COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Man of Honour
It isn't a magic bullet though, and loads of people are suffering from long COVID who were previously extremely fit and healthy. At times people are pushing it as if it overrides other concerns.

Of course but just looking at the number of people with co-morbidities and obese people who were affected more by it tells its own story.

That doesn't mean to say you should lick your fingers after being on the tube, but it does build resilience.

Covid aside we should be promoting healthy living, there would be less pressure on the NHS for a start!

UTT

UTT

Associate
Part of the covid measures introduced by the govt, and backed by all politicians, was the closure of all gyms/sports centres/swimming pools etc plus restricting you to exercise on your doorstep.

Meanwhile, take aways and fast food remained open and boomed in business!

No biggie!

Man of Honour
Part of the covid measures introduced by the govt, and backed by all politicians, was the closure of all gyms/sports centres/swimming pools etc plus restricting you to exercise on your doorstep.

Meanwhile, take aways and fast food remained open and boomed in business!

No biggie!

Puzzling eh that businesses which could operate with minimal human interaction were allowed to operate under different rules to ones involving people in enclosed spaces and physical exertion which aids in viral dispersion.

Albeit I think we should have done more to support gyms, etc. in operating temporarily under adapted circumstances.

Soldato
Of course but just looking at the number of people with co-morbidities and obese people who were affected more by it tells its own story.

That doesn't mean to say you should lick your fingers after being on the tube, but it does build resilience.

Covid aside we should be promoting healthy living, there would be less pressure on the NHS for a start!

Most people today simply don’t have time.

Man of Honour
My friend works circa 60 hours a week plus his commute. Barley has time for his family now.

I do similar hours (I'm not 100% WFH) and still get at least 2 MMA sessions and 2 gym sessions in. I have 2 kids as well and spend a good amount of time with them in the evenings and a lot of time together at the weekends. And still do a stack of housework and so on. You can make it work if you want it badly enough. My blood work is spot on for someone of my age, and I'm in physically great shape for my age. I attribute my resilience to covid significantly to my fitness and healthy living.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do similar hours (I'm not 100% WFH) and still get at least 2 MMA sessions and 2 gym sessions in. I have 2 kids as well and spend a good amount of time with them in the evenings and a lot of time together at the weekends. And still do a stack of housework and so on. You can make it work if you want it badly enough.

The amount of time people must commit to work life in the UK is increasing rapidly and this is having an effect on health of the population. I’m equally sure some people have plenty of time and don’t use it productively.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most people today simply don’t have time.

Well, I hear this a lot but more often than not it's a poor excuse.

I work a lot of hours so I'm sympathetic to that but I still find a way to go to the gym five days a week along with at least one BJJ class.

It involves waking up very early every day which took some getting used to, admittedly.

The mental and physical benefits of looking after your body are exponentially rewarding and I find it very sad most people will never understand them.

Much easier to eat crap and live a sedentary lifestyle with medicine pedaling you along. I've spent periods living that way and you don't even realise how terrible it is until you experience the clarity you get when you stop.

People have the right to live their life however they choose and I respect that but I definitely am not going to waste mine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Being fit and healthy doesn't mean you're not going to get covid, and eventually long covid.

In the long covid groups most don't have pre existing conditions. They have never been seriously ill in their life.

The research is pointing to a genetic component that isn't producing enough of the right antibodies to remove the virus completely. The body struggles to produce it. So you might be ok the first few times you get covid. But eventually an accumulation effect occurs.

It's not a coincidence all these people dying suddenly.

You won't realise your oxygen is desaturating or your heart is racing until you get into serious problems.

Man of Honour
The mental and physical benefits of looking after your body are exponentially rewarding and I find it very sad most people will never understand them.

Much easier to eat crap and live a sedentary lifestyle with medicine pedaling you along. I've spent periods living that way and you don't even realise how terrible it is until you experience the clarity you get when you stop.

People have the right to live their life however they choose and I respect that but I definitely am not going to waste mine.

Problem is getting there in the first place, also a lot easier if you have space for a home gym.

Reality is for a lot of people if you are working a lot of hours, especially if you have a family, working night hours, etc. getting some decent work out time in is prohibitive and same for eating well. It was so much easier during the pandemic when we went down to 3 days a week at work.

Associate
Gone around my brother's workplace again - the source of it when my family got it before. Seems he picked it up but had pretty much no symptoms other than feeling a bit dizzy one morning and a slight cough and doesn't seem to have spread it to the rest of us. Where he works people do a lot of travelling so seems to be where it is coming from.

Had a cold start with bizarre sudden dizzy spells last Friday. Runny nose all weekend. Cough came on yesterday. Thought it was just a normal cold but you mentioning dizzy spells got me thinking so I just did a test. Kit is out of date but there's a line, albeit faint. Meh.

Man of Honour

Surprise in that the actual law is different to what is being portrayed there, albeit there is a slightly concerning aspect to it. The law is largely designed to tackle quacks and/or those promoting unproven alternative medicines and/or those in a professional capacity intentionally giving bad advice that might result in someone not taking their medically prescribed treatment.

Associate
Had a cold start with bizarre sudden dizzy spells last Friday. Runny nose all weekend. Cough came on yesterday. Thought it was just a normal cold but you mentioning dizzy spells got me thinking so I just did a test. Kit is out of date but there's a line, albeit faint. Meh.

Strange. Thought I'd do another test this morning as yesterday's line, whilst clearly present, was faint. All clear this morning.

Soldato
Strange. Thought I'd do another test this morning as yesterday's line, whilst clearly present, was faint. All clear this morning.
Yeah my recent bout did this too. Tested positive on the Tuesday, by Friday my red line was practically glowing... and Saturday evening it had pretty much disappeared.

My take on it is that the first time you're infected with it the virus hangs around for ages - I tested positive for a fortnight! - whereas this time it was barely five days. Same happened with my wife.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom