Considering LG OLED & LG Sound Bar, good choice or any alternatives please?

OcUK Staff
OP
OcUK Staff
OP
You need to sort the room out, wooden flooring means lots of reflections, any sound system won't sound the best. At least put a rug in front of speakers

Yes there is a giant rug in front of fireplace which will also be in front of Sub etc and it’s very thick too so maybe will help.

Soldato
If you can wire speakers in, certainly offers up superior sound quality, better value for money, more power, allows you to have a avr not propetary wireless speakers, allows multi channel etc.

You can get some flat cable, or you could buy dedicated wall mountable speakers such as bipoles which are flatter than regular speakers.

Soldato
Look forward to that as that was my original intention along with wireless rear speakers as I think the bar and rear speaker combo is around £600
I suspect you like the majority of people will be happy enough with the sound bar, sub and rear speakers combo. The sound will be a Massive improvement on any tv and while it won’t be as good as a separates system it will look a lot nicer in a living room which isn’t focussed round a TV.

I’ve not seen a separates surround sound system that I would say was discrete I. A living room setting, they always seem to be in rooms orientated entirely around a TV!

Soldato
A avr and bookshelf system isn't exactly a eye sore.

Other reasons for pro for standard av gear is they're standardised. Amp blows up? Just replace that amp. Want a better sub? Replace it. Want bigger speakers for mains? No problem. Move those smaller speakers to heights or use in another system.

Hdmi spec changes so need 4k @ 120hz and vrr hdmi pass throug no problem change avr.

I have used a q acoustics qtv2 and for £150 it's brilliant. Very good sound for the price. But aware of its flaws, it's a single unit. If one driver blows, then it's useless.

I've r blown treble driver on my speakers would be absurd if I chucked away all the speakers the subwoofer and the amp because of that, but that is what a soundbar is. Also changed speakers and amps progressive upgrades and updates.

Caporegime
I suspect you like the majority of people will be happy enough with the sound bar, sub and rear speakers combo. The sound will be a Massive improvement on any tv and while it won’t be as good as a separates system it will look a lot nicer in a living room which isn’t focussed round a TV.

I’ve not seen a separates surround sound system that I would say was discrete I. A living room setting, they always seem to be in rooms orientated entirely around a TV!

The people saying sound bars are terrible have never heard a decent sound bar.

I've owned about 6 now and yes the cheap ones are terrible. Top end ones a completely different story.

I still don't know why this debate is still going he doesn't want wired rear speakers.

Buy the Samsung soundbar I linked two seperate reviews to saying it is the best.

Over say 10 years it costs pennies.

Soldato
Well I'm very happy with my c9 and sound bar, way better than my last sound bar which was a Sony £200 job. I really should have got the 65" though.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Has anyone here got the LG SN11RG, being reading end users feedback and owners seem to rate it far better than JBL 9.1 and even better than Samsung 90Q based from feedback from owners who had them all on AV forums, just wondering if anyone here had one? Also noticed Curry's from time to time do 35% when purchased with a TV.

Think its a soundbar is direction I want to go and as getting an LG C9 or CX seems obvious choice and I will just buy a new larger TV stand to accommodate all 56" of the LG bar.

Soldato
Hadn't seen that one, I'd be really interested to hear you feedback if you demo this (which I think it vital) against separates. Price tag is a bit spicy on the LG SN11RG!

OcUK Staff
OP
Hadn't seen that one, I'd be really interested to hear you feedback if you demo this (which I think it vital) against separates. Price tag is a bit spicy on the LG SN11RG!

Yes but seems to be the best one and with the discount it works out about £950 so same price as the JBL more or less and all reviews and owners of both state the LG is in another league with only the Samsung coming close.

Shall be pairing it up with a C9/CX OLED and a NVIDIA Shield Pro so like LG for that reasons only downside of LG is I need a new TV cabinet/desk so thats another £200-£400 of expense. Plan is to just do it right and do it once, had my current Samsung TV for what must be 7 years plus now so I don't change TV's often and speakers less so as current audio setup is a NAD AMP and liberty floor standing speakers which shall all be retired to the guest room.

Soldato
CX will have freesync so if you are between AMD and NVIDIA, its something to consider.
C9 has full fat HDMI 2.1 ports although if NVIDIA support 10bit colour over HDMI, it wont affect us at all.

Sound wise, I'm not a fan of the soundbars. Much rather get an AVR + passive speakers as they are in a different class and stratsophere of fidelity. They are also upgradable, hold their value forever, never become irrelavant, allow easy intergration of other speakers and subwoofers etc.

Soldato
The people saying sound bars are terrible have never heard a decent sound bar.

I've owned about 6 now and yes the cheap ones are terrible. Top end ones a completely different story.

I still don't know why this debate is still going he doesn't want wired rear speakers.

Buy the Samsung soundbar I linked two seperate reviews to saying it is the best.

Over say 10 years it costs pennies.

I've heard some of the best soundbars but they don't hold a candle to my old KEF Q speakers which are hardly top of the line in the audio world.

However I think soundbars are hugely relavant if wiring, space and/or cost is an issue. But if someone can deal with those issues, then obviously passive provides a much much better experience.

Caporegime
I've heard some of the best soundbars but they don't hold a candle to my old KEF Q speakers which are hardly top of the line in the audio world.

However I think soundbars are hugely relavant if wiring, space and/or cost is an issue. But if someone can deal with those issues, then obviously passive provides a much much better experience.

how so? when top end ones have rear surround speakers so positional sound is perfect?

i own both and my 5.1 system isn't exactly bottom of the range either. i have proper monitor audio floor standers for my fronts. a bk xxls 400 for my sub and a top of the line yamaha when it was brand new when i bought it on launch.

i think there is little in it these days. but i am discussing £1500 soundbars here not £200-£400 ones or even £500 ones or ones from sonos either as they are extremely overpriced.

my dad owns the £1500 samsung soundbar and it doesn't sound as good as my 5.1 but that's because his living room is 4 times the size of mine. however my mate bought the same one and in a smaller room it competes with my system. i'd say mine is better because of the AVR aspect producing a cleaner sound however there isn't a huge amount in it.

OcUK Staff
OP
CX will have freesync so if you are between AMD and NVIDIA, its something to consider.
C9 has full fat HDMI 2.1 ports although if NVIDIA support 10bit colour over HDMI, it wont affect us at all.

Sound wise, I'm not a fan of the soundbars. Much rather get an AVR + passive speakers as they are in a different class and stratsophere of fidelity. They are also upgradable, hold their value forever, never become irrelavant, allow easy intergration of other speakers and subwoofers etc.

Don't need freesync as home PC has a 2080Ti in it. :)
If I can find a C9 good deal I will get one as far as I can see the CX will give me zero benefits.

Soldato
Don't need freesync as home PC has a 2080Ti in it. :)
If I can find a C9 good deal I will get one as far as I can see the CX will give me zero benefits.

CX picture is slightly better, deals with dirties sources better, will have an extra year of LG software updates, has many AI picture options which you probably won't use, its motion is better (even without BFI) and its picture is slightly better again.

The C9 has full 48gbps ports, more apps in the UK. It has been reported slightly brighter but IMO its panel variation. Its also better value.

HOWEVER... just as a bit of friendly advice from a home cinema and PC enthusiast...

In real world terms, I think the you will not miss anything from the CX but it is a marginally better TV PQ quality wise. I'd go for C9. Well, actually I'd go for whichever TV is sold by John Lewis if you're using it for the PC and get the protect plus warranty/insurance. Features like DTS, 48gbps, AI picture options, motion, upscaling quality are meh IMO but Burn-in is and always will be the enemy for users like us who PC game. I take it you are the same as me.. in that you will connect this baby to your PC.. and maybe sometimes you will forget its an OLED and browse the web on it... etc. etc.

John Lewis offer a protect plus warranty which will offer for £150 replacement of TV/panel for burn in for 5 years. That means you can actually use your screen for anything and not have to worry or do any workarounds. I find that peace of mind absolutely invaluable. Its even better than Best buys geek squad warranty.

Soldato
how so? when top end ones have rear surround speakers so positional sound is perfect?

i own both and my 5.1 system isn't exactly bottom of the range either. i have proper monitor audio floor standers for my fronts. a bk xxls 400 for my sub and a top of the line yamaha when it was brand new when i bought it on launch.

i think there is little in it these days. but i am discussing £1500 soundbars here not £200-£400 ones or even £500 ones or ones from sonos either as they are extremely overpriced.

my dad owns the £1500 samsung soundbar and it doesn't sound as good as my 5.1 but that's because his living room is 4 times the size of mine. however my mate bought the same one and in a smaller room it competes with my system. i'd say mine is better because of the AVR aspect producing a cleaner sound however there isn't a huge amount in it.

It's not about having rear surrounds. You can have rear surrounds but it doesn't mean all rear surrounds are born equal. The power, the drivers, the bass it can produce, the soundstage, the detail retrieval are all different. The rear surrounds that come with soundbars are trash. The rear surrounds people use in home theatre could be used as their L+R most of the time. My old system I used KEF Q100s for example.

The simple fact is that a wireless speaker will struggle to sound as good as a passive speaker for obvious reasons. the wireless speaker has to compromise on sound quality to be small, portable, wireless etc.

Maybe something is wrong with your setup.. maybe tweak your positioning if a £1500 soundbar is competing or beating your audio setup. A dedicated good 5.1 system will comfortably IMO destroy a soundbar (yes even with wireless rear speakers.. yes even with a wireless subwoofer.. ).

To say there is little in it is... well I think grossly inaccurate. Maybe if your hearing is poor, or you just don't care about audio quality. If all you care about is do I have a bubble of sound around me.. then fine.. put loads of crap speakers around you and bouncing in different directions and with DSP.. u can kind of create that.

If you want crisp dynamic audio with clarity, a huge soundstage, directional audio,... then I think a soundbar will always be comfortably beaten (for obvious reasons.. it has to compromise on all these things for form factor, portability, price, hvaing to power itself).

I understand my current audio setup would be a very unfair comparison.. but even my KEF Q setup was insanely better IMO.

there is only so far you can play with DSP... the law of physics is hard to beat. The size of a soundbar and its rear speakers restricts what it can produce to a fully passive speakers whos only job is to produce sound when it is powered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom