Could someone recommend me a speaker with built in amp for pc

Associate
OP
Not even the more expensive 6006 and 7005 have a pre or sub outputs. I have no idea why Marantz don't include one or the other.

Lack of pre or sub out won't stop you using a subwoofer with the 5005 or 6006 though, if you prefer the slimmer profile of Marantz amps; you'll just have to use the high level input on the subwoofer.

Just noticed Denon PMA720 has pre out, which is about £180.

I think i'll go for the Dali Zensor 3 or Monitor Audio Bronze 2. They look more in my price range. but im not sure about Denon PMA720, I heard a worrying review on amazon. Any other you can recommend to go with the speakers

Soldato
Buy sub later

1) you may not want or need a sub
2) you may have greater demands for one higher output, bigger driver, more powerful amp, features like high pass, peq. Movies demand a powerful sub
3) you may prefer floorstanders over standmount for 2 channel therefore not needing a sub.
4) you could prefer ported over sealed, or if sealed Matt need to get better spec to similar rated ported due to how sealed is.
5) put the extra cash into speakers (or amp) so you buy bigger, better sounding, better build speakers,more powerful amp/ features.

In a 2 channel system I prefer bigger speakers and no sub. I use kef reference floorstanders in hifi with svs 12" sealed box 400w but the sub is not needed, if you went for those celestions they'll sound better than those Dali by miles build quality ten times better, you won't need a sub with wider frequency response, and easy to get setup no sub integration to pull your hair out. Also subs in 2ch can be difficult to set up you don't have bass management so have to send full range to sub adjust crossover adjust the gain. Or send high level to sub then high level out from sub to standmount ( if your sub has high pass, and if you so buy stand mounts this is very useful)

You may want to look around for a sub that has high pass I've used it. Both of my cinema and 2ch subs have this feature as does my outlaw ICBM-1. I. A sub-sat or sub-sat system the sub will pass >80hz to speakers and <80hz goes to sub. Not needed if you have floorstanders but worthwhile for bass shy speakers.

Pretty sure bk sub comes with high level cable?

Associate
OP
Buy sub later

1) you may not want or need a sub
2) you may have greater demands for one higher output, bigger driver, more powerful amp, features like high pass, peq. Movies demand a powerful sub
3) you may prefer floorstanders over standmount for 2 channel therefore not needing a sub.
4) you could prefer ported over sealed, or if sealed Matt need to get better spec to similar rated ported due to how sealed is.
5) put the extra cash into speakers (or amp) so you buy bigger, better sounding, better build speakers,more powerful amp/ features.

In a 2 channel system I prefer bigger speakers and no sub. I use kef reference floorstanders in hifi with svs 12" sealed box 400w but the sub is not needed, if you went for those celestions they'll sound better than those Dali by miles build quality ten times better, you won't need a sub with wider frequency response, and easy to get setup no sub integration to pull your hair out. Also subs in 2ch can be difficult to set up you don't have bass management so have to send full range to sub adjust crossover adjust the gain. Or send high level to sub then high level out from sub to standmount ( if your sub has high pass, and if you so buy stand mounts this is very useful)

You may want to look around for a sub that has high pass I've used it. Both of my cinema and 2ch subs have this feature as does my outlaw ICBM-1. I. A sub-sat or sub-sat system the sub will pass >80hz to speakers and <80hz goes to sub. Not needed if you have floorstanders but worthwhile for bass shy speakers.

Pretty sure bk sub comes with high level cable?

How much do you suggest i spend? The kef reference floorstanders seem very expensive, what model number do you have?

Last edited:
Soldato
How much do you suggest i spend? The kef reference floorstanders seem very expensive, what model number do you have?

Kef ref are very expensive but I have older models.

It's not about how much you spend but want to get good speakers. You don't need spend a lot if you look around, ie I bought £900 speakers for £130.

Associate
OP
Kef ref are very expensive but I have older models.

It's not about how much you spend but want to get good speakers. You don't need spend a lot if you look around, ie I bought £900 speakers for £130.
Wise words hornetstinger. I just wish I knew what I wanted, so so much choice, just wish i had the knowledge.

Soldato
If you decide to buy those celestion A2 he's asking a bit much,.lowest I've seen is £300 but that was very unusual to be sold that low (mint condition too) so I would say 450 is a fair price if you get him to drop it. You'll need a good amp.as.thry are 4 ohm speakers.

You won't get speakers built like that anymore even at £2000.

Also you won't need a sub.

Soldato
I think they are local pick up only, so that needs to be taken into consideration. Depends where the seller and buyer are located. I imagine there are some great bargains to be had for local pick up items, because the interest is much lower if the seller is out in the sticks, so to speak. Many people don't want to travel, and prefer someone to bring the item/s to their door. Can understand why many seller's don't offer delivery on floor standing speakers, especially if they don't have the packaging anymore.

Associate
OP
If you decide to buy those celestion A2 he's asking a bit much,.lowest I've seen is £300 but that was very unusual to be sold that low (mint condition too) so I would say 450 is a fair price if you get him to drop it. You'll need a good amp.as.thry are 4 ohm speakers.

You won't get speakers built like that anymore even at £2000.

Also you won't need a sub.

ah it some way, as I live in South Wales.

Associate
Hope I make sense had bit of a drink lol. I talked to richer sounds and they said to go for the Cambridge Audio TOPAZ SR20 amp and the Audio BRONZE 2 speakers. What you think, im going to pop in and try them out mind

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like good choices to me.

The amp has sub out, which the Marantz 6006 doesn't, so connecting a subwoofer will be even easier, should you want to.

I've got a Cambridge Audio myself, albeit an older model from their Azur range. They are good amps.

Have a listen to some other speakers while you are there. While the Bronze 2 is a good speaker on paper, you may prefer the sound of something else.

Back
Top Bottom