, and I have still the conroe to sort out, but I have decided to wait till I get the Gigabyte DS3 and do that for once and for all.

The things I seem to have issues with at this time however, is that the Motherboard always wants to knock itself back to 16Bit Disk access instead of 32bit, and the CPU keeps knocking back too! - even though I keep going back into the BIOS and changing it, it still goes back after a restart? - Fau;lty Mobo I think?

The P5VD2 does not do this, but I am still going with the GD1 for now as I dont have enough DDR2 you see.

Anyway, I am running backwards and forwards between the intels and AMDs comparing them, and so on, so number will inevitably get muddled up somewhere along the lines... I think I have made sure everything in this post is numrelicaly ( Thats a joke by the way, I mant to say numer... nemerc... Sums ) correct.

Listen mate... sorry to have sounded harsh too mate... We all have an edge that we often cross, but shuold not take it out on others... Esp peopel we know and respect on these here forums, so sorry too man!

PS: You still have not verified if I can use the kingston on the DS3? :D

Soldato
Simple questions coming up ( RARE FROM ME )

Q1- A Conroe 6300 @ Stock in a Gigabyte DS3 is comparable to what AMD?

Q2- What is the best RAM to use in the DS3?

Q3- I plan on clocking it soon enough, realistaclly speaking, what can I expect from it?

Caporegime
FatRakoon said:

As a rough scale, take an AMD at the same clock as the conroe and add 30% to get the rough AMD equivalent. So a 2ghz Conroe + 30% = 2.6ghz AMD.

The Gskill 6400 HZ is the shizz.... but pricey.

Q3- I plan on clocking it soon enough, realistaclly speaking, what can I expect from it?

Hopefully 3ghz would be achievable, more if you're lucky. :)

Last edited:
Associate
FatRakoon said:

I think its roughly a 4600+?

The GeIL ultra low latency used to be very good value for money. Not sure now ask others.

If you get 800Mhz memory then 2.8Ghz on stock volts - depending on how much you want to add in voltages I think they can go up to around 3.3Ghz.

Associate
FatRakoon said:

In some things it'll probably be around the X2 4200 or X4400 area. In some things it'll beat the FX60, probably. Theres extensive benchmarks here, but you'll have to imagine what the E6300 will do as the only Allendale there is an E6400, which is the same but 266mhz faster. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu/charts.html

To take advantage of high FSB's you'll need decent PC2-6400. Geil Ultra is pretty good.

3ghz + seems common on that board.

Soldato
Ok, so new RAM too eh?

You will have to forgive me here guys, but I have never been an intel fan.

I got Kingston DDR2 Its DDR400 so that aint going to cut the mustard is it?

I mean, just to play at stock for now?

I mean, I dont want to get all exited and then get stuffed cos the RAM aint going to play... Worse is if it kills it.

UKTOPGUN mentions 800MHZ RAM, so I am assuming that Kingston DDR2 is 800mhz?

I mean, with AMDs its bad enough? - My RAM on those is DDR400 and it runs at 200FSB, so DDR2 at 800Mhz??? Can you see what I mean there?

The clocks sound nice.

My main AMD right now is running at 2.5... This for me is a nice mark because it makes thigns simple with having the HTT @ 4x it makes it easier to know that things are fine because I have gone higher... 2.7 seems to be the limit on that CPU.

So, should I even just do a basic clock on the conroe, then I am certainly going to be looking at a fair whack above that.

Cool.

--

I just looked at the RAM in OCUK.

Whats happened?

Last time I looked, DDR2 was like 50p per GIG, its now like DDR - i.e Expensive! :D

Soldato
For me I dont think their will be much gain upgrading to conroe at this current time, I paid about £600 for my FX53 @ 2.8Ghz in September 2004! :eek: yes I know I was silly/crazy/nuts etc but in all fairness this CPU could probally last me at least another year - which equates to £200 a year, although its value is quite diminished be lucky to get £100 I bet lol & considering the recent AMD 4000 chip equivelants are clocking to 3.0Ghz.

I mainly play games at 1280X1024 & to be very honest their isnt any game that doesnt run on maximum settings.

It seems that the gaming industry is lagging behind in terms of pushing the processor power to their max, then again conroe is fairly new anyway - it will be interesting to see how much new games next year take advantage of conroe & the effect this will have on say socket 939/AM2 systems which run 30% slower than their comparative Intel systems.

Next year when the quadcore comes out in force, it will be interesting to see how many of you have upgraded from skt 939 to Conroe C2D to C4D. For me I think I'll wait & just upgrade to Quadcore next year, especially when the DDR2 prices should drop down to more reasonable prices again - £150ish I would expect but I'm not betting on that, but my problem is I have to have the latest new tech etc, its like buying the latest clothes! silly really - common sense buying doesnt come into it for me. :(

As for whether Conroe is all hype? No way 30% increase with really good overclocking it makes AMD totally a waste of money - anyone with common sense woudnt upgrade to AM2 from skt 939 - gaming wise their isnt much point right now upgrading in my opinion unless your running resolutions above 1280X1024.

Last edited:
Soldato
Explicit said:
That's news to me!

It was for me too!

I just saw Kingston 400mhz for a good price and bought it...Assuiming it was indeed DDR

At the time, it was a big mistake, but at least its allowed me now, to get a cheapie Mobo to play with the conroe... Funny really cos my P4 is DDR not DDR2 too, so thats also getting crippled a little too!

I still cant find out if that kingston will be ok in the Gigabyte DS3 ?

Associate
As someone who uses my system as a DAW.... believe me Conros are worth every penny... You want to try running 4-5 reverbs... and a dozen or so compressors along with a couple of delays... chuck in a couple of submix busses and the reason why Conroes are popular with the muso fraternity becomes obvious....

Back
Top Bottom