• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
This Vid means nothing. The guy being interviewed does not have enough knowledge to answer the questions with enough depth. The wrong guy is sat there thus making the video useless as far as i am concerned.

That dude and his company dont give a monkeys anyhow, they get the sweet $$ from Intel to carry on promoting them, they have a history of it.. its not like they are not going to get Intel work later down the line....

All its done is negate any testing they do going forward for the majority of people that actually care, and all it has done is make Intel look amateur hour with regards to benchmarks etc, going forward people are going to ignore Intels official stuff and wait for actual reviews, as it should be. Although you are always going to get the day 1 buyers of any vendor, that will never change.

Associate
Looks like the new CPUs *do* have a hardware fix:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-9-series-cpu-spectre/

"...the new K-series of gaming CPUs that are receiving the fix. Those chips come with changes at the hardware level and should be far more secure against the kind of attacks that Spectre and its ilk have brought to light in recent years. Although they are still based on the same 14nm node that has dominated Intel’s chip designs since 2014, these would be the first ones to come with a fix for these sorts of bugs at the hardware level.

News of the fixes were shared at Intel’s recent desktop press event, where it stated that, “the new desktop processors include protections for the security vulnerabilities commonly referred to as ‘Spectre,’ ‘Meltdown,’ and ‘L1TF.’ These protections include a combination of the hardware design changes we announced earlier this year as well as software and microcode updates.”

The hardware alterations made to the chips protect against Meltdown V3, otherwise known as the rogue data cache load bug. The L1 terminal fault exploit was also shored up with hardware changes. Software and microcode changes protect those same chips against the Spectre V2 branch target injection bug, the Meltdown V3, a rogue system register read, and the variant V4 speculative store bypass flaw".

I use the computer for photo processing and every bit of extra speed helps. I ended up ordering a 9900K from Amazon in the US for £496 all in (including shipping, VAT & customs). When I ordered it was showing as "Out of Stock", currently showing as "Currently Unavailable". We shall see. I have had good results from Amazon US in the past. £500 is my absolute top price (and I'm selling my 8700K to fund it).

Soldato
I've got circa a dozen B350/X370 boards that have been running 8 core Ryzen chips comfortably for over a year now. I can give you a list if you want. I've just got a CH7 that seems decent so far.
mATX?
Define do it justice? What is wrong with the ASRock B450M Pro4?
They seem to cut corners on things like on-board audio, reinforced slots, heatsinks, etc. So that they can hit a lower price point. Many of the reviews I have read question the VRM implementations for 8-core and record high temperatures during full load. Some of the boards don't have heatsinks on the VRM or only have them on one bank buth not the other.

I'll take another look at some reviews of the ASRock, although I would probably have to add a sound card.

Soldato
Looks like the new CPUs *do* have a hardware fix:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-9-series-cpu-spectre/

"...the new K-series of gaming CPUs that are receiving the fix. Those chips come with changes at the hardware level and should be far more secure against the kind of attacks that Spectre and its ilk have brought to light in recent years. Although they are still based on the same 14nm node that has dominated Intel’s chip designs since 2014, these would be the first ones to come with a fix for these sorts of bugs at the hardware level.

News of the fixes were shared at Intel’s recent desktop press event, where it stated that, “the new desktop processors include protections for the security vulnerabilities commonly referred to as ‘Spectre,’ ‘Meltdown,’ and ‘L1TF.’ These protections include a combination of the hardware design changes we announced earlier this year as well as software and microcode updates.”

The hardware alterations made to the chips protect against Meltdown V3, otherwise known as the rogue data cache load bug. The L1 terminal fault exploit was also shored up with hardware changes. Software and microcode changes protect those same chips against the Spectre V2 branch target injection bug, the Meltdown V3, a rogue system register read, and the variant V4 speculative store bypass flaw".

I use the computer for photo processing and every bit of extra speed helps. I ended up ordering a 9900K from Amazon in the US for £496 all in (including shipping, VAT & customs). When I ordered it was showing as "Out of Stock", currently showing as "Currently Unavailable". We shall see. I have had good results from Amazon US in the past. £500 is my absolute top price (and I'm selling my 8700K to fund it).

These chips aren't fixed.

Soldato
mATX?

They seem to cut corners on things like on-board audio, reinforced slots, heatsinks, etc. So that they can hit a lower price point. Many of the reviews I have read question the VRM implementations for 8-core and record high temperatures during full load. Some of the boards don't have heatsinks on the VRM or only have them on one bank buth not the other.

I'll take another look at some reviews of the ASRock, although I would probably have to add a sound card.

Yeah some are MATX.

Soldato
Looks like the new CPUs *do* have a hardware fix
Yeah, the info was visible on one of the slides from launch day:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32180864

I've posted it several times in this thread when people have said otherwise; including a hardware rep!

Meltdown is arguably the worst of the vulnerabilities from a security point of view, so it is good that has been fixed. L1TF impacted hyperthreading and I can see whiy they would focus on that. It is a shame we still have to rely on microcode and patches for the others, but given than many thought we wouldn't get any fixes this is welcome news.

Soldato
Yeah, the info was visible on one of the slides from launch day:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32180864

I've posted it several times in this thread when people have said otherwise; including a hardware rep!

Meltdown is arguably the worst of the vulnerabilities from a security point of view, so it is good that has been fixed. L1TF impacted hyperthreading and I can see whiy they would focus on that. It is a shame we still have to rely on microcode and patches for the others, but given than many thought we wouldn't get any fixes this is welcome news.

The full extent of this mess isn't known to the public yet. I wouldn't touch Intel with a bargepole if security is a requirement.

Soldato
Which would you recommend for 2700X and I will take another look. Obviously I would go for the 4xx series at this point.

I'll be back in an office this week so I'll have all the details. Off the top of my head the b350 mortar and Taichi boards are very good. If it's quality sounds you're after then go with an external DAC and some half decent speakers.

Associate
I will be going 2700x this month. Trying to decide which x470 mobo to go for.

No need for flashy lights or gimmicks. Just need something to allow a little overclocking and will allow the option to change to the next zen 3700x

Associate
so, um... yeah, I've just seen that in the pile of skylakeX refresh CPUs they have a "new" 10 core 20 thread CPU called the i9 9900X.... not to be confused with the new 8 core 16 thread i9 9900K? Do we think the various marketing groups within intel have just stopped talking to each other?

Soldato
so, um... yeah, I've just seen that in the pile of skylakeX refresh CPUs they have a "new" 10 core 20 thread CPU called the i9 9900X.... not to be confused with the new 8 core 16 thread i9 9900K? Do we think the various marketing groups within intel have just stopped talking to each other?
No, they've just run out of numbers.

Soldato

After watching the video the incompetence of Principled Technologies is staggering. I'm not sure that there were any shenanigans listening to Bill, just poor testing methodology. Some of the issues Steve had were debatable really with regards to is a gamer who wants to get playing games asap going to worry about, but some issues were just terrible decisions. Hopefully they take this as a lesson going forward.

What I do agree with Bill about is the reaction. There should have been a reaction, but it seems as though there were people that were waiting for the release specifically wanting something to be wrong so they can kick off (as they probably wait for any company they have some beef with so they can go loco). On this forum for example the level of outrage gives the impression that there is a lot more to it for those people than just poor methodology. That's the whole rabid fan stuff I guess. Even with 30 odd years of PC enthusiasm it's still just a CPU. Also people like Steve thrive off this hysteria for views which is also an issue as I think it clouds things for them.

Hopefully PT accept the issues and get better in the future.

I seen it differently.

Things came to light in this video its clear that GN (and probably other reviewers) went to great length to maximise AMD's results in their reviews, something which I previously complained about. This interview is as much as about maintaining their own credibility as anything else.

One example is that he revealed in GN testing on ryzen2 chips he pushed fan's to 100% instead of AUTO, that I do not remember been disclosed in his reviews, and the average user is not going to do that, especially when noise is important. He openly admitted when explaining his reason in that it has impact on bench testing results.
Another thing I moaned about, is most of the reviewers were using intel stock configuration, against ryzen2 scores, which to me was wrong, as they were putting in effort to maximise ryzen2 performance but decided to not manually OC the K processors on comparison scores as well as disable MCE.

a lot of people have a bias towards AMD as they feel they deserve it as an underdog with better priced chips, but to me reviews should be done in a fair manner and GN has clearly not been carrying out tests in this way in my opinion.

He raised the point about not using the same exact GPU for testing to remove variability, but I think unless PT deliberately gave the AMD rigs the worst binned GPUs I have no complaint, He mentioned that in the most extreme cases there is a 5% swing in performance, but if the test is not GPU bottlenecked for most of the test, then the impact on the test itself shouldnt be anywhere near 5%. I accept his point but I dont see it as a major one. The GPU silicon lottery e.g. would not cause the impact we seen on the graphs only probably 1-2% of it.

I am still watching the video so I may edit this post as I learn more. Edits will be at bottom.

On the cooler, his reply was rationale, he is imitating an average gamer not a high end gamer, and the AMD chips come with cooler so they get used, intel does not so an after market cooler "has" to be used. I accept that answer personally.

ON the ram,xmp issue. Steve had a point when asking why ram was XMP enabled but then downclocked but I also feel the answer returned was reasonable, the bit on the secondary and tertiary timings been board, chipset and bios dependent for reliability I feel steve wasnt been realistic, the vast majority of gamers wont be manually tuning timings. This video is really interesting as it shows how unrealistic reviewers can get. Info on this video that isnt disclosed in reviews. Also there is no rule stating that all reviewers should be like robots testing in the exact same way. e.g. lets say you got 10 AMD systems, they all run at 2933 ram speed, but 6 run at 3200, and 2 run at 3600. A reviewer like GN I expect would use the binned parts and post a test result at 3600 to show it in its best light, that to me is flawed, a better result is what ALL chips can do in that respect.

On the 64gig ram, yeah that was a silly config, as thats not a typical ram setup, I am definitely happy 4 dimms were tested as reviewers time and time again only test 2 dimms, but I agree with steves point pretty much 100%, given them ram was not at very high frequencies anyway, for both platforms I dont think this amount of ram gimped AMD tho, it was just an unusual config.

Game mode, the big one. His answer to me was logical. Threadripper which steve accepted gaming mode on is the only real choice. The 2700x, apparently works better with it on in some games and others with it off, so more variable, GN would probably toggle it to get best results for every game (imo unrealistic), more likely a user would leave it off all the time or on all the time, its off by default. I feel on all the time or off all the time are both valid ways to test. I feel toggling it for each specific game is "not" realistic. GN seem to be trying to hide deficiencies in their reviews, whilst I feel a review should highlight them instead.

FF15 may be a coding mess, but it remains valid, as there is people who play that game, only testing optimised games again in my view is unrealistic.

I know my post will get blasted but you guys know I havent been happy with the review scene for a while, and I think this set of benchmarks was done using a differet testing viewpoint that is closer to my way of thinking and not what has been accepted as the industry standard and of course with AMD not looking as good a lot of people have thrown their hands in the air.

One reviewer hardware unboxed actually already validated the results as been accurate for the way they was tested, just it was a different testing methodology used.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom