COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Man of Honour
I managed to avoid catching COVID until now, but earlier this week a couple of family members tested positive, and the next day I felt a bit rough.

The first night was unpleasant, a burning sinus pain and raging temperature. It subsided a bit the following day and I just felt a bit grim as you would with a cold, but with a few aches all over. Since then I've felt a lot better and just had mild cold symptoms but very minor really. I noticed yesterday my smell has gone a bit, taste is a bit weak but still there. Chest has been a little sensitive but not much of a cough.

However, all in all I feel about 90% fine and that's just after 3-4 days, but it's certainly been a bit weird as I've seen people say before. There's no doubt it's extremely contagious, one person managed to pass it to about 5 others without being in especially close contact!

It does seem to be spreading like wildfire at the moment in general.

Soldato
Does anyone have back pain problems as a symptom of COVID?

I had back pain for about 2 weeks before I last caught it - it was quite distressing as the young one and I love to go explore together and that inevitably entails carrying her fairly long distances.

I've now got back pain again, but instead of lower, it is now upper - top of my spine type stuff. I'm hoping this isn't COVID take two!

Soldato

I had back pain for about 2 weeks before I last caught it - it was quite distressing as the young one and I love to go explore together and that inevitably entails carrying her fairly long distances.

I've now got back pain again, but instead of lower, it is now upper - top of my spine type stuff. I'm hoping this isn't COVID take two!
I’m asthmatic and when I had asthma attacks and chest infections, upper back hurts. Probably lungs inflamed pressing against ribs at back

Associate

I had back pain as one of my symptoms.

Soldato
It's a mixed bag, small studies seem to show there's no statistical link between covid and shingles, but a small link between vaccination and shingles (within 28days), but more research needed. There's also the added complication of just general stress from lockdowns etc that might have an effect.
I quickly googled it, im not delving into the research but the first line of the article is

https://us.gsk.com/en-us/media/press-releases/new-large-scale-observational-study/

So it would see the link between Covid and shingles has been found but anything more than a casual link between the vaccines and shingles has not.

Man of Honour

My lower back was quite painful, lasted a couple of days (after the start of symptoms).

Associate
Did you have it before/after/during and upper or lower?

Interesting - it was my lower back "last time" as well; however it proceeded 'full blown Covid' by a fair while (rather than after the start of the symptoms).

It felt like my entire back and it was the first symptom I got. It lasted around 4 days.

Soldato
Soldato
150 studies detailing the (in)effectiveness of masks: https://centerforneurologyandspine.com/do-masks-work-see-the-review-of-over-150-studies-below/
I'm reading all the ad-hom attacks on me in the (now archived) covid forum, most amusing!

Would still 'ad-hom' you regardless, as you're the type to take it as a free pass to do whatever you want instead of just using a more effective respirator (of course, the effectiveness of the respirator depends on its operator and maybe with you that would be a lost cause anyway). It has been known for quite some time that as covid mutated to become extremely transmissive, masks that weren't proper respirators weren't that much effective any more, especially in enclosed settings with no air movement.

The fact you felt the need to go back and read all the things people said about you says a lot about the type of person you are though, that's quite weird mate.

Associate
Would still 'ad-hom' you regardless, as you're the type to take it as a free pass to do whatever you want instead of just using a more effective respirator (of course, the effectiveness of the respirator depends on its operator and maybe with you that would be a lost cause anyway). It has been known for quite some time that as covid mutated to become extremely transmissive, masks that weren't proper respirators weren't that much effective any more, especially in enclosed settings with no air movement.

The fact you felt the need to go back and read all the things people said about you says a lot about the type of person you are though, that's quite weird mate.
I'm not mentally ill

Soldato
150 studies detailing the (in)effectiveness of masks: https://centerforneurologyandspine.com/do-masks-work-see-the-review-of-over-150-studies-below/
I'm reading all the ad-hom attacks on me in the (now archived) covid forum, most amusing!

I'll take a punt that there is an agenda there, i.e.

150 "studies" about "masks" in "any context", including the classics:

36) The Year of Disguises, Koops, 2020“The healthy people in our society should not be punished for being healthy, which is exactly what lockdowns, distancing, mask mandates, etc. do…Children should not be wearing face coverings. We all need constant interaction with our environments and that is especially true for children. This is how their immune system develops. They are the lowest of the low-risk groups. Let them be kids and let them develop their immune systems… The “Mask Mandate” idea is a truly ridiculous, knee-jerk reaction and needs to be withdrawn and thrown in the waste bin of disastrous policy, along with lockdowns and school closures. You can vote for a person without blindly supporting all of their proposals!”

38) Double-Masking Benefits Are Limited, Japan Supercomputer Finds, Reidy, 2021“Wearing two masks offers limited benefits in preventing the spread of droplets that could carry the coronavirus compared to one well-fitted disposable mask, according to a Japanese study that modeled the dispersal of droplets on a supercomputer.”

41) Is a mask necessary in the operating theatre?, Orr, 1981“It would appear that minimum contamination can best be achieved by not wearing a mask at all but operating in silence. Whatever its relation to contamination, bacterial counts, or the dissemination of squames, there is no direct evidence that the wearing of masks reduces wound infection.”

My Favourite

57) Most Mask Studies Are Garbage, Eugyppius, 2021“The other kind of study, the proper kind, would be a randomised controlled trial. You compare the rates of infection in a masked cohort against rates of infection in an unmasked cohort. Here things have gone much, much worse for mask brigade. They spent months trying to prevent the publication of the Danish randomised controlled trial, which found that masks do zero. When that paper finally squeaked into print, they spent more months trying desperately to poke holes in it. You could feel their boundless relief when the Bangladesh study finally appeared to save them in early September. Every last Twitter blue-check could now proclaim that Science Shows Masks Work. Such was their hunger for any scrap of evidence to prop up their prior convictions, that none of them noticed the sad nature of the Science in question. The study found a mere 10% reduction in seroprevalence among the masked cohort, an effect so small that it fell within the confidence interval. Even the study authors couldn’t exclude the possibility that masks in fact do zero.”

Soldato
I'll take a punt that there is an agenda there, i.e.

150 "studies" about "masks" in "any context", including the classics:

36) The Year of Disguises, Koops, 2020“The healthy people in our society should not be punished for being healthy, which is exactly what lockdowns, distancing, mask mandates, etc. do…Children should not be wearing face coverings. We all need constant interaction with our environments and that is especially true for children. This is how their immune system develops. They are the lowest of the low-risk groups. Let them be kids and let them develop their immune systems… The “Mask Mandate” idea is a truly ridiculous, knee-jerk reaction and needs to be withdrawn and thrown in the waste bin of disastrous policy, along with lockdowns and school closures. You can vote for a person without blindly supporting all of their proposals!”

38) Double-Masking Benefits Are Limited, Japan Supercomputer Finds, Reidy, 2021“Wearing two masks offers limited benefits in preventing the spread of droplets that could carry the coronavirus compared to one well-fitted disposable mask, according to a Japanese study that modeled the dispersal of droplets on a supercomputer.”

41) Is a mask necessary in the operating theatre?, Orr, 1981“It would appear that minimum contamination can best be achieved by not wearing a mask at all but operating in silence. Whatever its relation to contamination, bacterial counts, or the dissemination of squames, there is no direct evidence that the wearing of masks reduces wound infection.”

My Favourite

57) Most Mask Studies Are Garbage, Eugyppius, 2021“The other kind of study, the proper kind, would be a randomised controlled trial. You compare the rates of infection in a masked cohort against rates of infection in an unmasked cohort. Here things have gone much, much worse for mask brigade. They spent months trying to prevent the publication of the Danish randomised controlled trial, which found that masks do zero. When that paper finally squeaked into print, they spent more months trying desperately to poke holes in it. You could feel their boundless relief when the Bangladesh study finally appeared to save them in early September. Every last Twitter blue-check could now proclaim that Science Shows Masks Work. Such was their hunger for any scrap of evidence to prop up their prior convictions, that none of them noticed the sad nature of the Science in question. The study found a mere 10% reduction in seroprevalence among the masked cohort, an effect so small that it fell within the confidence interval. Even the study authors couldn’t exclude the possibility that masks in fact do zero.”

Devil is in the detail as always, lol.

Back
Top Bottom