Crackdown 3

Soldato
If anyone knows how to clean up the image please let me know which settings to use.

Turning taa to low helped but it's still a mix of smear and dots.

There is so much blur, anything more than 6 feet in front of you loses all resolution.

I took a quick photo with my phone, zoom in at the characters on the bridge they are not even 540p. Their jackets say CUSTOMS in big letters across the back but you cant read it until you are right up close.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I have been messing about with settings for an hour or so. (Tbh it was unplayable for me that out of focus).

I have found a way to sort the image out, you need to go to display settings and set resolution scale to 200%.

With resolution scale at 200% the image is clear enough to read the CUSTOMS on the jackets at 10 feet away.

I can photo my settings if you guys want, but basically it's 1080p,vsync on, locked 60fps, 200% rs, with the various textures on ultra and with aa on low and everything else low or off.
edit: post processing and effects I now have on medium.

With these settings game looks pretty ok and quite playable.

Also seems to have some contrast issue. Setting brightness to 100% looks better imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
So the resolution scale at 200% means you are rendering in 4K and then supersampling back to 1080p for your display?

Yeah, not sure what it will be like for you guys at native 1440p and native 4k but at 1080p you literally can't see any detail more than 6 feet away until you crank it all the way to 200%.

It's weird, you have to run at 4k just to get the game to look 1080p.

The game must downscale anything more than 6 feet away.

Soldato
I have been on it for a few hours now and have to say once you sort out the visual and performance issues the game is pretty good fun and runs well.

Getting the agility and strength up a few levels the game play has a nice flow to it.

I quite like cryo shotgun and cryo grenades.

Soldato
Yeah after an hour or so on there it start to feel like the old crackdown.

I think you kill enough of the normal gang members round town then the boss turns up. Im not sure if each boss has there own area, it looks like there is 9 bosses showing in the menu, when you get enough info on them you can fight them.

It feels much the same as old ones but difficulty is on the easy side so I would recommend playing it on at least super agent difficulty if not most fights you can win with eyes closed.

I think the movement on this one actually feels better than the old ones because of the extra dash system. once you level up a bit the combat system feels great ,really fast passed dashing rolling and jumping from enemy to enemy.

Last edited:
Associate
I seem to recall renting a console from blockbuster to play this but my memory plays tricks on me. How long ago was the first one out?
I think I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind trying this new one out.

edit: Ah no. It was out on a 360... I think I borrowed my stepson's xbox to play it. So not as long ago as I thought.

edit2: Plus that review doesn't paint a good picture of this new one...

Caporegime
I've watched the Digital Foundry analysis. Game does look nice. To be honest, if it's just a prettier Crackdown 1 then I'll be like a pig in mud. I'm waiting until the end of next week before I try it as I'll be busy watching European Speedrunner Assembly on Twitch all next week.

Soldato
I seem to recall renting a console from blockbuster to play this but my memory plays tricks on me. How long ago was the first one out?
I think I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind trying this new one out.

edit: Ah no. It was out on a 360... I think I borrowed my stepson's xbox to play it. So not as long ago as I thought.

edit2: Plus that review doesn't paint a good picture of this new one...

The game is not what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be next gen graphics and much improved game over the old ones.

What we have is a game that would have probably been a smash hit on xbox 360 and a good sequel.

I think the game is good but it's 7 years too late.

The city is not as good as the old ones but the fight system is much better.

Definitely worth playing, Im enjoying it.

Soldato
OP
I did over three hours on this last night spread across the Xbox one x and the pc. Both systems run well and the game seems fun. I like the way I can jump between platforms with the same save game.

Difficulty setting needs a bit of tweaking, normal is too easy and the next level up is a bit too hard. Other than that it seems like the Crackdown of old but with new visuals and some new additions ie Loads of guns to try out.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Did you encounter any of the stuttering on PC that Digital Foundry mentioned?

Now you mention it the pc wasn't as smooth as the Xbox and there was some stuttering at points.

Everything on the pc was on max settings and I was getting a locked 100 fps at 3440 x 1440. This was what the in game frame counter was showing.

Soldato
From a critical standpoint, this game is an utter disaster. The world is largely dull and uninvolving, the graphics are fairly poor, the gameplay is far from groundbreaking.

But I'm having a lot of fun :D It's basically just the first Crackdown with a new lick of paint and a few new gameplay elements (jetpack, driving, Terry Crews). It's just a shame it's still a bit rough around the edges (like they've basically just abandoned the game 3/4 of the way through development).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Have to say, after an hour of gameplay, it's like putting on a comfy, old pair of slippers. The gameplay is very much Crackdown 1 and that is just fine by me. OK, the game might seem a bit out of sorts/dated by modern standards but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Just the exploration, finding the orbs is interesting for me. And it's the first Crackdown that you can play in 60fps on PC. No performance problems for the majority of the time, there was some minor stuttering right at the beginning but that seems to have gone away now.

Caporegime
From a critical standpoint, this game is an utter disaster. The world is largely dull and uninvolving, the graphics are fairly poor, the gameplay is far from groundbreaking.

But I'm having a lot of fun :D It's basically just the first Crackdown with a new lick of paint and a few new gameplay elements (jetpack, driving, Terry Crews). It's just a shame it's still a bit rough around the edges (like they've basically just abandoned the game 3/4 of the way through development).

this game was supposed to be released 5 years ago though. it was supposed to be a launch title on the xbox 1. so the fact it's been delayed 5 years was never a good sign. it looks whoever did most of the good work on crackdown 1 likely left the company and it never recovered from there. it was the same with driver. driver 2 was a mess and driver 3 was unplayable.

Soldato
OP
I completed this at the weekend and thought it was great fun. Its a game I couldn't put down and ended up doing a good 4 hours a day which is totally unlike me. Its a game I will end up replaying again in either coop or single player.

Back
Top Bottom