• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could this be the steal of the century...... ?

Associate
Now before anyone rips into me about how dumb this was, please bear with me

I've been thinking about upgrading my 5960 to either a ThreadRipper or a 7960X and to cut a long story short there was a "New unopened " 7960X listed on the the Bay a few days ago that I put a bid on and won for silly money.

I know about the " If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is" mantra

However, paying for it with Paypal Credit and the Bay's guarantee of what you order is what you get I though what the hell it's worth a punt even if it's only 10-20% likely to be a genuine new 7960X. A bit of research on the seller didn't throw up any obvious red flags.

I've bought a rather tasty Asus Apex MoBo which has arrived and the CPU is supposed to arrive on Tuesday.

If it comes good I'll say what I paid for it, if not I'll shrug my shoulders, have a good whinge to the Bay and get my money back and buy a pucker one anyway.

Fingers crossed for next week. Sometime you just got to take a punt.

Annoying thing is that I've got 2 days of off site corporate stuff next week so it's going to be Thursday/Friday before I can plug whatever I get into the MoBo, assuming that it fits even the socket :p

I was going to try and set up a poll for a bit of fun but I can't see how to do one these days on this forum.

Soldato
It is when they're going for £1,350

No one is buying them for £1350.

The most recent ebay sales (other than yours) are £870 and £999 but those were buy it nows.

Auctioning a low demand item like the 7960X will always get less.

Associate
OP
I had a look at the 2 other 7960X Muon had mentioned

the £870 one was from Latvia - even less risk there then..

the £999 one was from someone who's account had not been used for a year and the current other items for sale were 2 sets of coloured shoe laces, Oh yes and also a nice new shiney 7980X as well now, funnily enough. No danger that ebay ID has been hacked then. I've filed a fraud alert with eBay on this one.

The user I bought mine from at least had other tech items in their history and the account was active unlike the £999 seller, and I do know that histories can be manipulated.

Like I said, a big punt , but that's the whole point of this thread......

Last edited:
Caporegime
£670 is a pretty good deal for a 7960X, if they were that price retail AMD would have to knock a fair chunk off their 1950X price to be competitive. I'd have waited for it to arrive before buying a motherboard though. If they don't want to let it go for that price they'll do the whole "it must have got lost in the mail" routine.

Soldato
Dammm, that is a nice price if legit, shudders to make me think what I paid for simply two more cores over that :eek:

But yeah, the APEX + that CPU will be a tasty combination with the right workloads compared to your 5960x.

Associate
OP
£670 is a pretty good deal for a 7960X, if they were that price retail AMD would have to knock a fair chunk off their 1950X price to be competitive. I'd have waited for it to arrive before buying a motherboard though. If they don't want to let it go for that price they'll do the whole "it must have got lost in the mail" routine.

Know what you mean, it’s all one shot in the dark. I’m going to upgrade anyway so the Mobo wasn’t a major issue. If I do decide to change my mind I can always return it.

I’ve got a Royal Mail tracking number for the cpu so we’ll see what happens next week.

Associate
OP
The anticipation builds....

HmWLHBF.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
When buying from eBay, CeX or other potentially dubious sources I try to remember to video record myself opening the packaging so that I have proof of what's inside.

Back
Top Bottom