• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could this be the steal of the century...... ?

Associate
OP
Now managed to get most of the software installed and starting to mess about with clocking the beast.

Bit of a different process and more options from when i clocked my 5960.

Initially clocking easily up to 4.4, gets to 4.5 with bit more power but temps start to get high.

Starting to mess about with per core overclocking so..

2 cores up to 4.7
4 cores up to 4.6
8 cores up to 4.5
16 cores up to 4.4

Seems to be relatively stable and not too toasty. long way to go with getting it dialled in. I need to do some more research.

Soldato
Now managed to get most of the software installed and starting to mess about with clocking the beast.

Bit of a different process and more options from when i clocked my 5960.

Initially clocking easily up to 4.4, gets to 4.5 with bit more power but temps start to get high.

Starting to mess about with per core overclocking so..

2 cores up to 4.7
4 cores up to 4.6
8 cores up to 4.5
16 cores up to 4.4

Seems to be relatively stable and not too toasty. long way to go with getting it dialled in. I need to do some more research.

Pretty much the approach I have taken, no need for all cores to run at max clock's as heat is enormous at that point. With that said how have you overclocked it? With per core overclocking, the 2 top cores in your case will still run at 4.7 GHz, next 4 at 4.6 GHz and so on, even with all cores active. I don't believe they would drop down to 4.4 Ghz across the board.

Associate
OP
Getting a bit too toasty with Handbrake at 4.4.

HnW9tuZM.jpg

Associate
OP
Starting to get my head round it.

Think 4.4 should be doable.

Need to hit the sack and pick it up tomorrow

HnXaE27e.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Getting there

I reseated the cpu block as a I think I had too much TIM on it. Seems to have helped a little.

Think I'll stick with 4.3 for the time being.

Doing well in Adobe Premier editing a 4K video

Ho1UJeF.jpg

Associate
OP
Still messing about with the settings. Now got my 2400 Ram at 2933 and it seems happy ( not fully tested yet )

4.3 seems like the sweet-spot for this CPU without delidding.

Ran CPU-Z and benched against a stock 5960, then just a straight bench.

cpu1.jpg
cpu3.jpg
cpu2.jpg

cb1.jpg

Soldato
Impressive figures! I would have had one of these over the TR 1950X if I could have found one at that kind of price

At RRP these are not good value compared to TR unfortunately, awesome CPU's though

Associate
OP
Have to say I did have a Picard moment the first time I powered it up. :D

I know I can clock it harder but I'm interested in 24/7 not benching ( other than testing stability )

sRQwo.gif

Associate
Good find - I can squeeze out a little extra single thread performance from my 7820X but obviously the extra cores in your (only slightly more expensive) chip blow mine out of the water. I get similar temps at the 4.5-4.6 level so yours at 4.4 with double the cores is impressive.

Associate
OP
Good find - I can squeeze out a little extra single thread performance from my 7820X but obviously the extra cores in your (only slightly more expensive) chip blow mine out of the water. I get similar temps at the 4.5-4.6 level so yours at 4.4 with double the cores is impressive.

Thanks Mate.

I'd love to see what delidding would do, but that's maybe for another day :D

Associate
OP
Playing about with 4.6 at Auto volts, just for a bit of fun. Premier Pro seems happy with it but Cinebench gets it a bit toasty

Dammed close to 4,000 though in CB

Going to try 4.4 now and see if it's liveable 24/7

ppro4.6.jpg

4.61.jpg

Soldato
Thanks Mate.

I'd love to see what delidding would do, but that's maybe for another day :D

Saw a 15-20 degree drop per core on the 7980xe under load so can push overclock a bit higher while keeping temps in check. though it os a joke in that regards compared to x99 with its delid.

Soldato
Tell ya what Pooh, hat's off for that clock................really very impressive (wish we had a thumbs up emoji). Those temps look really good as well....................that chip is crying out to be put under phase, if it was i could see that hitting 5Ghz.

Back
Top Bottom