COVID-19 (Coronavirus) discussion

Soldato
I don't think it's that clear-cut. There was a significant percentage of our staff who hated WFH. Others who enjoyed it at first and during the lockdown periods, but then came to despise it because there was no separation between work and home, even with a nice home office setup. Then there are the antisocial types who would have preferred to work from home anyway.

I don't know what the split is, and no doubt more people now want a WFH or hybrid role, but it does take its toll mentally if you're not regularly talking to people throughout the day.

The time and financial savings from not having to travel in aren’t to be sniffed at but it’s not all positives. Sitting on your tod for 8 hours a day is only for the most introverted of folk.
I always wanted to WFH but was never allowed. it was the one silver lining of COVID for me. I now WFH 2 days a week which is a perfect balance...I still get to see and interact with the team but also WFH 50% (I do 4 long days a week doing 90% full time and have Friday off but that was a child thing not COVID)
has COVID changed my work ethic? no but my ethic has changed thanks to a decade of working my ass off with nothing to show for it

I do my job and to the highest standard I can but I rarely go above and beyond when it comes to things I don't want to do outside of my role profilenas often. I used to but it wasn't COVID which stopped it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Now that I technically report into a team at Miami head office, having a 4-hour round trip into the UK office twice a week seems silly (especially as we already have limited timezone overlap as it is), so I will be pushing for 4 days WFH. Heck, one of my colleagues lives in Oregon, so is perma-WFH.

Associate
Blinkin' heck, that's a bit pricey. At least you can get them now I suppose.
Yeh I got lucky with the appointment, I've been checking off and on for for a while and none were available, then checked a few days ago and there was 1 available at a Boots near to me, my guess it was a cancellation. Yeh not cheap! Together with the parking charge it cost me £108. I'm in 1 of the risk groups that was getting them on the NHS for free up until last October, I still have the same health condition but it's no longer considered for an NHS covid jab.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had AstraZeneca, and apart from feeling abit hyper at nighttime, I couldn't sleep much the nights I had it, I found it was ok.

I can't help but think AZ is getting more negative coverage than Pfizer / Moderna. There were so many reactions to the mRNA vaccines that people had to wait 15 minutes before leaving the doctors. I remember some people had died soon after.

Then suddenly the 15 minutes wait time was removed and AZ started getting negative publicity.

Last edited:
Commissario
I had AstraZeneca, and apart from feeling abit hyper at nighttime, I couldn't sleep much the nights I had it, I found it was ok.

I can't help but think AZ is getting more negative coverage than Pfizer / Moderna. There were so many reactions to the mRNA vaccines that people had to wait 15 minutes before leaving the doctors. I remember some people had died soon after.

Then suddenly the 15 minutes wait time was removed and AZ started getting negative publicity.
IIRC the 15 minute wait after a vaccine had been a thing for years for some vaccines, especially if you hadn't had one of that type before.

I vaguely remember being told to wait for "a few minutes" after having a flu jab at the chemists something like 10 years ago,

Soldato

I had AZ two times, spread 6 months apart. Was a bit rough that night, but otherwise fine.

AZ gets a lot more press I think because of the brain clots. Anything to do with the brain instantly generates a ton of headlines.

Soldato
I had AZ two times, spread 6 months apart. Was a bit rough that night, but otherwise fine.

AZ gets a lot more press I think because of the brain clots. Anything to do with the brain instantly generates a ton of headlines.
I was a cross between rainman and Einstein thinking a thousand things at once :D

Soldato

id not take another mrna vaccination unless it for for cancer or something equally as serious... I had 2, wish id had none... way too much scary **** being reported but ignored by the main stream media..a

Last edited:
Caporegime
id not take another mrna vaccination unless it for for cancer or something equally as serious... I had 2, wish id had none... way too much scary **** being reported but ignored by the main stream media..a

The reality is that mRNA vaccines are immensely safe and there's no reason to distrust them more than other vaccines. Anyone who says otherwise is blatantly ignoring the actual facts, probably in favour of anecdote.

Soldato
The reality is that mRNA vaccines are immensely safe and there's no reason to distrust them more than other vaccines. Anyone who says otherwise is blatantly ignoring the actual facts, probably in favour of anecdote.

they are new - previously only used for serious disease i thought? how can they be proven safe? i work in a team of 5 1 person collapsed after vaccination and the hospital confirmed it was myocarditis caused by the vaccination - and he has had ongoing issues.. where are these excess deaths coming from in all vaccinated countries?

edit
reading the study now btw... did not realize it was a link

Last edited:
Caporegime
they are new - previously only used for serious disease i thought? how can they be proven safe?

Because they've been given to hundreds of millions of people at this point, we have a huge amount of data.

i work in a team of 5 1 person collapsed after vaccination and the hospital confirmed it was myocarditis caused by the vaccination.. where are these excess deaths coming from in all vaccinated countries?

This would be the anecdote rather than data I referred to. In any case, myocarditis is rarer in vaccinated individuals than those who are infected without vaccination.

you state immensely safe but the adverse effects reported are many times higher that "normal" vaccines

Covid-19 vaccines were created using a variety of methods. The number of adverse events are not higher with mRNA vaccines than other vaccines. In any case, the overwhelming majority of adverse events, as with other vaccines, are mild and short term - feeling rough the next day, local soreness, etc. Myocarditis has occurred in some people, but this is not because the vaccine is mRNA - it's because the spike protein itself causes myocarditis. It's a property of vaccines targetted to Covid-19 not a feature of the mechanism used to induce immunity in the vaccine.

Soldato
Because they've been given to hundreds of millions of people at this point, we have a huge amount of data.

This would be the anecdote rather than data I referred to. In any case, myocarditis is rarer in vaccinated individuals than those who are infected without vaccination.

Covid-19 vaccines were created using a variety of methods. The number of adverse events are not higher with mRNA vaccines than other vaccines. In any case, the overwhelming majority of adverse events, as with other vaccines, are mild and short term - feeling rough the next day, local soreness, etc. Myocarditis has occurred in some people, but this is not because the vaccine is mRNA - it's because the spike protein itself causes myocarditis. It's a property of vaccines targetted to Covid-19 not a feature of the mechanism used to induce immunity in the vaccine.

there seems to be two sides to the story with very credible data on each side.. possibly i've be swayed because i followed Dr jon on youtube who was a strict get vaccinated'er, until various reports started to come out and over 3 - 6 months..

The excess death rates dont seem to be contradicted at all

Last edited:
Caporegime
there seems to be two sides to the story with very credible data on each side..

There isn't. Look at the data published in the peer reviewed literature (such as that I linked above). Look at what is being put out by credible public health agencies.

possibly i've be swayed because i followed Dr jon on youtube who was a strict get vaccinated'er, until various reports started to come out and over 3 - 6 months..

Dr John Campbell has, unfortunately, spiralled down into something that is approaching conspiracy theory. He pushes badly evidenced pet theories over data, and is highly inconsistent and inaccurate in his assessment of data. He is a firehose of misinformation at this point.

The excess death rates dont seem to be contradicted at all

What would you expect to happen to excess death rates if you introduce a new disease into the population at very high rates?

Man of Honour
there seems to be two sides to the story with very credible data on each side.. possibly i've be swayed because i followed Dr jon on youtube who was a strict get vaccinated'er, until various reports started to come out and over 3 - 6 months..

Dr John Campbell? - seriously?
You might as well listen to Katie Hopkins and Right Said Fred.

He is only a Dr by name, my brother in law has doctor in front of his name but for history.
Campbell worked as a nursing educator at the University of Cumbria, and has experience as an emergency department nurse

Back
Top Bottom