Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

A half pint is typically more expensive per ML than pint and should be the case.

There is almost twice as much labour in producing 2 half pints as there is 1 pint. It only takes a few seconds longer to do a full pint but it makes up a fraction of the total labour cost (serving the customer, collecting glasses, washing glasses etc all have to happen twice).

Last edited:
A half pint is typically more expensive per ML than pint and should be the case.

There is almost twice as much labour in producing 2 half pints as there is 1 pint. It only takes a few seconds longer to do a full pint but it makes up a fraction of the total labour cost (serving the customer, collecting glasses, washing glasses etc all have to happen twice).
which would be ok if there were not threatening to remove the value sized glasses leaving only the more expensive options. The equivalent would on ONLY serving half pints of beer.

I am not one for chocolate, but used to be. I bought a Mars bar the other day and was absolutely horrified! Firstly, it was disgustingly sweet, but apart from that it was absolutely tiny. So much thinner than it used to be.
There are so many products they are just wrecking with shrinkflation. Colman's is another one that it's simply not worth buying their products because mostly what you are paying for is a glass bottle. It's so tiny there is one or two portions in it and that's your lot.
Certainly, I have noticed a reduction in quality too. Less expensive ingredients in products. It's insane. I would rather they stay the same and they increase the cost instead of this..
Things like Mars bars are basically the old 'fun size' now.

In the grand scheme of things junk food isn’t really that expensive though and is still cheaper than a lot of healthier alternatives.
Not only that, obesity isn't JUST caused by chocolate and sweets, beige food a big contributing factor, and likely a much larger percentage of the average obese person's diet. Starchy carbs are still carbs and still become sugar.

Not only that, obesity isn't JUST caused by chocolate and sweets, beige food a big contributing factor, and likely a much larger percentage of the average obese person's diet. Starchy carbs are still carbs and still become sugar.

Combined with a more sedentary lifestyle than ever. Office jobs, more streaming services etc

Shoplifting offences have risen by more than 30 per cent in a year to a record 1,300 a day – but only one in seven are being solved, official figures show.

The number of shoplifting offences reported to police jumped from 304,459 in the year to September 2022 to 402,482 in the year to September 2023, a rise of 32.2 per cent. It is the first time on record that it has passed 400,000 in a year.

In the last quarter of June to September, shoplifting offences continued to rise to 1,295 a day, which is up from 882 a day in the same period last year. It is the highest rate since records began in 2003, according to the Office for National Statistics.
shrinkinflation

Our Cambs Sainsbury just installed cameras+tablets at self-checkouts - intrusive, just like Waitrose's , that I no longer use for that reason,
so will have to decide to similarly use the cashiers, or,
seemed you could stand off to the right by basket tray and avoid it, or maybe strategic positioning of your hand ? - any other ideas.

Its laziness. Its people who claim they don't have time or don't know how to put 4 ingredients in a pan for 30 minutes but have time to sit in front of the TV for 4 hours a night and wait 45 minutes for their takeaway that cost them 5x the amount home cooked food would.

The average persons diet is absolute junk and they know it is, they just don't want to take responsibility for it so they just roll out the **** excuses.

shrinkinflation

Our Cambs Sainsbury just installed cameras+tablets at self-checkouts - intrusive, just like Waitrose's , that I no longer use for that reason,
so will have to decide to similarly use the cashiers, or,
seemed you could stand off to the right by basket tray and avoid it, or maybe strategic positioning of your hand ? - any other ideas.
What are you afraid of?

Supermarkets are covered in CCTV, it doesn’t matter if you use the self check out or not.

There are some supermarkets that are using facial recognition tech where they can detect if you have paid for your purchase or not and open the little exit gates to let you out of the shop. If you haven’t paid, they don’t open.

Last edited:
There are some supermarkets that are using facial recognition tech where they can detect if you have paid for your purchase or not and open the little exit gates to let you out of the shop. If you haven’t paid, they don’t open.

There's rumours they will try and use the facial recognition tech at the Self Service to auto auth alcohol purchases by determining your age from the camera.... Luke Littler will be fine :cry:

I can imagine the kids will just ask random shoppers to look at their till to authorise the sale of their alcohol.

Not sure that would be legal in the U.K. as the person selling the alcohol is personally liable for ensuring the person is allowed to buy. If they fail to check, they are personally fined. A machine can’t be held personally liable.

Last edited:
I can imagine the kids will just ask random shoppers to look at their till to authorise the sale of their alcohol.

Not sure that would be legal in the U.K. as the person selling the alcohol is personally liable for ensuring the person is allowed to buy. If they fail to check, they are personally fined. A machine can’t be held personally liable.
I'm sure the law will change for the corporations

What are you afraid of?

Supermarkets are covered in CCTV, it doesn’t matter if you use the self check out or not.
becoming just like China here in UK - do you want your every movement monitored,
if the monitoring was less obvious, rather than self-checkout with a tablet in your face I wouldn't mind as much.

Just speaking to a relation who was saying their Aldi has banned contactless cards (too many stolen ones, even if they have limited funds) , so you have to use your pin

e: sainsburys, by face id, might prosecute me for using a relation, who lives 100's of miles away's nectar card

Last edited:
Everything is a rip off now.

Ok if your a youngster and your not generally aware of things, but dear god even staples are ridonkulus.

We generally cook from scratch and you can notice the difference on fruit and veg.

Back
Top Bottom