• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could AMD retreating to mid-range & Nvidia becoming out of affordability scope help optimization?

Caporegime
Is it confirmed that AMD are not releasing enthusiast level cards anymore or is this just rumors?

Just rumours.
----------

I love how we get smaller and smaller performance jumps each gen for our money and the only argument people can come up with is "games aren't optimised, that's why we need DLSS"

We deserve everything that's happening to us in this space....

Caporegime
Nvidia puts out a 3060Ti +10% in the name of a 4060Ti for 3060Ti money and it runs like a 3060Ti in 2023 games... "boo game developers, we need DLSS" _____ me....

This 2023 game doesn't run well with my 2016 mid range levels of VRam that i bought in 2021 for £650, game developers are at fault... what? They should stick to 2016 textures because you can't control your impulses when it comes to Nvidia?

Last edited:
Soldato
This 2023 game doesn't run well with my 2016 mid range levels of VRam that i bought in 2021 for £650, game developers are at fault... what? They should stick to 2016 textures because you can't control your impulses when it comes to Nvidia?
VRAM hasn’t really been the issue though aside from the odd title here and there, it’s the lack of raw horsepower more often and RT that makes the games run like ****

Caporegime
VRAM hasn’t really been the issue though aside from the odd title here and there, it’s the lack of raw horsepower more often and RT that makes the games run like ****

I don't think about 90% of the people who say "this is fine" know what a VRam bottleneck looks like, which is probably why they blame game developers.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Surely it's a ruse,
Oh don't worry Nvidia we aren't making a high end chip you don't have to make a supper powerful card to beat us btw

Boom

8990XtX3d
Nothing over the last few years suggests AMD are capable of such a leap-frog effort. They've been struggling to match nV's 2nd/3rd tier for a long while.

Caporegime
Nothing over the last few years suggests AMD are capable of such a leap-frog effort. They've been struggling to match nV's 2nd/3rd tier for a long while.

6000 series says otherwise, was a vast leap over what came before and they were only really behind on RT. The 6900xt was matching and beating the 3090 in some games.

Last edited:
Associate
Skipping the high-end for a generation isn't all that bad. If my memory serves me correctly they did it with the Radeon 3850 and 3870. AMD needs to work on their RT performance and power efficiency with RDNA4 in order to have a great mid-range card.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Could this not work in our favour? Nvidia exist in the high unaffordable end and AMD doing reasonably priced mid range cards, then optimisation of games would be a much hotter topic as less people would be able to throw pure horsepower and badly optimised games

Last edited:
Caporegime
AMD gaming GPU sales down nearly 20%. Share price falls 6% on the news

AMD also announced it expects to sell $3.5 billion of Ai GPUs in 2024, about 10 times lower than Nvidia is tracking. AMD says there is no supply issue it is meeting full demand for mi300x

AMD's gaming hardware business unit — which sells discrete Radeon graphics processors and system-on-chips for consoles — earned $1.368 billion for the fourth quarter of 2023, down 17% compared to the same quarter a year ago, while its operating income decreased to $224 million. AMD says that while sales of its Radeon GPUs increased, sales of game console SoCs declined.

Last edited:
Associate
A lot of people seemingly would only ever consider a nVidia GPU (and I don't just mean on this forum!) no matter how overpriced they are.
Until that changes, I can't see things getting much better.

(I'm not excusing AMD's current pricing here either, it's fairly apparent that they are just pricing a little below the nV options for similar raster performance while ignoring their shortcomings in other areas, DLSS vs FSR being a big one)

Caporegime
Really?

RX 7800XT Sapphire Pulse, 16GB, £480.

Zotac RTX 4070 Super, 12GB, £590.

Why you would buy the 4070S over the 7800XT for £110 more?

I'd much rather get the 7800XT and then stuff £110 in to a charity collection pot.

Last edited:
Caporegime
An example of some of the things you could buy with the savings you would get by buying the 7800XT instead of the 4070S.

This..

With this...

If your budget is £500 to £600 then you don't have money to throw away, why not treat yourself to two or three very nice things?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
IMO the difference between DLSS and FSR is over stated, i think when tech jurnoes have to blow the image up by 500% to count pixels they are clutching at straws.
They blow the images up to make it more obvious on a youtube compressed video which is fair enough. The differences are obvious in actual reality in things like temporal stability. MOst people will be watching these reviews on their phones, so being able to blow up with long zooms is necessary.

A prime example that anyone can test right now with is Starfield, an AMD sponsored game, yet enable FSR and you see unstable shimmering of background point sources, an issue that does not exist when using DLSS seconds later.

This is also an issue in Cyberpunk and plenty of others.

The bare fact of the matter is FSR is and seemingly always will be, 2 generations behind DLSS, it also uses software methods to do its job whilst DLSS uses hardware. Hardware upscaling will always be higher quality than software, regardless of how anyone tries to spin it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They blow the images up to make it more obvious on a youtube compressed video which is fair enough. The differences are obvious in actual reality in things like temporal stability.

A prime example that anyone can test right now with is Starfield, an AMD sponsored game, yet enable FSR and you see unstable shimmering of background point sources, an issue that does not exist when using DLSS seconds later.

This is also an issue in Cyberpunk and plenty of others.

Some Temporal AA image artificing when used, or lack there of is not worth £110 and planned obsolescence. IMO.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It could be, many of us have high end displays and GPUs, any such visual flaws become obvious. Nobody knows how long DLSS will last, but the fact that more new games are using it than not points to it carrying on for the long run. The extra price for that cleaner visual experience is worth it i that regard. And for the games that don't have DLSS out of the box, it can just be injected in via a mod.

Soldato
things can change quickly, AMD have lost in the new and comically priced £1700+ segment for now and Im not too bothered since I will never ever hand that over for a GPU

Back
Top Bottom