Cost of Living - Shrinkflation is speeding up at an alarming rate

There is oddness with Morrisons, their fresh food choice is poor compared to places like Asda, the more Morrisons loyalty scheme offers a weekly deal that ends Sunday night, which is flawed if you doing a Monday delivery, as the offer cant be used against the order, and you cant see the new offer until Monday starts, but if you wait until Monday, good luck getting a same day slot.

However if you live in a Ocado area, you will really rarely get subs or "no stock at all", the dates will be consistently very good, and food will be delivered in bags. This is because its delivered from a distribution centre instead of a retail shop, so earlier in the supply chain, and Ocado staff it seems dont mind using bags.

The more Morrisons site is interesting as it shows how much is in store only and not made available for online, about 2/3 of the promoted products are not listed on the website.

Last edited:
The moment I sniff private equity in a business as a consumer I've already consigned it to the grave. Though to be fair I think Morrisons may just about subsist, but there's only so much space for competition so I'm still not sure.

Fair point. You may be right with regards to Morrisons although I had the opinion that ASDA was moving in the right direction. Time will tell I suppose.

Asda and Morrisons financial situtaion is dire.
What am I missing?

Never mind, this article paints a much grimmer picture.

Hate leveraged buyouts. Looks like this is one if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
Buying packs of tiny ice cream tubs, 4 to a pack, haagen dazs. Deffo bad value per gram so fits in with shrinkflation, however I have always hated trying to scoop out frozen ice cream from a tub, so I have taken the hit on this one for convenience.
shouldn't be allowed to call the carte-dor stuff ice-cream, no cream which is what makes ice cream worthwhile, so we don't buy that -
got to be rich for haagen dazs though, better value at Lidl/Aldi.

otherwise have to track the grams of cream(saturated fat) per scoop to see if product is shrinking and they are just adding air in new recipes.

Asda and Morrisons financial situtaion is dire.

Round our way Asda seems to only employ brainless buffoons.

Used to be fantastic but since Wal-Mart sold out it went down hill rapidly.

We tried and tried and tried, but eventually we had to cave in, the in store stock was abysmal the quality of the offerings went downhill, the service went downhill, we had to switch to online shopping due to work and family commitments and the things they used to substitute, ordered a sliced 50/50 kings mill, got sent a bakery fresh rye bread, what about hovis or Warburton's or own brand, we'd have had brown bread or white, so many options spring to mind before bakery fresh rye bread FFS. Also had where we ordered whole milk and got subbed banana milk shake fridj, ordered baby milk powder, got sent baby powder, then lockdown kicked in and just couldn't get a slot, makiythe trk there was a nightmare. Ended up going to Tesco and you know what they're amazing, if they are subbing something it's always useful and 9 times out of ten it's subbed in your favour, ordered a 79cl jack Daniels, didn't have it so they sent a 1ltr of the correct product for same price, had it with burgers bought there BBQ range didn't have them so sent their finest version for same price. Have also had it where ordered kingsmeal, didn't have it so they sent own brand, but also refunded the difference. Rarely now though we've found that they make any substitutions at all for the past 6 months, and 9 times out of ten we get a phonecall asking if we'd take our delivery earlier than the time slot... Er yes please then we can get on With our day/evening. They are dearer I admit, but worth the cost for less aggravation.

We tried and tried and tried, but eventually we had to cave in, the in store stock was abysmal the quality of the offerings went downhill, the service went downhill, we had to switch to online shopping due to work and family commitments and the things they used to substitute, ordered a sliced 50/50 kings mill, got sent a bakery fresh rye bread, what about hovis or Warburton's or own brand, we'd have had brown bread or white, so many options spring to mind before bakery fresh rye bread FFS. Also had where we ordered whole milk and got subbed banana milk shake fridj, ordered baby milk powder, got sent baby powder, then lockdown kicked in and just couldn't get a slot, makiythe trk there was a nightmare. Ended up going to Tesco and you know what they're amazing, if they are subbing something it's always useful and 9 times out of ten it's subbed in your favour, ordered a 79cl jack Daniels, didn't have it so they sent a 1ltr of the correct product for same price, had it with burgers bought there BBQ range didn't have them so sent their finest version for same price. Have also had it where ordered kingsmeal, didn't have it so they sent own brand, but also refunded the difference. Rarely now though we've found that they make any substitutions at all for the past 6 months, and 9 times out of ten we get a phonecall asking if we'd take our delivery earlier than the time slot... Er yes please then we can get on With our day/evening. They are dearer I admit, but worth the cost for less aggravation.

I tend to turn off substitution - though a long time since I've shopped at Tesco but some of the others the substitutions were just ludicrous and mostly seemed to be trying to palm off the closest match, which usually wasn't close at all, out of whatever stock they had trouble shifting.

I mean you kind of deserve it if you're buying 50/50 bread.

The whole milk situation is a complete joke though, is this human error or is it just the computer if you will matching milk with milk? Sounds like it’s some 16 year old having a right laugh to me.

Back
Top Bottom