Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

So you can't count the cost of new machinery, buildings, tooling, training, staffing in the costs of production?

No, i dont know why you are randomly pushing this idea, trying to find a way through to your point of, overly greedy capitalists.

I spend my time reading financial statements, its not easy you know, i've got a list of 15 or so companies to invest into, out of the entire world.

But you make it sound like its easy, just double your prices, no problem.

Half the companies dont even make any money,

No, i dont know why you are randomly pushing this idea, trying to find a way through to your point of, overly greedy capitalists.

But you make it sound like its easy, just double your prices, no problem.

Huh, of course its not that simple. Its an example so I don't start talking about £2.47 vs £3.29...

And yes, unsurprisingly I do think that companies that make billions in profits whilst pushing consumers as much as they think can get away with is greedy capitalists. We have an obscenely wealthy world with a huge number of people who barely get by whilst others have more money than they could spend in 100 lifetimes so yes, greedy capitalists.

I spend my time reading financial statements, its not easy you know, i've got a list of 15 or so companies to invest into, out of the entire world.

What isn't easy, running a successful business or investing? I never said either was easy. Thats why people in these companies are paid massive salaries in certain roles. Thats why some of the brightest and best of society work for these companies. That doesn't mean they aren't greedy capitalists.

Huh, of course its not that simple. Its an example so I don't start talking about £2.47 vs £3.29...

And yes, unsurprisingly I do think that companies that make billions in profits whilst pushing consumers as much as they think can get away with is greedy capitalists. We have an obscenely wealthy world with a huge number of people who barely get by whilst others have more money than they could spend in 100 lifetimes so yes, greedy capitalists.

What isn't easy, running a successful business or investing? I never said either was easy. Thats why people in these companies are paid massive salaries in certain roles. Thats why some of the brightest and best of society work for these companies. That doesn't mean they aren't greedy capitalists.

Because if you are correct then a competing business will have a very easy time offering more value for cheaper, competing and eroding their margins, if everyone is simply greedy capitalists, this is not the case.

Meanwhile you ignore the actual causes of inflation due to environmental protestors lobbying governments to reduce fossil fuels, pushing up the prices of energy, while printing money in the process pushing up inflation further.

if everyone is simply greedy capitalists, this is not the case.

Unite have one take referenced in todays BP remonstrations V - Truss was right, well, Rishi needs to deliver the coup de grace to her truth.

High inflation was initially sparked by supply chain shocks. But there are strong signs that “price gouging” – where businesses hike their prices above supply costs – are now pushing a “second round” of inflation. So while the pandemic, energy demand and the invasion of Ukraine have undoubtedly caused ruptures in supply chains, any “inflation spiral” is being pushed by profits.

Average executive pay increased to £2.59 million

The report also exposes how corporate executives have benefited from these rising profits. Between 2020 and 2021 average pay for the highest paid directors of the UK’s biggest listed companies leapt a colossal 29% from £2.01 million in 2020 to £2.59 million in 2021.

Sharon Graham continued: “It’s not just energy companies. There are businesses right across our economy and their directors who have made vast sums of money from Covid 19 and the inflationary pressures that have followed.

“Those who have profited from the crisis should pay for it. Unite makes absolutely no apologies for demanding better pay for our members. Wage restraint? It’s time to demand profit restraint.”

I just noticed this last night in Tesco

Old size & price : 150g at £1.50

New size and price : 130g at £2.25

Which works out at a staggering 73% increase

Pet food has also gone up in price while down in size.

pouches of Whiskas cat food has gone from :-

100g per pouch @ £11.65 for 40 (£2.91/Kg)

85g per pouch @ £13.70 for 40 (£4.03/Kg)

A rise of 38.5% on something which I have no doubt a large majority of households spend money on.
(Your example of 73% is shocking, but at least it could be considered a "treat" item or something you would not perhaps buy every week)

Pet food in individual pouches/tins for a meal should not shrink in size.

This may cause pets, esp dogs trying to eat something to compensate the loss of 20% in calories etc. Which may not be suitable for dogs’ tummies and a big vet bill

Pet food in individual pouches/tins for a meal should not shrink in size.

This may cause pets, esp dogs trying to eat something to compensate the loss of 20% in calories etc. Which may not be suitable for dogs’ tummies and a big vet bill

That's assuming they haven't been able to increase the "calorie density" of the pouch.

If they use less filler, they can indeed get the same nutritional value from 15g less food.

My local Tesco have stopped selling 1kg bags of onions and are now selling individual onions for 17p each. They've also stopped stocking own brand brown sauce.

Own brand crinkle cut crisps have gone from 85p to over £1 in less then a year.

Back
Top Bottom