COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Soldato
The most annoying part of this is that some of the people who caught Sars1 had similar issues.

The lab scientists know the mechanisms covid is using and the differences in why some people recover while others struggle

Ok, I'll accept that covid isn't the only one to have systemic organ damage. I think because covid spreads more than flu it's become a bigger issue.

I want there to be a solution to all these problems.

There is an incentive to play this down by governments because they don't want to pay money to sort out the problems.

I was a skeptic of covid at the start, and I'd never heard of people not recovering until I wasn't recovering. I think people say long covid and not covid is because my covid was mild. Yes I needed oxygen for 2 days. But when I came home at the 2 weeks mark I started to get symptoms I didn't have before. Heart rate, blood pressure, blood circulation issues, breathing became worse. I didn't have those symptoms to that severity until after covid.

Whether people want think covid or long covid isn't bad is immaterial. The virus is going to keep causing damage. I think until someone has it or knows someone who has it then I can understand being skeptical. I had never heard of so many people having lasting symptoms before. I thought if covid didn't kill us then we'd recover.

In my own situation when I had pneumonia about 5 years ago and was in hospital for 2 weeks with breathing problems. Once I had the medication after about 4 days my oxygen levels returned to normal.

When I first got covid in December 2020 I had minor oxygen issues and felt light headed at night. But after 5 days I recovered.

The second time I got covid was in July 2022. That lasted for about 4 months. My oxygen was dipping. But I was still managing to move around.

I'd just recovered from that bout only to get it again in December 2023. Oxygen levels down to 70%. Was in hospital and they put me in paxlovid. I came off the oxygen after 2 days. But every time I move around my oxygen drops back in the 70s. If I stay still it'll creep back into the 90s.

It's now been over a year and I still have the oxygen problem (and a high heart rate too). The weird thing is even when I use supplemental oxygen if I move I still go down to the 70s. It just brings me back up quicker.

So far my covid doctor is a joke. Wasn't interested in listening to the symptoms during the first appointment, and isn't engaged at all.

We maybe as well have AI because most doctors are acting like computers. All they are bothered about is reading a chart. If it says there is no problem they give up, even when they can see the person is ill.

No one takes 'long covid' seriously - so adding it in with the long term effects of other viriuses and calling it something different is likely to be helpful.

Caporegime
Why are you minimising and trivialising the effects flu?
Maybe because even the highest 'flu rate' in recent years (2010-2011) still only equated to around 0.12%.

So lets apply that to a UK population of 67million, that would be around 80k cases of the flu.

Whereas cases of COVID in just England were 9.5million in just 2021.

So it being 118x more prevalent than the flu counts for something, the effects of long-flu are not trivialized, just being put into perspective of the sheer reach covid had.

Soldato
So we should all ignore Long COVID/ME then because it happens with the flu too and so it's a non-issue? (no mention of the prevalence of the two viruses from you though and prevalence matters in terms of your risk of developing long term complications).
Most cases of flu are very mild or even asymptomatic. Its far more prevalent than people think.

Caporegime
No it wouldnt, it would 80k cases with vists to the GP, the actual number of flu cases would be far far higher.
Why, if the 0.12% is from the reports of flu-like symptoms per 100k, I could extrapolate that to the wider population.

Yes, it is not exact, but the ratio of CONFIRMED cases of covid is far higher than even the worst year for flu, compare it to flu in like 2017/2018/2019, the ratio is even larger.

Soldato
Why, if the 0.12% is from the reports of flu-like symptoms per 100k, I could extrapolate that to the wider population.

Yes, it is not exact, but the ratio of CONFIRMED cases of covid is far higher than even the worst year for flu, compare it to flu in like 2017/2018/2019, the ratio is even larger.
Because your report is people who visited a GP, not total cases per 100k. The COVID cases you refer to are not cases who visited a GP, the stats are not comparable. Confirmed cases of COVID will be far higher because of the testing, flu is not routinely tested for anything like COVID was in 2021 in the general population

There is good data on this from the CDC. The estimate of flu cases per year is orders of magnitude higher than the confirmed cases.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

"Other possible serious complications triggered by flu can include inflammation of the heart (myocarditis), brain (encephalitis) or muscle tissues (myositis, rhabdomyolysis), and multi-organ failure (for example, respiratory and kidney failure). Flu virus infection of the respiratory tract can trigger an extreme inflammatory response in the body and can lead to sepsis, the body’s life-threatening response to infection. Flu also can make chronic medical problems worse."

Sure maybe it happens but I've literally never heard of anyone developing heart issues post flu, etc. we've had 3 people at work alone who did post COVID and I know of 2 others amongst friends and family. All but one of those were previously fit and healthy and 3 of them under 30.

EDIT: Albeit in one case it was a mixture of an untreated tooth infection and COVID scarring.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why are you minimising and trivialising the effects flu?
I'm not, but the number of people getting long term complications from flu and other common viruses is much lower than from COVID, low enough for those in power to have easily ignored the life destroying effects over decades; this is an absolute disgrace and is why we are in such a mess and know so little about Long COVID.

I hope that the silver lining of so many people getting long term complications from COVID will be that such conditions can no longer be ignored and dismissed as 'psychological' or as 'female hysteria' (they tend to disproportionately affect women). It's more difficult to minimise such things when the numbers are so significant.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sure maybe it happens but I've literally never heard of anyone developing heart issues post flu, etc. we've had 3 people at work alone who did post COVID and I know of 2 others amongst friends and family. All but one of those were previously fit and healthy and 3 of them under 30.

EDIT: Albeit in one case it was a mixture of an untreated tooth infection and COVID scarring.
And I've literally never personally heard of anyone developing heart issues after having COVID. I do on the other hand know of at least 1 person who has had myocarditis post flu.

If bundling in "long covid" with all other post viral issues means that overall research into the conditions as a whole is increased then great.

Associate
And I've literally never personally heard of anyone developing heart issues after having COVID. I do on the other hand know of at least 1 person who has had myocarditis post flu.

If bundling in "long covid" with all other post viral issues means that overall research into the conditions as a whole is increased then great.
My nephews partner developed heart trouble with covid and it continued after he slowly recovered

Soldato
No one takes 'long covid' seriously - so adding it in with the long term effects of other viriuses and calling it something different is likely to be helpful.
They do take it seriously. Just because you've seen a headline trying to play the condition down doesn't show the full picture.

There is a medical term for long covid that isn't post viral fatigue. Do you know what it is, without looking it up?

Commissario
I suspect there’s rather a lot of people claiming “long covid” to avoid working and to scrounge benefits, especially the younger generation.
LOL

you really think that benefits are high enough for people to enjoy being on them, especially with a condition that is exceptionally unlikely to get you anything other than the basic rate of UC/job seekers.

Commissario
I was just checking as it seemed an incredibly ill informed thing to state.

I'm sure that there are loads of people, including those that were doing quite well at their jobs and earning more than a couple of hundred pounds a week who were just looking for a reason to cut their income down massively.

IIRC the people with LC come from all walks of life and all income brackets.

Soldato
Not a surprise that the usual suspects are posting crap again.

There are a lot of limitations to the study being quoted - not least that they didn't control between vaccinated and non vaccinated individuals, as we know vaccination brings down the risk of long covid significantly.

Furthermore, even if we assume the rate of CFS with covid is the same as the flu, you're conveniently forgetting how much more covid spreads compared to the flu, full stop. Most people will get flu every few years if they're unlucky, covid is throwing out free candies to swathes of the population constantly and infecting people multiple times. It's not comparable at all.

Last edited:
Associate
Not a surprise that the usual suspects are posting crap again.

There are a lot of limitations to the study being quoted - not least that they didn't control between vaccinated and non vaccinated individuals, as we know vaccination brings down the risk of long covid significantly.

Furthermore, even if we assume the rate of CFS with covid is the same as the flu, you're conveniently forgetting how much more covid spreads compared to the flu, full stop. Most people will get flu every few years if they're unlucky, covid is throwing out free candies to swathes of the population constantly and infecting people multiple times. It's not comparable at all.

Covid is a busted flush but you can hang on to it for as long as you want

Back
Top Bottom