*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Soldato
Apologies if this has already been posted, but the leaked pre-alpha footage is interesting...

Thanks for the youtube link. Found this part a bit interesting in the video, around the 20 minutes mark. ** Cyberpunk 2077 (C) 2012-2022 by CD Project RED ** - So can clearly see devs had a total different timeline in mind then the stockholders/managment had. To bad, might been a totally different game if they waited to 2022. Ahh well, guess we see what else, if anything, they do about it. Only time will tell. :cool:

Soldato
Having fun so far at 15h in, TBH.

It's a weird game. Somewhat janky and technically unrefined with some glaring flaws and stupid immersion-breaking glitches, where none of the gameplay elements really rise above mediocre but it's still pretty enjoyable and somehow better than the sum of its parts.

A lot of it comes down to the design of the city and the atmosphere, also the gigs are solid and keep me interested so far. It's not much of an RPG, more a looter shooter and the main story hasn't blown me away yet but I can't say it's terrible. I'm pretty sure it has its moments. The game also relies a lot on your phone, virtually everything happens through your phone, it's both somewhat annoying and makes you feel disconnected from the city and its affairs IMO. I'm just driving around answering constant calls and being and errand boy for people I rarely get to meet. Hacking is simple but quite addictive and adds something more to the shooting and poor stealth, that's a plus.

Just one more complaint regarding gameplay, even though it's not GTA, it'd be nice if the driving model was better. It's a stupid excuse IMO, "it's an RPG so the driving model doesn't matter, it just so happens that 90% of traversal is done using cars and bikes but so what":p At least they improved it a bit and I hope they'll continue tweaking it.

The city itself is a dream come true for me, without it I wouldn't bother. I read shards and just look at stuff and it's fun. I just wish it was a tiny bit more interactive, random events, conversations, some enterable buildings scattered about (obviously the city is way too big to have too many of them but still). I guess hoping for any sort of basic AI and police response would be too much. A wonderful setting, all in all.

Overall, I'm starting to enjoy it for what it is, and more than the above impressions would indicate. Don't regret getting it.

The only problem is I will indeed have to get a new CPU to get solid 60fps as the dips in certain places are annoying AF. It's the first game that I played that really pushed my old 4790k, wonder how much of that is optimisation but what can you do. I might take a break and get a 5600x or something soonish.

Soldato
Thanks for the youtube link. Found this part a bit interesting in the video, around the 20 minutes mark. ** Cyberpunk 2077 (C) 2012-2022 by CD Project RED ** - So can clearly see devs had a total different timeline in mind then the stockholders/managment had.
This likely doesn't mean what you think it means. Much more likely is that this encompasses planned development of the DLCs and expansions, and possibly the multiplayer before it got scrapped. Or it may be a license thing, showing how long they have the Cyberpunk license.

Man of Honour
The city itself is a dream come true for me, without it I wouldn't bother. I read shards and just look at stuff and it's fun. I just wish it was a tiny bit more interactive, random events, conversations, some enterable buildings scattered about (obviously the city is way too big to have too many of them but still). I guess hoping for any sort of basic AI and police response would be too much. A wonderful setting, all in all.

Sucks they never fleshed out a lot of stuff - there are hints here and there of undercurrents of linked events which I suspect where supposed to be much more and interactive but ended up never finished, etc.

There are some quite compelling bits of the game, even just simple stuff like the Pacifica ambiance, but overall it just leaves you feeling how shallow it is.

I don't think the game deserved this but I'm not sure they could have ever pulled off the vision of what the game was supposed to be either.

Soldato
Sucks they never fleshed out a lot of stuff - there are hints here and there of undercurrents of linked events which I suspect where supposed to be much more and interactive but ended up never finished, etc.

There are some quite compelling bits of the game, even just simple stuff like the Pacifica ambiance, but overall it just leaves you feeling how shallow it is.

I don't think the game deserved this but I'm not sure they could have ever pulled off the vision of what the game was supposed to be either.

Yeah, I agree, the city is visually stunning buy you can feel it's all been stitched together hastily.

However, this only proves how much a good setting can save a game, even if said setting isn't fully realised.

I don't think they could've pulled off the original vision. They basically sold us a dream instead of a game. They spent so much time hyping it up and making all those bold claims that it was bound to disappoint. I never believed what they said about AI, routines and the most believable city but, on the other hand, I didn't expect the AI and systems to be this limited. They just brought W3 systems into a city setting and in that game it didn't stick out so much but here it does.

I won't make comparisons to RDR because animal behaviour alone crushes the entire CP AI, the rest is just too far above too compare.

It's an enjoyable story-driven action game with RPG elements whose enjoyment hinges on the brilliant setting and whether you like the story and characters. That's all I'm getting after around 20h and it's perfectly fine.

It definitely has the best looking futuristic city ever but all the rest has been done better by many games before, even those from which CP borrows its ideas.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You're missing out
Yep. I would agree. I do not think that price is the issue here.

That said if one feels that way and waited this long then might as well wait for a GOTY version in 3-4 years time with all the expansions and as many bugs crushes as possible. But yeah as I said earlier I got more than £35 value out of the game when I played it on release. Even though it was not as good as expected.

Associate
Just one more complaint regarding gameplay, even though it's not GTA, it'd be nice if the driving model was better. It's a stupid excuse IMO, "it's an RPG so the driving model doesn't matter, it just so happens that 90% of traversal is done using cars and bikes but so what":p At least they improved it a bit and I hope they'll continue tweaking it.

Get yourself the Yaiba Kusanagi and forget about all the other vehicles - that bike and Jackie's Arch have the best handling IMO but the Kusanagi CT-3X is faster than Jackie's bike. I actually really enjoy using the motorcycles but the only car that feels fun to drive is the Quadra V-Tech (you'll still crash it all the time though).

Still, even a nice bike can't compensate for the stupidly zoomed-in map :rolleyes:

Soldato
Get yourself the Yaiba Kusanagi and forget about all the other vehicles - that bike and Jackie's Arch have the best handling IMO but the Kusanagi CT-3X is faster than Jackie's bike.

I'm actually using Jackie's bike now, and some random cars. Will check the Kusanagi later on, cheers.

Soldato
I won't make comparisons to RDR because animal behaviour alone crushes the entire CP AI, the rest is just too far above too compare.
Every game has its own focus. RDR2 (which is in my TOP3 of all time) has awesome open world AI, but on the other hand its missions are 100% tightly scripted where stopping a horse in a wrong place can result in game over and reload. There is zero agency in them.
Cyberpunk's pedestrian AI is...well, pedestrian, but on the other hand its missions are much more open ended in both gameplay and narrative.

What I absolutely love about Cyberpunk is how it has consistently unbroken first person across 100+ hours while providing quality of animation and asset work that rivals 20 hour linear games. It felt like an immersive first person movie (meaning the cinematic quality, not that it's linear).

And regarding driving, with a controller I enjoyed it a lot. Bikes and some of the cars (especially the Porsche).

Soldato
Get yourself the Yaiba Kusanagi and forget about all the other vehicles - that bike and Jackie's Arch have the best handling IMO but the Kusanagi CT-3X is faster than Jackie's bike. I actually really enjoy using the motorcycles but the only car that feels fun to drive is the Quadra V-Tech (you'll still crash it all the time though).

Still, even a nice bike can't compensate for the stupidly zoomed-in map :rolleyes:

I found the bike handling to be terrible, couldn't gel with it at all. It was all about the Javelina for me :D

Soldato
Every game has its own focus. RDR2 (which is in my TOP3 of all time) has awesome open world AI, but on the other hand its missions are 100% tightly scripted where stopping a horse in a wrong place can result in game over and reload. There is zero agency in them.
Cyberpunk's pedestrian AI is...well, pedestrian, but on the other hand its missions are much more open ended in both gameplay and narrative.

What I absolutely love about Cyberpunk is how it has consistently unbroken first person across 100+ hours while providing quality of animation and asset work that rivals 20 hour linear games. It felt like an immersive first person movie (meaning the cinematic quality, not that it's linear).

And regarding driving, with a controller I enjoyed it a lot. Bikes and some of the cars (especially the Porsche).

Yeah, I understand, I actually think the game has quite a few merits and the cinematic bits are very well done. I'm also enjoying the side content.

It's just that RDR2 is extremely polished even in normal gameplay which I don't find CP to be to that sort of a level.

As for the choices/consequences, I can't say there are that many significant ones so far, seems that very few have serious long-term consequences and from what I hear very few affect the actual ending. Most of the time, I seem to be handheld to the correct dialogue choice. I wouldn't expect agency in RDR but I do expect it here and to a quite a big extent. I remember that in Outer Worlds I could even persuade the final boss to not fight me because my stats were high enough and I steered the conversation the right way. Similarly, Deus Ex allowed me for more choices and rolled with them IIRC.

Regardless of that, this is a fun game.

The driving, though, I find mediocre even on pad but it doesn't ruin the game for me.

Soldato
It's just that RDR2 is extremely polished even in normal gameplay which I don't find CP to be to that sort of a level.
Yes, RDR2 was insanely polished for its size. That's what happens when you have 7 years of devtime and 1500 people on team, plus willingness to delay as long as needed.
CDP made some giant mistakes in trying to make a game at that level in 4 years with 500 people and 9 different platforms at the same time. They should have taken more time + chuck the lastgen version into the dustbin of history. Witcher 3 was made for (back then) current gen only, with Cyberpunk instead of repeating that they tried to chase all the platforms and paid dearly.
As for the choices/consequences, I can't say there are that many significant ones so far, seems that very few have serious long-term consequences and from what I hear very few affect the actual ending. Most of the time, I seem to be handheld to the correct dialogue choice.

Most bigger sidequests have multiple possible outcomes (not to mention playstyles). Some endings are only available contingent on player actions. One ending requires certain longterm behavior through the game.

Man of Honour
Get yourself the Yaiba Kusanagi and forget about all the other vehicles - that bike and Jackie's Arch have the best handling IMO but the Kusanagi CT-3X is faster than Jackie's bike.

Did you find the extra speed very useful? You never need to escape anything. You never need to drive/ride anywhere in a limited amount of time.

I actually really enjoy using the motorcycles but the only car that feels fun to drive is the Quadra V-Tech (you'll still crash it all the time though).

The car I used for the few missions that require a car was the junkmobile that I started with. It amused me to be a wealthy high profile merc wearing and carrying hundreds of thousands of eddies of kit and picking up customers in such a crappy car. I used Silverhand's Porsche for one mission with Rogue as it seemed appropriate. Other than that, I used the Quadra V-Tech to try to jump the canyon where you do the special funeral (you can't, not in anything). I found bikes so much better, especially in the city and offroad (i.e. almost everywhere), especially once I properly realised that any idea of realism in vehicle handling in the game had been set on fire and thrown out the window. Bang down the road, slam on the brakes and turn simultaneously, slam on the acceleration as soon as you're pointing in the right direction, leap off the bike at full speed to shoot some baddies. You can only crash if you hit something head on at speed and even if you do crash you can't hurt yourself.

There's a mod for that. Probably several. Even with the very restricted modding in CP2077, modders still manage to fix the stuff that should never have been a problem in the first place.

The default minimap is also an argument against faster vehicles because the faster you're going the greater the distance by which you'll overshoot the turning that the minimap showed you half a second before you reached it :)

Back
Top Bottom