COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Man of Honour
PS: Everybody I spoke with, who said they had it, I asked them if they'd previously had the flu. They said yes. I asked if it felt the same. They said yes. I've never had flu, and never knowingly had coronavirus. Seems like a duck to me...

Nah if you've had a proper dose of either there are quite distinct differences, and influenza can actually be worse in some ways. But a proper dose of COVID will leave you feeling "manky" in a way the flu generally doesn't, even a bad dose.

Influenza is almost exclusively an infection of the respiratory system, though the burden of it on the body can have a wider knock on effect, while COVID can be a wider body infection and that can tell.

Well all those tens of millions of test kits that conveniently already existed in March 2020 supposedly worked on it. What were they made for?

I'm not sure quite what you are referring to there but lateral flow test kits have been available for like 70 years or something, the COVID rapid tests are a relatively simple tweak and rebranding of an existing product. (For example https://www.fortislife.com/introduction-to-lateral-flow-rapid-test-diagnostics ).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well all those tens of millions of test kits that conveniently already existed in March 2020 supposedly worked on it. What were they made for?

What millions of test kits? What are you talking about? Are you referring to the PCR used? No, they didn't exist. They needed to get the particular set of primers needed synthesized after the sequences were revealed. But primers are something you can just order and it'll turn up in a few days. Actual Covid test kits didn't turn up for many months after the pandemic began.

PS: Everybody I spoke with, who said they had it, I asked them if they'd previously had the flu. They said yes. I asked if it felt the same. They said yes. I've never had flu, and never knowingly had coronavirus. Seems like a duck to me...

Just because the disease is similar doesn't mean the cause is. Loads of different viruses can cause cold-like symptoms for example. But, in any case, I don't know anyone who lost their sense of smell or taste with flu, nor do I have any friends who died of flu, and I've only ever known really old people need to go to hospital with flu. None of those things are true for covid.

And, again, they're fundamentally different in biology. What you are saying is equivalent to arguing that a scorpion and a nettle are the same thing because they can both sting you.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm not sure quite what you are referring to there but lateral flow test kits have been available for like 70 years or something, the COVID rapid tests are a relatively simple tweak and rebranding of an existing product. (For example https://www.fortislife.com/introduction-to-lateral-flow-rapid-test-diagnostics ).

Why did we have millions of them in stock already, when until 2020 virtually nobody had heard of them? Those things were all over the place like those silver bottles thrown on the street by naughty teenagers. I'm sure you were familiar with them being a medically knowledgeable person, but ask the average man on the street New Years Eve 2019 "have you ever heard of or experienced a lateral flow test" and he'd give you a blank look.

Soldato
but there is something compelling about how the pyramids were built given what historians would have us believe the available resources were at the time.
xUsPIp1m.jpg

Soldato
Why did we have millions of them in stock already,

Because as Roff said, LFTs are commonly used, it didnt take much to change the molecule they reacted to.

when until 2020 virtually nobody had heard of them? Those things were all over the place like those silver bottles thrown on the street by naughty teenagers. I'm sure you were familiar with them being a medically knowledgeable person, but ask the average man on the street New Years Eve 2019 "have you ever heard of or experienced a lateral flow test" and he'd give you a blank look.

What's the fact that the average person on the street is not that bright and generally quite uninformed* got to do with the quick availability of covid LFTs being a valid 'conspiracy theory'?

To easily answer your question though, pregnancy tests are a common LFT, just because a lot of people hadn't heard of the acronym, they did know what they were.

* Which is the basis of most 'conspiracy theories'

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you want to use the term in such a literal fashion then, yeah, there have been conspiracy theories that have turned out to be true. However, I don't think that is the usual usage of the term "conspiracy theory"; simply hypothesising some degree of conspiracy isn't enough.

There can be more than one meaning to a word though in the latter case that's simply arisen out of the fact that most "conspiracy theories" are crank ideas as I already pointed out. It doesn't necessarily follow that just because most are crank ideas that there can't be others which turn out to be true.

Man of Honour
Why did we have millions of them in stock already, when until 2020 virtually nobody had heard of them? Those things were all over the place like those silver bottles thrown on the street by naughty teenagers. I'm sure you were familiar with them being a medically knowledgeable person, but ask the average man on the street New Years Eve 2019 "have you ever heard of or experienced a lateral flow test" and he'd give you a blank look.

It was already a product in mass production in the millions and is simply a tweak and rebranding, we didn't have millions of them in stock, it was a few days work to do the software side and a few weeks on the antigen testing side then they were ready to go on existing production lines producing something like 200,000 a day.

Caporegime
Why did we have millions of them in stock already, when until 2020 virtually nobody had heard of them?

We didn't. Where are you getting this idea from? It's just not true. Mass LFT testing wasn't rolled out until late 2020 because they didn't exist in numbers until that time. The technology itself was widely used and whilst the man in the street might not have known the name "lateral flow test", the average person is familiar with the technology - it's used in pregnancy tests too.

Soldato
I remember the early news conferences, Whitty and Valance were talking about rolling out quick mass testing then and explaining the role in enabling some normality but it took much longer before it actually materialized. This idea we had millions of tests 'in stock' ready to go is just false.

Soldato
What is this guy going on about how we had millions of tests in stock ready to go?

Is he just ignoring the fact we were waiting for countries to get test kits ramped up and ready to go because we didn't have them? It's like some people have a complete memory black hole when it comes to the early days of the pandemic.

Man of Honour
Why did we have millions of them in stock already, when until 2020 virtually nobody had heard of them?

If you ever watch Motorway Cops or Traffic Cops they have been using them way before Covid to test for Cannabis and Cocaine.
Before Covid they just told the suspects to lick the tests, now they sometimes say "Lick this and wipe it around your mouth, it's like the Covid tests" and then some complete brainless idiot will say "I don't believe in that".
Also known commonly as a Drugs Wipe.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What is this guy going on about how we had millions of tests in stock ready to go?

Is he just ignoring the fact we were waiting for countries to get test kits ramped up and ready to go because we didn't have them? It's like some people have a complete memory black hole when it comes to the early days of the pandemic.

Also the initial kits were a best effort to get them out the door - the later kits when they had more time to work on it like the Flowflex ones are much better designed with a process optimised for COVID (the original kits had to adapt a general purpose approach to be able to at least work with COVID) and more sensitive.

Commissario
The basis of the PRC tests is as has been said decades old, once they ID'd the virus it was a matter of adapting the test which is trivial as PCR/Lateral flow is the technology/method not what it's testing.

You've possibly never heard of a PCR test before because you're not a medic or work in a lab that use them?
Yes the average person in 2019 wouldn't have a clue about lateral flow, they also wouldn't be able to tell you the names of half the machinery in the average doctors surgery including what a sphygmomanometer is if you asked them. IIRC the PCR test is basically the same technology that the police use for various things, it's just known by a different name to them (usually related to what it's testing for*)

IIRC they've been using them in labs and for fast response tests for the Flu etc for a long time (apparently the first commercial machine was out in 1985 and was used for a very different disease to covid), hospitals have used PCR tests for a very long time now to work out if a patient was potentially infectious with various different things without the need for a lab test, for example there are versions of the kit that can tell you if you've got Flu type A or Flu type B as all it requires is the little strip to have two of the PCR test lines one for each, rather than one "test line" (I think you can now get a three way test that also does covid).

The reason they were able to get them onto the street within months was because everything bar the actual PCR reaction chemical specific to the Covid virus was already available, so once they had that chemical sorted out they just had to apply it to the "paper" strips already mass produced, fit it in a cheap injection moulded casing and package it up (and the amount needed per test strip is so tiny that a litre of the specific chemical probably does thousands of strips).
Literally it was one chemical needed to be changed for a product that they already made, and some new graphics for the packaging.
Basically they took something that was normally only used "behind the scenes", and made a mass distribution consumer packaged variant.

Sorry if I'm coming across a little harsh but this is a great example of how a CT theory starts from the wrong assumption and a lack of knowledge of what the thing actually is.

[edit]
I see a few replies with other uses of the same technology, I should have guessed the modern pregnancy test was one of them.

*Apparently the first medical use of the technology was sickle cell disease, then it started to be used in police work within a year or so for forensics (I'm guessing probably a quick blood typing, or drug test).

Last edited:
Soldato

and this is why conspiracy theories are generally (not always) nonsense.

You are blindly guessing about something you have absolutely no idea about, forming an opinion and then posting about it on a random forum like it is true.

PS I was selecting primers and carrying out PCR tests back in the 1990s!..... nothing new in that technology there, same with the LFTs as already covered. initially the tests were PCRs , the LFTs came later.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The reason they were able to get them onto the street within months was because everything bar the actual PCR reaction chemical specific to the Covid virus was already available, so once they had that chemical sorted out they just had to apply it to the "paper" strips already mass produced, fit it in a cheap injection moulded casing and package it up (and the amount needed per test strip is so tiny that a litre of the specific chemical probably does thousands of strips).

Small correction here: the thing on the strips is LFT (lateral flow) not PCR. It is based on antigens, rather than on genetics. PCR has to be done in labs in expensive thermo-cycling machines, often in even more expensive qPCR machines that provide a live signal and thus are much faster than basic PCR.

Commissario
Small correction here: the thing on the strips is LFT (lateral flow) not PCR. It is based on antigens, rather than on genetics. PCR has to be done in labs in expensive thermo-cycling machines, often in even more expensive qPCR machines that provide a live signal and thus are much faster than basic PCR.
Sorry I was getting the terms wrong :(

Man of Honour

Same deal with PCR, etc. though an existing well established technology with an adaption for COVID rather than something they had to design from the ground up for the disease.

Associate

I've had both and they felt significantly different.

Man of Honour
I've had both and they felt significantly different.

I think one factor is a lot of people just aren't that in tune, or interested in what is going on, with their body - a cold, flu, COVID, even allergies in many ways it is all just the same to them.

Back
Top Bottom