Copper pipe build

Associate
Hi all just a quick question, I'm finding it very difficult to mix and match copper sizes most standard copper pipe is 15mm or 22mm which is way to big. So im looking at 1/2" OD soft copper coiled pipe and using 12mm fittings.

Am I right in thinking that the 12.7mm OD pipe will work with the 12mm fittings? Has anyone used any fittings and can confirm this is okay ?

Kind regards

Associate
copper is not common so I doubt you'll get much of an answer :(

12.7mm OD is small enough difference that some sandpaper around the end before pushing into the fitting should be all that's required. but hey, try it and show us!
I can't answer the question but I'm definitely intrigued by a copper build! Does it come with a full steampunk aesthetic too?

Associate
OP
It will be a steam punk build, the cpu and gpu will be copper and the black screws/rivets on the case itself will be replaced with copper ones.

I've got the case already i'll be doing 75% of the watercooling loop first, the radiators, pump and piping and then add the components and do the remaining piping

Ill be starting it all on the 26th so I'll start posting some pictures.

Cheers

Soldato
Last time i used copper pipe for a pc build it was an eheim pond pump, car radiator and hose pipe with jubilee clips.
Good luck.

Soldato
Hi all just a quick question, I'm finding it very difficult to mix and match copper sizes most standard copper pipe is 15mm or 22mm which is way to big. So im looking at 1/2" OD soft copper coiled pipe and using 12mm fittings.

Am I right in thinking that the 12.7mm OD pipe will work with the 12mm fittings? Has anyone used any fittings and can confirm this is okay ?

Kind regards
You'd be surprised how much of a difference 0.7mm can make. If the o rings in the 12mm compression fitting are soft enough to allow almost 1mm of flex, I doubt they'd stay form-fitting enough to create a seal. There's been plenty of posts over the years of people trying to use Monsoon 1/2 inch acrylic with 12mm EK or Bitspower fittings to no success.

Have you not tried fleabay for the copper pipe? I've had tentative plans for 2 builds using 12mm OD copper pipe and there's loads.

20m coil
1m straight lengths
Chrome-plated if you're not actually bending

That's just the top couple of results for "12mm copper tube". I am, of course, assuming you're UK based. If you are, and you don't trust eBay...

BES
Plumbers' Mate
Stevenson Plumbing
Bearing Boys

Of course, if you're planning on actually bending you need to check if the straight tube is hard or half-hard, ye can't bend the former. As an aside, you wouldn't believe the trouble you can get into searching Google for "half-hard bender" at work, so don't ;)

Associate
OP
Hahaha I bet the half hard bender search raised a few eyebrows

I've actually used BES to source the copper pipe and I've already had a go at bending it with great success, its a soft copper so really easy to shape. I've also got a straightening tool which is just a load of rollers to straighten it out.

The copper polish I'm using does treat it aswell to eliminate tarnish.

Ill keep searching for the fittings though I don't want to risk a leak.

Cheers

Soldato
If you already have the 1/2 inch tube then don't take the risk and just get 1/2 fittings. O-rings by design won't change shape all that much, they'll be super snug to get a good seal around the diameter they're intended for.

Or cut your losses and replace the copper with 12mm OD.

Associate
I'm also considering something similar. If you Google "16mm copper pipe" it seems it easy enough to get and should be an exact match for 16mm compression fittings?

As for tarnishing. Do any brazing first, then polish and use gloves when handling. It's the oils in your skin that react (That's what metal "smell" is. Metal is odourless and the smell is skin oil reacting with it).

Soldato
Associate
OP
Quick update I've started bending the copper pipe, polishing then laquering, not gonna lie it's infuriating doing the bends I've gone through about 6m of copper pipe to start producing bends I'm happy with.

I've also found 1/2" od pipe works with 13mm fittings but if you want to have a really snug fit replace the o-rings with 1/2" ones instead of the 13mm ones. Extremely tight grip once tightened.

Next to select the fans and start installing the components

Back
Top Bottom