• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

You are comparing chips manufactured by GlobalFoundries 12nm process and Intel 14+++nm process.
The really interesting things will happen next year:
GlobalFoundries needs undefined time to fix its 7nm process;
Intel needs undefined time to fix its 10nm process;
while AMD will happily manufacture 7nm Ryzen 3 at TSMC 7nm process.

Yes I am, but only because of the stigma created on here and elsewhere on the internet.
Yes intel runs hot but lets not pretend AMD runs cool when running at anywhere near those speeds. Like I said, 4.2ghz under a 280mm hitting 80c in cinebench is hardly cool is it?

Yes I am, but only because of the stigma created on here and elsewhere on the internet.
Yes intel runs hot but lets not pretend AMD runs cool when running at anywhere near those speeds. Like I said, 4.2ghz under a 280mm hitting 80c in cinebench is hardly cool is it?

These Ryzen chips cannot and are not intended to run at these frequencies.
A 65W Ryzen 7 2700 hits a normal 55°C with its stock cooler. https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_2700_review,7.html

A 65W i7-8700 hits unbearable 100°C with its stock cooler. https://tekeverything-com.cdn.amppr...ing.com/intel-core-i7-8700-review-benchmarks/

Seems odd to me that 5GHz is still a thing. As far back as Sandybridge some people were hitting it. We're still looking at very few people owning a 5GHz capable CPU. Don't thank Intel for that we'd all be buying quad cores if AMD hadn't pushed them.

I think the majority are just glad to have an option to pay less rather than being held to ransom by Intel drip feeding performance in tiny increments.

After the 9900k where do Intel go next? 6GHz, not happening. Bigger dies, not likely they are already expensive. Glued together cores, a bit hypocritical after taking the mickey out of AMD ;)

My first dip into this thread, the 9900k does look like it could be good. My 2600k is definitely starting to struggle now, especially with Prepar3d V4 (Flight Sim), it relies on both multi-thread performance and also single core performance. Also very interested in what AMD bring with Zen2 performance though.

I hope this is one of the non-K CPUs as it has been delidded and has thermal paste:
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...e-toothpaste-tim.2552726/page-5#post-39554360

That's not thermal paste, it's a de-lidded soldered die.
You can literally see the layer of indium and the gold wetting layer to get the indium to stick to the nickle plated copper IHS. If you zoom in you can also see the layer of gold between the indium and die since you need several layers of gold, nickel, vanadium and titanium to properly get the indium to stick to the silicon die.
Might look like polymer TIM because the IHS was probably heated to the melting point of indium to facilitate its removal.

Edit: Also the die looks bigger than the 8700K one, so this might actually be a legit leak.

Last edited:
Want screens? His address so you can see for yourself maybe?

In fact I don't need to :

Note that the h150i is a 360mm AIO that could only keep it at 81c in blender.
But me and techspot must be lying because it doesn't fall within the narrative, right?

Just run Blender on my own system, yes only the Quick benchmark, but even running the full fat one temps only creep up another 1c or so.
Run at 4.25Ghz all core clock with a single core boost to 4.34Ghz. As you can see, mine never goes above 74.8c. I would suggest the H1 50i Pro is a pile of "doggy droppings" Maybe peeps should actually be looking at this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-liquid-cooling-upgrade-bundle-bu-098-tl.html
Been using the same AIO since i had my 1700.

2q2kcg4.jpg

Just run Blender on my own system, yes only the Quick benchmark, but even running the full fat one temps only creep up another 1c or so.
Run at 4.25Ghz all core clock with a single core boost to 4.34Ghz. As you can see, mine never goes above 74.8c. I would suggest the H1 50i Pro is a pile of "doggy droppings" Maybe peeps should actually be looking at this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-liquid-cooling-upgrade-bundle-bu-098-tl.html
Been using the same AIO since i had my 1700.

2q2kcg4.jpg

Lol, you know that its the same damn AIO right? :)
So yours was 5 degrees cooler? (wow) Can't really compare though as there are many variables, fan speeds, fan type, thermal paste, ambient temp, etc etc.
But yet again, back to the point that was bought up. Yes everyone mocks intels temps but is 75-80c really that cool?
Do you really think a 5ghz ryzen will be easy too cool? Assuming they ever get there.

I think it all depends on the voltages you need to get to those frequencies. I need 1.425v LLC3 (1.398v with vdrop) to get 3.95Ghz stable on my R7 1700 and if I run the y-cruncher stress testing suite on it it gets to a toasty 87~89C with a Noctua D15.
Coffee Lake can be very efficient if you cut back on clocks, but that should be common sense since every CPU will have its voltage/frequency sweet spots.

Seems odd to me that 5GHz is still a thing. As far back as Sandybridge some people were hitting it. We're still looking at very few people owning a 5GHz capable CPU. Don't thank Intel for that we'd all be buying quad cores if AMD hadn't pushed them.

I think the majority are just glad to have an option to pay less rather than being held to ransom by Intel drip feeding performance in tiny increments.

After the 9900k where do Intel go next? 6GHz, not happening. Bigger dies, not likely they are already expensive. Glued together cores, a bit hypocritical after taking the mickey out of AMD ;)
Intel learned back in 2004 or whatever that chasing GHz was not a long term solution because of thermals and fundamental limitations. It sure has been a winning strategy for them in the short term though.

I’d say 75-80c on a highly overclocked 8 core cpu is pretty good really especially when you consider he didn’t have to void his warranty in the process.

As we already know Ryzen isn’t coffeelake it won’t do 5 ghz as it was never meant too, but his chip is clocked close to the limit of what the chips are supposed to do so the temps are pretty good relatively speaking.

7nm will be a different beast and will perform better as a result maybe even close to 5 ghz, we’ll have to wait and see.

You need a combination of node + architecture to be able to reach high frequencies, remains to be seen how high Ryzen 3 on TSMC 7nm or Icelake on Intel's 10nm+ will be able to clock.

Back
Top Bottom