Could someone recommend me a speaker with built in amp for pc

Soldato
QA 3070s subwoofer is no good anyway, not unless you get an amplifier that has sub out or pre out, which the Marantz 5005 doesn't. You'd have to spend a bit more on an amp to get sub or pre out

Even so, I wouldn't buy the 3070s regardless, not when the BK Gemini II is only a few more £.

QA 3020i are a good speakers, but if you have a Richer Sounds store near you, then you can get the 3020 for a paltry £100. I very much doubt the 3020i model is worth the extra £150.

If you are looking to spend £250 on the speakers, I'd probably be more inclined to spend a bit extra and go for maybe Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or if slightly larger speaker is not an issue; DALI Zensor 3; otherwise for £100 the 3020 are a fantastic bargain (if you can get to a Richer Sounds store).

Bronze 2 and Zensor 3 have larger woofers, so as Ivan has said above; you may feel a subwoofer is not needed.

Of course if you do have a local Richer Sounds store, you should be able to demo all these.

For the amp: Marantz 5005 is a decent budget amp, but something like the Yamaha AS501 for £250 might be a good choice. Has dedicated subwoofer output (so no need to mess around using speaker level cables from amp to sub) and a built in DAC. If you've not got a sound card, saves connecting the amp to the onboard audio.

Associate
OP
QA 3070s subwoofer is no good anyway, not unless you get an amplifier that has sub out or pre out, which the Marantz 5005 doesn't. You'd have to spend a bit more on an amp to get sub or pre out

Even so, I wouldn't buy the 3070s regardless, not when the BK Gemini II is only a few more £.

QA 3020i are a good speakers, but if you have a Richer Sounds store near you, then you can get the 3020 for a paltry £100. I very much doubt the 3020i model is worth the extra £150.

If you are looking to spend £250 on the speakers, I'd probably be more inclined to spend a bit extra and go for maybe Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or if slightly larger speaker is not an issue; DALI Zensor 3; otherwise for £100 the 3020 are a fantastic bargain (if you can get to a Richer Sounds store).

Bronze 2 and Zensor 3 have larger woofers, so as Ivan has said above; you may feel a subwoofer is not needed.

Of course if you do have a local Richer Sounds store, you should be able to demo all these.

For the amp: Marantz 5005 is a decent budget amp, but something like the Yamaha AS501 for £250 might be a good choice. Has dedicated subwoofer output (so no need to mess around using speaker level cables from amp to sub) and a built in DAC. If you've not got a sound card, saves connecting the amp to the onboard audio.

Thank you so much, that's some great advice. i shall look into it.

Soldato
I should have pointed out that you can only get the Gemini II subwoofer direct from BK Electronics themselves, but if you can listen to some speakers at somewhere like Richer Sounds, then you can at least get an idea whether you'll want to get a subwoofer as well, or maybe at a later time.

Associate
OP
I should have pointed out that you can only get the Gemini II subwoofer direct from BK Electronics themselves, but if you can listen to some speakers at somewhere like Richer Sounds, then you can at least get an idea whether you'll want to get a subwoofer as well, or maybe at a later time.

So if I go for a Dali Zensor 3 speaker and Yamaha A-S501 Integrated Amplifier. Go for a sub later that would be a good choice?

Soldato
I like the marantz amp but none seem to take a subwoofer.

Not even the more expensive 6006 and 7005 have a pre or sub outputs. I have no idea why Marantz don't include one or the other.

Lack of pre or sub out won't stop you using a subwoofer with the 5005 or 6006 though, if you prefer the slimmer profile of Marantz amps; you'll just have to use the high level input on the subwoofer.

Just noticed Denon PMA720 has pre out, which is about £180.

Back
Top Bottom