COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Associate
I felt very rough after each of my three Covid vaccine jabs last year, needing time off work and being borderline for hospital admission after the first jab. My cycling numbers went down the toilet each time for months, but I will happily take another jab if offered, to reduce the risk of serious infection consequences.

Out of interest, which jabs did you get? All 3 of mine were Pfizer and I barely felt anything more than a slightly sore arm for a day or so around the injection site.

Soldato
Out of interest, which jabs did you get? All 3 of mine were Pfizer and I barely felt anything more than a slightly sore arm for a day or so around the injection site.
2x OxAZ then Pf booster.

I had stuff going on including a headache that wouldn't shift with painkillers; blurred vision; massive fatigue; legs becoming incredibly heavy and swollen; arms so weak that a standard cup of water felt like lifting ~5Kg+ etc. for ~2 weeks each time.

My first ever flu jab a month before the booster was absolute bliss, a really mildly sore arm.

Associate
2x OxAZ then Pf booster.

I had stuff going on including a headache that wouldn't shift with painkillers; blurred vision; massive fatigue; legs becoming incredibly heavy and swollen; arms so weak that a standard cup of water felt like lifting ~5Kg+ etc. for ~2 weeks each time.

My first ever flu jab a month before the booster was absolute bliss, a really mildly sore arm.
Seems crazy to me that you would willingly go back for more of the same (unless you're in a very high risk category), but your choice I guess.

Soldato
Seems crazy to me that you would willingly go back for more of the same (unless you're in a very high risk category), but your choice I guess.

To me, it's what's so crazy about putting up with a few side effects compared to serious long term damage, or even death, by not winning a game of Russian Roulette against Covid?

I see what Covid can do every day, thankfully she is still here with me, but long Covid brought on by infection before the vaccines came along has destroyed my better half's life as she knew it. Serious breathing issues for 5+ weeks when we both got it in March '20, fine for the summer, but then a relapse since November '20 that has kept her off her NHS work and barely able to a damn thing involving physical exercise like simply walking at a very slow pace for a few minutes since Xmas '20. We live in hope that her health will improve.

Last edited:
Soldato
To me, it's what's so crazy about putting up with a few side effects compared to serious long term damage, or even death, by not winning a game of Russian Roulette against Covid?

I see what Covid can do every day, thankfully she is still here with me, but long Covid brought on by infection before the vaccines came along has destroyed my better half's life as she knew it. Serious breathing issues for 5+ weeks when we both got it in March '20, fine for the summer, but then a relapse since November '20 that has kept her off her NHS work and barely able to a damn thing involving physical exercise like simply walking at a very slow pace for a few minutes since Xmas '20. We live in hope that her health will improve.
Sorry to hear about these complications.

Has it ever occurred to you that “long covid” might be vaccine side effects?

Unless of course she’s unvaccinated. Is she?

Associate

Sounds like you had more than what I'd describe as "a few side effects". I understand you wanting to be extra cautious based on your other half's experience, but at the same time it's unlucky to have such a severe reaction. If it was probable that people would suffer similar symptoms after infection then half the country would be out of action by now.

Soldato
Couple of weeks ago my team at work all went into the office (normally all work at home), and spent part of that time sat in a small meeting room together. Ta da, last week and this week a bunch have had covid (not sure whether I might have done - possibly did last week with very mild symptoms, didn't hear people had had it until a couple of days ago and didn't test until yesterday though and was negative). A couple had to take most of last week off sick, one (with a pre-existing health condition) had the whole week + some of this week off and still seems ill now.

Possible that people caught it independently, but catching it at work seems the most likely to me.

Just seems crazy that covid isn't being taken more seriously. Aside from ruining some people's weeks (and risking long term complications), it's been really bad for team productivity. If we really do need to go into the office sometimes you'd think they'd at least take it seriously with extra ventilation and more space in meeting rooms, but it seems not...

Soldato
What is the solution though? Close the world forever? The vaccines clearly aren’t nearly as good as they were pitched originally. Remember Biden and Fauci categorically staying that if u get the vaccine “it’s okay, you won’t get covid”? It’s laughable now. What’s more interesting to me anyway is the steadfast faith people still put in them, despite being shown again and again they’re not very good and carry a very real risk of serious complications.

For example, nobody is discussing the data collected by VAERS. I encourage you to download the data yourself and look. The last time I checked, the issues logged against the covid vaccines in the last 2 years were more than every other vaccine combined, since 1994. But again, don’t take what I say as gospel - go and look.

Then you have a myriad of people with “long covid”. Personally I don’t know any unvaxxed with this, only people who took the jab. But I admit that’s anecdotal at best.

What needs to happen is to remove the taboo around talking about this. Remove the fear people have of being labelled anti vax or a crazy loon by discussing the very real problems people are facing as a result of the jab.

I suspect that in years to come when it becomes the norm to discuss these things, this period of time will be taught in classrooms about how mass hypnosis and group think works. And how easily people are turned against their fellow human by press and politicians.

Soldato
Sorry to hear about these complications.

Has it ever occurred to you that “long covid” might be vaccine side effects?

Unless of course she’s unvaccinated. Is she?
We have both had three vaccine jabs so far.

However, the vaccine cannot be blamed for her long Covid. As I wrote last night, her long Covid began November '20, her first vaccine jab was around February '21 because frontline nhs staff were given higher priority regardless of age.

Man of Honour
Couple of weeks ago my team at work all went into the office (normally all work at home), and spent part of that time sat in a small meeting room together. Ta da, last week and this week a bunch have had covid (not sure whether I might have done - possibly did last week with very mild symptoms, didn't hear people had had it until a couple of days ago and didn't test until yesterday though and was negative). A couple had to take most of last week off sick, one (with a pre-existing health condition) had the whole week + some of this week off and still seems ill now.

Possible that people caught it independently, but catching it at work seems the most likely to me.

Just seems crazy that covid isn't being taken more seriously. Aside from ruining some people's weeks (and risking long term complications), it's been really bad for team productivity. If we really do need to go into the office sometimes you'd think they'd at least take it seriously with extra ventilation and more space in meeting rooms, but it seems not...
If they wanted to take it more seriously then they could have tested before coming onsite and found a larger / better ventilated meeting room?

Soldato
You don't think that any vax side effects are conflated as 'long covid'?

No.

Long Covid came first.
The Vaccines do not contain Coronavirus.

However I suspect neither of us are qualified to say for sure, so if you can show an article from a formal medical body that say otherwise for certain then please go ahead.

I'll apologise in advance if I'm getting this wrong, but quoting (but not linking) to some raw data that obviously needs expert interpretation and saying "do your own research" is a bit limp. Finally, as to "why is nobody talking about..." - whenever I see this I don't see why "because the experts have checked and there is nothing to talk about" is not a valid answer.

Soldato
If they wanted to take it more seriously then they could have tested before coming onsite and found a larger / better ventilated meeting room?
Yeah exactly - ventilation, testing before meetings, using larger rooms, masks where close contact can't be avoided etc are all options which could be taken by the organisation, yet for some reason none of that is happening.

They have hand sanitiser stations around the place and wipes to clean your desk once you've finished with it, those are pretty much the only concessions to infection reduction these days though.

Soldato
A much better answer is to provide the explanation as to why there's nothing to talk about.

Disagree respectfully, if the world worked that way how would there be any time to talk about the problems?

Just because some non-experts make an ascertion it's not worth it (unless some genuine experts are ascerting otherwise?) otherwise we'd have teams of people dedicated to dispelling all myths

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll apologise in advance if I'm getting this wrong, but quoting (but not linking) to some raw data that obviously needs expert interpretation and saying "do your own research" is a bit limp.

I get that, and see your thinking. I simply didn't want you to take my word for it (hence my suggestion you check yourself). To check, go to the VAERS site > Data > CDC Wonder tool: https://wonder.cdc.gov/vaers.html

Search for side effects by vaccine, then by year. Then scroll, and I chose from 1995 to 2022. There's a total of 1,929,341 (1.9million) events reported to this system for all vaccines since 1995. Of which, 865,643 were attributed to:

COVID19 (COVID19 (PFIZER-BIONTECH))
COVID19 (COVID19 (MODERNA))
COVID19 (COVID19 (JANSSEN))

Change that to the last 2 years (2020 to 2022), and the covid shots account for 86% of all reported events. Now, consider that the USA never had the more problematic AZ vax...

From that dataset, it's true to say that the Covid vaccines have had more adverse reactions reported than every other vaccine, combined, since ~2004.

Look I don't want to get into arguments with folk, and I appreciate that some effects reported may have not have been related 100% to the prior shot. But let's be honest... it's clear as day that these so-called vaccines:

A) Carry a very real risk of side effects
B) Have a low efficacy rate.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the last 2 years, 86% of reported side effects reported from vaccines, in the USA can be attributed to Covid shots.

And yes, I appreciate some will be small. Some will be life-changing. Some, are fatal. As can be said for all the other shots.

Edited to say that of 22,858 fatal reactions during that time period, 16,355 were Covid shots.

Man of Honour

By contrast, most of us meet once or twice a week, across various teams, various sites, and other than being sensible (i.e. if you feel ill you do a test or stay at home if you don't want to pay for a test) we've had very low cases of covid. Sure it does happen, but having those team meetings/workshops/industry events/stakeholder events are so important that a remote meeting just won't cut it. I guess it depends on the industry too.

That said, as I've said before, covid has shown that workplaces can be more flexible - which is great, however I think in the long run most companies will expect at least 2 days a week in the office, and frankly I think it's important, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't go up more.

Back
Top Bottom