Crackdown 3

Soldato
this game was supposed to be released 5 years ago though. it was supposed to be a launch title on the xbox 1. so the fact it's been delayed 5 years was never a good sign. it looks whoever did most of the good work on crackdown 1 likely left the company and it never recovered from there. it was the same with driver. driver 2 was a mess and driver 3 was unplayable.

Crackdown 3 was never an Xbox One launch title. The first release date was "2016". It was then delayed, with plans to make it an Xbox One X launch title. Two more delays took it to February 2019.

The developer of Crackdown 1, Realtime World's, went bust in 2010 when "APB: All Points Bulletin" flopped.

I bet the development of Crackdown 3 is an interesting story, all the same. Six different studios worked on the game. One of those studios was Cloudgine, which was founded by the guy who started Realtime Worlds. Cloudgine was bought by Epic Games last year, so they missed most of the last year of development (which could explain, in part, why their cloud physics stuff seems to be half done).

Caporegime
Crackdown 3 was never an Xbox One launch title. The first release date was "2016". It was then delayed, with plans to make it an Xbox One X launch title. Two more delays took it to February 2019.

The developer of Crackdown 1, Realtime World's, went bust in 2010 when "APB: All Points Bulletin" flopped.

I bet the development of Crackdown 3 is an interesting story, all the same. Six different studios worked on the game. One of those studios was Cloudgine, which was founded by the guy who started Realtime Worlds. Cloudgine was bought by Epic Games last year, so they missed most of the last year of development (which could explain, in part, why their cloud physics stuff seems to be half done).

i'm sure it was when i bought mine i was told crackdown would be launching within a month or two. 2 years later it still hadn't come out and i decided that was enough time waiting and got rid of the console.

i thought as much. so the people who made crackdown 1 never really worked on the successors. so that is why they weren't as good.

Soldato
i'm sure it was when i bought mine i was told crackdown would be launching within a month or two. 2 years later it still hadn't come out and i decided that was enough time waiting and got rid of the console.

i thought as much. so the people who made crackdown 1 never really worked on the successors. so that is why they weren't as good.

Crackdown 3 was unveiled at E3 2014, 7 months after the Xbox One launched, with no release date given. The 2016 date came at Gamescom 2015, when they showed off the infamous pre-Alpha Wrecking Zone demo. Seems like it all went downhill from there.

David Jones (creator of Crackdown and GTA) appears to have been ultimately responsible for Crackdown 3. He ran both Reagent Games (the original lead developer) and Cloudgine. Bit of guesswork here, but it looks like Reagent couldn't cope, as later footage adds the logos for more and more studios. David Jones and a number of key programmers from Reagent Games took jobs with Epic last year, after the latter purchased Cloudgine. Shortly afterward, Reagent was closed down, and Sumo Digital were made lead developer, with the instruction to prepare Crackdown 3 for release.

So echos of APB, rather than Crackdown 1; David Jones bit off more than he could chew again, resulting in repeated delays and, ultimately, abandonment.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Crackdown 3 was unveiled at E3 2014, 7 months after the Xbox One launched, with no release date given. The 2016 date came at Gamescom 2015, when they showed off the infamous pre-Alpha Wrecking Zone demo. Seems like it all went downhill from there.

David Jones (creator of Crackdown and GTA) appears to have been ultimately responsible for Crackdown 3. He ran both Reagent Games (the original lead developer) and Cloudgine. Bit of guesswork here, but it looks like Reagent couldn't cope, as later footage adds the logos for more and more studios. David Jones and a number of key programmers from Reagent Games took jobs with Epic last year, after the latter purchased Cloudgine. Shortly afterward, Reagent was closed down, and Sumo Digital were made lead developer, with the instruction to prepare Crackdown 3 for release.

So echos of APB, rather than Crackdown 1; David Jones bit off more than he could chew again, resulting in repeated delays and, ultimately, abandonment.

the original was really good, basic in it's premise and probably not a lot of gameplay but something about it made it really fun to play. i suppose games like just cause and saint's row has plugged the gap somewhat.

i think there will be a developer in future that comes up with a new version of crackdown essentially under a different name. it's funny how games like this which were wanted by so many just couldn't be done properly. especially since the xbox one is meant to be far easier to code for than it's earlier consoles. i might pick this up on pc when it drops in price for cheap. i wouldn't pay full price for it now.

Associate
Trying this on the Game Pass, and get:

Faulting application name: Crackdown3.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d127ef0
Faulting module name: amdxc64.dll, version: 26.20.13001.9005, time stamp: 0x5d1df613
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000048f169
Faulting process ID: 0x454
Faulting application start time: 0x01d53ee4dd9cd37a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.48248D2C77101_1.0.3162.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Nimbus\Binaries\UWP64\Crackdown3.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0344440.inf_amd64_2bf5b151fb93d451\B344342\amdxc64.dll
Report ID: 10f61a7a-c844-4611-a4bb-5b9cd0960e53
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.48248D2C77101_1.0.3162.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: AppCrackdown3Campaign

anyone else get the same? Any ideas how to fix? I don't seem to have issues with any other games, just this one.

Tried reinstalling drivers and reinstalling the game....

Associate
After hours of tinkering and getting nowhere - I fixed it by taking the amdxc64.dll file from driver version 19.2.2 (which was the release just before Crackdown 3 released) and replacing the version in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0344440.inf_amd64_2bf5b151fb93d451\B344342\

Quite enjoying the game to be honest, but then again loved the original!

Soldato
Has anyone got the coop working on this?

I have been playing by my self and enjoying it, I thought it would be better with a friend but tried today and was met with crazy amounts of unplayable stutter.

Any ideas of a fix? I googled it and only solution I found was to run coop in 30fps and it worked but neither me or my friend like playing at 30fps.

Back
Top Bottom