Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

Dinner will cost more :eek:

Please understand that the cost of everything has increased so we must pass that on to the customers. Oh, profits were up 10% last year and thats lovely but we want to keep those profits up this year so... cough up.

I'd seen that shoplifting is increasing, but seems the Waitrose customers must be the most likely to do that ?

leastways this morning went through their self checkout and they have mounted 9+" tablets above terminals showing its CCTV of yourself/surroundings. (hope they are chinese)

Funny you should mention CCTV, my local Tesco now has CCTV in each isle and a big screen in the middle of the isle showing the feed. I guess they think that showing people they're on camera will make them think twice about nicking stuff.

looks like my waitrose opinion is shared https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/waitrose-is-watching-you/
All this brings me to my recent shopping experience in Waitrose at Otley. Over the last months I have become aware of the tension and stress that employees seem to be under, the shortage of goods on the shelves and the huge increases in prices for basic items. On my latest visit, I saw that the self-serve checkouts had been fitted with camera surveillance and my every move was being recorded. It was very disconcerting and completely unacceptable to me.

If Waitrose are going down the route of treating all their customers as if they are potential thieves who must be monitored, then I for one and my wife for another will not be shopping with you again. To go from a welcoming, friendly store to a maximum-security prison-type environment is not something I wish to subject myself to. I am aware that shoplifting is on the increase because people are having to choose between ‘heat or eat’, but I will not bear the brunt of being treated as a potential criminal due to the total and abject failure of government policy over these past years.

Many of my friends feel the same, that these security measures are an infringement on our personal liberties. Their reactions range from an intention to use manned tills only to shopping elsewhere until or unless the monitored tills are removed.

I must be honest I laugh at the fools tied to a supermarkets plastic wrapped crud.
Personally I use local farm shops and butchers, which provide grass fed Aberdeen Angus from the farms around my village.
If its not within a local radius, or Scottish produced..... I won't bother. OK for some things like organic Virgin Olive Oil, I have to source from Italy.
I get fresh strawberries, blackberries, gooseberries, vegetables, free range eggs from hens I can see scratching around.
Fresh local potatoes in 5Kg bags for only £3.50 vs the absolute rip offs in the supermarkets.
Also organic Chillies.
Scotland has some of the finest Cheddars known to man too.
Once you start going local, you soon realise just how crap most produce in places like Tesco really is.
Hopefully Clarksons farm will encourage more and more farm shops selling local, to locals, and leave all the city dwellers to their tasteless, overpriced, drowning in plastic, supermarket garbage!
I know which is healthiest and tastiest, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I must be honest I laugh at the fools tied to a supermarkets plastic wrapped crud.
Personally I use local farm shops and butchers, which provide grass fed Aberdeen Angus from the farms around my village.
If its not within a local radius, or Scottish produced..... I won't bother. OK for some things like organic Virgin Olive Oil, I have to source from Italy.
I get fresh strawberries, blackberries, gooseberries, vegetables, free range eggs from hens I can see scratching around.
Fresh local potatoes in 5Kg bags for only £3.50 vs the absolute rip offs in the supermarkets.
Also organic Chillies.
Once you start going local, you soon realise just how crap most produce in places like Tesco really is.
Hopefully Clarksons farm will encourage more and more farm shops selling local, to locals, and leave all the city dwellers to their tasteless, overpriced, drowning in plastic, supermarket garbage!

Back in the real world most people have no choice but to use supermarkets.

Its great that you have access to local butchers and local produce but for most people thats not the case.

As for the few that are in my local area the quality and price is no better than the local supermarket.

The Museum of brands is in Notting Hill and has a time tunnel that you walk through which has the packaging of the products through the decades, going through it shows just how much shrink flatiron has occurred. The original 1930’s Mars bar was massive etc

Also organic Chillies.

There's a problem with distance also, supermarkerts are close by easy access.

Last time I went into a farm the prices were eye watering I walked straight out.

Back in the real world most people have no choice but to use supermarkets.

Its great that you have access to local butchers and local produce but for most people thats not the case.

As for the few that are in my local area the quality and price is no better than the local supermarket.

This is such a weird internet flex. Most butchers are of the same quality of supermarkets. Unless you want to spend an absolute fortune which most don’t or can’t. I’ve yet to go into any of these mythical butchers that are cheaper and better quality than a supermarket. I just don’t think they exist.
What is a shame is the losing of supermarket butcher counters. However, I now eat meat maybe once or twice a month so maybe I’m to blame for it!

What is a shame is the losing of supermarket butcher counters.
yes agree - js replaced with a diy pizza section and sushi (bigger margins?), tescos has nothing.

---------

lol sounds like the mp who had no idea on the price of milk/bread,
potatoes in the supermarket usually local fens/lincs (don't grow them efficiently everywhere in uk anyway) - good varieties like melody/chopin 2kg/£1.

equally, even though waitrose might be expensive for some things, if you keep your eyes on deals, they're worth the occasional visit, just need to find a way to gimp the cctv,
maybe i'll hang my shopping bag over the ipad, postit ?

Rooster potatoes in Asda are £2 for 2Kg. This is £1 per Kg.
Organic fresh farm potatoes like I purchase, £3.50 for 5Kg, £0.70p per Kg.
I get that folks in cities seem unable to function outside of a concrete hellhole without shops, but in theory there would be nothing stopping someone making a trip out to a farm shop somewhere once a week surely? 2/3 friends could ride share and have a nice afternoon out, picking up their fresh produce for each week ahead.
Probably too much effort for folks who like to sit on their anus and have greasy takeaways cooked in rat infested kitchens with ambiguous ingredients, delivered by someone with questionable immigration status in a vehicle only deemed road worthy by virtue of a crooked MOT tester.

Rooster potatoes in Asda are £2 for 2Kg. This is £1 per Kg.
Organic fresh farm potatoes like I purchase, £3.50 for 5Kg, £0.70p per Kg.
I get that folks in cities seem unable to function outside of a concrete hellhole without shops, but in theory there would be nothing stopping someone making a trip out to a farm shop somewhere once a week surely? 2/3 friends could ride share and have a nice afternoon out, picking up their fresh produce for each week ahead.
Probably too much effort for folks who like to sit on their anus and have greasy takeaways cooked in rat infested kitchens with ambiguous ingredients, delivered by someone with questionable immigration status in a vehicle only deemed road worthy by virtue of a crooked MOT tester.

Well you sound absolutely delightful.

Back
Top Bottom