• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Associate
The 8700k at 303 is tempting, but if that was the chip I really wanted I would have bought it a year ago - though looking at the speculative pricing of the 9 series, not sure any intel is going to be worth the buy now, may have to stick with my 2600k a while longer whilst I see what AMD come out with perhaps.

Associate
The 8700k at 303 is tempting, but if that was the chip I really wanted I would have bought it a year ago - though looking at the speculative pricing of the 9 series, not sure any intel is going to be worth the buy now, may have to stick with my 2600k a while longer whilst I see what AMD come out with perhaps.
That's pretty much where I am at too, the 8700k price is very tempting but I'm really keen to see what AMD can do next year also - my problem is I absolutely hate waiting :p

Associate
That's pretty much where I am at too, the 8700k price is very tempting but I'm really keen to see what AMD can do next year also - my problem is I absolutely hate waiting :p

Haha yeah, I have the same problem, I get really impatient. I'm hoping the price of the 9900k's aren't as high as what's being speculated, otherwise the price just isn't going to be worth the performance gain imho (and by that I mean an actual noticeable gain not a benchmark gain - it's not like i'm noticing any slow down in Windows 10, watching netflix etc.).

Soldato
This close to release of the 9900k i would not be buying the 8700k, as you will kick yourself if the 9900k comes in with the performance crown and a good price to match, just hold out a bit longer, i know it sucks but its probably going to be worth the wait.

Soldato
This close to release of the 9900k i would not be buying the 8700k, as you will kick yourself if the 9900k comes in with the performance crown and a good price to match, just hold out a bit longer, i know it sucks but its probably going to be worth the wait.

lol good price, don't know if you noticed but Intel are supply constrained across all 14nm chips, these are going to be rare and expensive.

Soldato
lol good price, don't know if you noticed but Intel are supply constrained across all 14nm chips, these are going to be rare and expensive.

Well yeah, i said a while back if you check my post history i expect these chips to be £500-600 on release, they may even be more with gouging etc, but this close to release of them i would still hold out to see reviews, and then make a decision, especially if they magically sort out the supply issues for their chips.

End of the day it comes down to what the user is happy to do, if they have patience and can wait then it makes sense to wait, if they cannot wait and or need to replace now, then you may as well get an 8700k or 2700x depending on your needs, right now, especially the intel stuff before the price creep gets worse.

Soldato
Well yeah, i said a while back if you check my post history i expect these chips to be £500-600 on release, they may even be more with gouging etc, but this close to release of them i would still hold out to see reviews, and then make a decision, especially if they magically sort out the supply issues for their chips.

End of the day it comes down to what the user is happy to do, if they have patience and can wait then it makes sense to wait, if they cannot wait and or need to replace now, then you may as well get an 8700k or 2700x depending on your needs, right now, especially the intel stuff before the price creep gets worse.
I just don't understand this mentality from Intel. Yes I can see how Nvidia can price what they want because they have no competition. This would be crazy for Intel to try, I'm literally having a toss up between 2700x / 9700k / AMD 7nm. It's a really close call. If Intel play funny buggers with the price then I simply go straight to AMD. It's that simple. It's already a toss up at similar pricing. Surely I can't be the only one? Who do Intel actually think they are? They have lost huge market share to AMD over the last 24 months.

Soldato
I'm literally having a toss up between 2700x / 9700k / AMD 7nm

Well if Ryzen is in your thought process twice, then surely that answers your question: grab the 2700X now and drop in the 3700X later on :p there's a lot to suggest that Zen 2 will close down the core speed deficit to Intel, and it's unlikely Intel will have their house in order before Ryzen 3000 lands. And at these suggested 9000 series prices, the cost of the 9700K would be 2/3 the total cost of both Ryzen chips.

Soldato
Well if Ryzen is in your thought process twice, then surely that answers your question: grab the 2700X now and drop in the 3700X later on :p there's a lot to suggest that Zen 2 will close down the core speed deficit to Intel, and it's unlikely Intel will have their house in order before Ryzen 3000 lands. And at these suggested 9000 series prices, the cost of the 9700K would be 2/3 the total cost of both Ryzen chips.
Need to see the actual price of 9700/9900k though. Who knows. It could be the same as ryzen.

Soldato
That'll be the deciding factor then. The 9700K won't be the same price as a 2700X, but if it's £50-£80 more then you have a winner.

But yes, with that uncertainty I know exactly what your conundrum is :p
Exactly this. It will come down to how much more it is than Ryzen (As I am a gamer it would be stupid to disregard Intel if it's ~£50 more). But I just hope Intel aren't retarded in their pricing here.

Soldato
Im kinda in a quandry, ive had £2k set aside for a while, i spent a bit on the 1700 CH6 and Ram but have since put that back, so im still sat with £2k waiting to upgrade, i have a 27" 1440p 144hz Freesync screen with a 1070, while the GPU is great i do miss freesync, so im thinking of waiting for the 9900k and doing a total new build with that and grabbing a Vega 64 at the same time, then giving my boys the 1700 PC and getting them a 1080p G-Sync screen, as that will keep them going for ages, they only really play stuff like minecraft, Lego games and occasionally i let them have a go at Fortnite.

But im wondering should i just wait til mid point next year to see if 7nm Ryzen is good, as i can go that route, and give them my old PC, just wish AMD had something GPU wise more competitive coming up, would be nice to be able to buy 7nm CPU and GPU from AMD both at the same time next year and then just have done with it all.

I dont really need to upgrade, but ive been sat on the cash for so long, if i dont do something with it soon, my Wife will lol :)

Soldato
Im kinda in a quandry, ive had £2k set aside for a while, i spent a bit on the 1700 CH6 and Ram but have since put that back, so im still sat with £2k waiting to upgrade, i have a 27" 1440p 144hz Freesync screen with a 1070, while the GPU is great i do miss freesync, so im thinking of waiting for the 9900k and doing a total new build with that and grabbing a Vega 64 at the same time, then giving my boys the 1700 PC and getting them a 1080p G-Sync screen, as that will keep them going for ages, they only really play stuff like minecraft, Lego games and occasionally i let them have a go at Fortnite.

But im wondering should i just wait til mid point next year to see if 7nm Ryzen is good, as i can go that route, and give them my old PC, just wish AMD had something GPU wise more competitive coming up, would be nice to be able to buy 7nm CPU and GPU from AMD both at the same time next year and then just have done with it all.

I dont really need to upgrade, but ive been sat on the cash for so long, if i dont do something with it soon, my Wife will lol :)

The AMD vs Intel upgrade debate isn't worth thinking about too much given they aren't on the same release cycle. The new Intel chips shortly will make AMD stuff look slow if not still good value and come zen2, that release will likely make Intel look hugely over priced for possibly no noticeable difference. Pcie4 may well be on the new AMD boards but it's not 100% confirmed. By the time that's required it will be ddr5 anyway. If I had the cash now, I'd buy Intel i7 when it releases and look to upgrade to the i9 later. Come zen2 I'd probably buy that instead.

Soldato
The AMD vs Intel upgrade debate isn't worth thinking about too much given they aren't on the same release cycle. The new Intel chips shortly will make AMD stuff look slow if not still good value and come zen2, that release will likely make Intel look hugely over priced for possibly no noticeable difference. Pcie4 may well be on the new AMD boards but it's not 100% confirmed. By the time that's required it will be ddr5 anyway. If I had the cash now, I'd buy Intel i7 when it releases and look to upgrade to the i9 later. Come zen2 I'd probably buy that instead.

This is actually my current thought process, i dont really want to upgrade twice in a year and a bit but i might just do that, if i go 9900K now and add in a Vega 64, i can still use my Freesync Screen, and get the kids a cheap GSync screen, then when Zen2 arrives i can sell off the 1700 and CH6, drop in the 9900K for the kids and buy a new 3700X and CH8 mobo or whatever if price and performance warrants it, that way i get the newest gen from AMD with a bit of future proofing on early PCIE4 if it happens to be added then.

Back
Top Bottom