• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cyberpunk 2077 Ultra performance

Man of Honour
Here they talk about how unplayable CP is on the 3070, how bad the WDL runs, is in another topic. :)

Runs fine on my 3070FE - well for about 2 hours then after 2 hours I lose precisely 20 FPS, the CPU is sitting there with all cores at 50% utilisation and it feels laggy as ****, no sign of any memory leak but acts like there is one - works fine again after restarting the game. For a lot of people it seems to crash at this point but so far hasn't for me.

For some people that seems to be the normal performance though :( someone else with a 3070 and 9700K with the same settings as me - just gets that all the time ~45 FPS (where I have 60-70 FPS) and is laggy with all their cores sitting at 50% utilisation constantly no matter what is going on in game.

Seems to be something seriously messed up with the CPU utilisation under the hood somewhere.

Last edited:
Associate
Runs fine on my 3070FE - well for about 2 hours then after 2 hours I lose precisely 20 FPS, the CPU is sitting there with all cores at 50% utilisation and it feels laggy as ****, no sign of any memory leak but acts like there is one. For a lot of people it seems to crash at this point but so far hasn't for me.

For some people that seems to be the normal performance though :( someone else with a 3070 and 9700K with the same settings as me - just gets that all the time ~45 FPS (where I have 60-70 FPS) and is laggy with all their cores sitting at 50% utilisation constantly no matter what is going on in game.

Seems to be something seriously messed up with the CPU utilisation under the hood somewhere.
Hmmm, I have seen the 9700k mentioned a fair bit with regards to poor performance. I have the 9700k running at 5 Ghz, 32 gig of 3600 ram a tuf 3080 OC and I have not managed to turn Ray tracing on without a massive performance hike, no matter what setting of RT, any amount of dlss, all settings from low to ultra... Nada. 30 fps. Turn RT off... 4k dlss on quality and ultra preset I'm getting a locked 60 fps. I'm really confused considering a 3080 should play nice with dlss on. Really annoying, mind you the game still looks incredible with hdr on and ultra settings.

Man of Honour
Hmmm, I have seen the 9700k mentioned a fair bit with regards to poor performance. I have the 9700k running at 5 Ghz, 32 gig of 3600 ram a tuf 3080 OC and I have not managed to turn Ray tracing on without a massive performance hike, no matter what setting of RT, any amount of dlss, all settings from low to ultra... Nada. 30 fps. Turn RT off... 4k dlss on quality and ultra preset I'm getting a locked 60 fps. I'm really confused considering a 3080 should play nice with dlss on. Really annoying, mind you the game still looks incredible with hdr on and ultra settings.

I get a feeling it was developed and optimised on older CPUs - my Xeon 1650 V2 (6 core 12 thread - 2011 era) seems to run it much better than many people are reporting on far newer CPUs and I've seen people with 3770K, 4790K, etc. saying it runs fine for them whereas other people with 7000 series or newer Intel or AMD Ryzen are having all kinds of issues.

It also seems the game loves RAM bandwidth - which again is a strength of the platform I'm on with its quad channel setup.

Soldato
After watching Jim Sterling I take what they say with a grain of salt. IE: Independently verified.

Jim makes Karl Marx look far right these days though... he's gone a bit looney, especially this year - I think the lockdown's gotten to him with only twitterati folk to interact with. I don't doubt CP2077 has done at least 10mil net, I don't even think the refunds are anywhere near as much as the media would have you believe - we all know they just deal in outrage and try to blow everything way out of proportion.

Associate
I get a feeling it was developed and optimised on older CPUs - my Xeon 1650 V2 (6 core 12 thread - 2011 era) seems to run it much better than many people are reporting on far newer CPUs and I've seen people with 3770K, 4790K, etc. saying it runs fine for them whereas other people with 7000 series or newer Intel or AMD Ryzen are having all kinds of issues.

It also seems the game loves RAM bandwidth - which again is a strength of the platform I'm on with its quad channel setup.
Interesting stuff, well let's hope they realise this and pop a fix in the works. I seem to remember Rdr2 having a similar problem when it was first released and that's now fabulous to play.. Cheers mate.

Associate
Runs fine on my 3070FE - well for about 2 hours then after 2 hours I lose precisely 20 FPS, the CPU is sitting there with all cores at 50% utilisation and it feels laggy as ****, no sign of any memory leak but acts like there is one - works fine again after restarting the game.
I read yesterday on r/AMD and there were many people with different hardware saying that they lost FPS after a while and a restart fixed that so it is not something particular to the 3070 or Intel.

Man of Honour
I read yesterday on r/AMD and there were many people with different hardware saying that they lost FPS after a while and a restart fixed that so it is not something particular to the 3070 or Intel.

A lot of people have the game crash at that point and others see a memory leak so it is a bit weird. But so far no crash or signs of a memory leak. Worse case the game is using 10GB of RAM and 7.3GB VRAM - though possible it needs more than 8GB VRAM at that point but is using some kind of asset management system to keep it below a fixed max percentage of VRAM but performance falls apart due to the swapping.

Associate
HDR definitely isn't working properly on my setup - compared to other HDR content mid-tones like he says are washed out, black looks wrong and highlights lack punch. It looks to me like SDR with some gamma fudging.

I've tried a range of different settings and 2 different screens including the Philips 436M6.

I've tried playing in SDR but it just looks a lot worse. There is one scene in a mission where you're facing a window, and the inside of the room is just so dark, you can't discern any detail from the furniture. It looks better with HDR, though not perfect.
Maybe I like it when everything is visible and I am not running around in pitch black environments, so I am content with what HDTV Test criticises as 'blurry' or 'washed out'...

Back
Top Bottom