Cupra feels sluggish

Caporegime
Finally sorted mine, re-seated the G31 I changed on Tuesday, used a bit of flange sealant this time, and lo and behold, BOOOOOST.

Logged actual against requested and its bang on what everyone elses "healthy" graphs look like :)

Associate
OP
My vagcom cable should have hopefully arrived at my house today.

Do any of you guys know how to test the MAF sensor with it?

Thanks

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

You should try cleaning your MAF sensor before anything else - use something like carb cleaning fluid. They are often just dirty and don't actually need replacing.

Associate
OP
You should try cleaning your MAF sensor before anything else - use something like carb cleaning fluid. They are often just dirty and don't actually need replacing.

When i unplugged it yesterday i did have a look to see if it was dirty but seemed clean to me. Could still try give it a clean i guess.

Associate
OP
I've explained that above - lol

:o Yes you have.

Will give it a go tomorrow, just got home from work and missed the parcel and post office closed now so will pick up tomorrow.

( |-| |2 ][ $ - It does pick up below but not as much as i would expect. My friends Audi A3 1.8T is 30bhp down and slower yet it picks up better and feels quicker than my cupra.

Soldato
ok - When you plug in your lead to your laptop and install the software / drivers, it may not work - as you may have to play with the COM Port settings etc..

Here is a tip - that got mine working:

Go to Device Manager, Check to see which COM port the interface has been assigned to, It needs to be on a FREE COM port from 1-4, If it is not, click on the DEVICE and select PORT SETTINGS/ADVANCED, Select the same COM PORT in VAG COM OPTIONS (1-4 NOT USB), Connect other end to car, Ignition ON, Press TEST and then SAVE,

Soldato
My vagcom cable should have hopefully arrived at my house today.

Do any of you guys know how to test the MAF sensor with it?

Thanks

Normally if your MAF is out, you should get a CEL, and TCS light

If you wanna clean it quickly poor some clean alcohol into a glass and put your MAF in it for a few mins.

You can also check its performance by logging blocks 2 and 3 with Vag com.

If you have XP you can use version 311...choose the correct com port, set baud rate at 9600 if i remember correctly, then do some runs with your car on ie 4th gear from say 2000 rpm all the way up to the limiter and post back...

Few months ago my MAF also died on me since the garage i took my car for service sprayed the whole engine with a cleaner-oil? no idea what they did since i send someone else to take my car to the garage and the vector cone filter got sprayed too...mafs do not like oil in the air filter...

anyways the MAF went off but the car still drove well without any probs...this is why i believe it might not be the maf in your case.

Last edited:
Soldato
VAGCOM sounds so cool. Makes me want a 1.8T :o

OT: Long time no see Brwmo! Since you had a 2.8 m0 under the prommy in fact :p

Soldato
VAGCOM sounds so cool. Makes me want a 1.8T :o

OT: Long time no see Brwmo! Since you had a 2.8 m0 under the prommy in fact :p

lol

last clock i did was the one in my sig :p

still got my gear, mk2gt needs repairing thought

Yes vag com is a nice diagnostics software...if you have a car pc you can have it running 24/7 too :p

Associate
OP
Well i got vagcom working and got 2 fault codes pop up which are interesting.

16486 P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circ Low input

and

17608 P1200 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction

Caporegime
That's your MAF (top error), and your N249 valve (uses a vacuum to draw the DV open).

The N249 is on top of the rocker cover, between the 3rd and 4th coil pack. It's not an expensive part either :)

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Just got back from a trip to AMD who replaced my MAF sensor and N75 valve and whilst i was waiting for those to be done i had a call from them saying my DV was also faulty so i got them to replace it with a Forge 007P which i was thinking of doing in the future anyway!

Car doesn't seem a lot quicker in lower revs but it does feel more urgent. Where i feel the difference the most is the higher revs. It keeps on going now whereas it would really drop off early before. Have not had a chance to drive it too much but will give it a good go later.

Happy with the results and would like to thank you all for the help :)

Now tempted to take it to Revo for a remap but cant really afford it right now.

Back
Top Bottom