*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Soldato
CPU bottleneck (unlikely as I'm using a 3700X
That is absolutely, 100% CPU bottleneck. non5 Ryzens are fairly weak on per-core performance and the new AI routines plus the new raytraced local shadows both increased CPU requirements. Consoles have the same Ryzen and are also dropping below 60 in the most populated areas.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Oh so this update is needing the new drivers?

No.

What I mean is - I have not updated for a few Geforce driver versions but the thing to check would be the DLSS version you have - as that may make some difference. I did not own the game till recent so would not have remembered if a previous driver release also stated it improved CP performance. Each patch would have improved something I just not trawled over the logs.

Associate
That is absolutely, 100% CPU bottleneck. non5 Ryzens are fairly weak on per-core performance and the new AI routines plus the new raytraced local shadows both increased CPU requirements. Consoles have the same Ryzen and are also dropping below 60 in the most populated areas.

You think? In the areas with the biggest frame drops (<45fps) overall CPU utilization is only 48% - even with SMT off the most utilization I get is around 80%..? Interestingly, in those areas, GPU usage actually dips from 98% to around 80% (running without a framecap/VSync). VRAM usage is about 7.8GB.

*Edit* Hmm... on further investigation this could be a VRAM issue - I managed to get the VRAM usage over 7.9GB just driving around Night City with the textures set to low - that doesn't seem right..?

Last edited:
Soldato
can you see anything in windows event viewer, driver crashes etc?

@SkScotchegg Have you checked the windows event viewer after it crashes?

I've just checked the windows event viewer after trying Cyberpunk again and even after it crashes to desktop/flatlines there's no error messages at all in the event viewer.

EDIT:

I just cut this from the reddit megathread for Cybperunk 1.5:

Can't launch the game. Launched the game fine on old patch, closed, updated, can no longer launch it at all. RTX 3080 Ti and 3600x installed on an NVME M.2 SSD. I d not have Nahimic, A-volute, or Sound Studio anywhere on my system and checked services repeatedly, they are not there let alone running. Tried disabling realtek audio devices in device manager, no change. Tried disabling ALL audio devices and unplugging them all. No change. Seems there's another issue going on. Such a shame, I just installed this 3080 Ti upgraded from a 1080 and wanted to try the raytracing and DLSS for the first time.

This poor fella is in the same situation as me bless him!

And I've seen loads of other people on there and other forums online saying the exact same thing.

It sucks so much not to be able to play as I really do love Cyberpunk, I've been a massive fan since day 1 and I was really looking forward to my second play through.

To me, Cyberpunk is the best game since Half Life 2. I love everything about it, I wish there was more to do in the world and I wish the AI was better for NPC's and Police but I still love the game regardless because I love the main story and I love playing as V. I Also love the weapons and the hacking etc.

What's scary though is on that megathread everyone is saying even if you can get into the game that almost every aspect of the game is broken after patch 1.5. I really can't believe CD Project RED rushing out this patch without testing it first lol, it's just crazy. I really wish they would just leave the game alone unless they have a patch that actually helps improve things.

EDIT: If I had to say which patch was the most stable I think it was 1.3 or maybe the before that?

It's just up until 1.3 I had great performance and ray tracing worked without crashing. The game worked fine for almost a year. Then after patch 1.31 with ray tracing enabled it would crash to desktop after 10 minutes. And my FPS was worse too.

I thought fine, I'll play without ray tracing (even though that sucked because the game looks 10x better with ray tracing on in my opinion) so I carried on playing regardless of this.

Then I install patch 1.5 and now the game doesn't launch at all. I really wish I could roll back to patch 1.3.

I've even tried running the exe from the install folder. Still doesn't work.

I wish I'd bought my game on GOG now because apparently you can roll back drivers on GOG where as Steam doesn't allow you to do this.

Do you guys know if there's anyway I can reinstall the base game again on Steam up to patch 1.3 by any chance?

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah that sucks. Only other things can think of is to try random stuff. Can you swap PCIE ports, maybe try some bios settings like lower pcie from 4 to 3. Check for gpu/mobo bios updates etc. Otherwise maybe a reinstall...

Soldato
You think? In the areas with the biggest frame drops (<45fps) overall CPU utilization is only 48% - even with SMT off the most utilization I get is around 80%..? Interestingly, in those areas, GPU usage actually dips from 98% to around 80% (running without a framecap/VSync). VRAM usage is about 7.8GB.
CPU utilization is worthless metric. Games are never using 100% of the CPU because they are multithreaded and can never be optimized that way. Basically if you see drop in frames together with GPU utilization going down, you are CPU bottlenecked. It is what it is.

You would see much higher framerate in those locations with 5 ryzen or latest intels.

Do you guys know if there's anyway I can reinstall the base game again on Steam up to patch 1.3 by any chance?

Not possible I think. But you should contact CDP support. The issue sounds super bizzare.
On my end, game works exactly as it did in every previous patch, just better.

Soldato
Not possible I think. But you should contact CDP support. The issue sounds super bizzare.
On my end, game works exactly as it did in every previous patch, just better.

Oh mate, don't rub it in! haha, i'm super jelous here!! :p

Ok good idea, I'll contact support and see what they say. I just can't understand how this is possible.

EDIT: What GPU and what specs do you have btw?
And are you on windows 10 or 11?
And what kind of sound setup do you use? Nvidia over HDMI or just your motherboards realtek sound?

I've not tried reinstalling yet but on the reddit megathread others have tried that and they all say it makes no difference.

I might just try that anyways though just on the off chance.

Part of me thinks it's something to do with Nvidia drivers with the new 1.5 patch. Like because I use sound from HDMI form GPU to AV Receiver.

But I've had that sound setup for years and never had issues with any games.

I've been playing Metro Exodus and Battlefield 2042 today and everything is running sweet.

I'm not letting this situation stress me out, i'm sure i'll find a way eventually. But I have to admit, this is the only game I want to play right now on PC.

In the mean time I'm still playing through The Last of Us 2 on PS4 so that's keeping me busy for now.

Soldato

Ok good idea, I'll contact support and see what they say. I just can't understand how this is possible.

And what kind of sound setup do you use? Nvidia over HDMI or just your motherboards realtek sound?

I've not tried reinstalling yet but on the reddit megathread others have tried that and they all say it makes no difference.

Part of me thinks it's something to do with Nvidia drivers with the new 1.5 patch. Like because I use sound from HDMI form GPU to AV Receiver.

I've been playing Metro Exodus and Battlefield 2042 today and everything is running sweet.

I'm not letting this situation stress me out, i'm sure i'll find a way eventually. But I have to admit, this is the only game I want to play right now on PC.

In the mean time I'm still playing through The Last of Us 2 on PS4 so that's keeping me busy for now.

Just for reference, it's all working good on my system as well, with the 1.5 patch.

Still getting 60+ FPPS at 3440x1440, everything maxed to psycho (lol) with DLSS on balanced.

Win 11, 12700K/3080Ti. mobo realtek sound.

Soldato
I have 2080Ti with latest drivers, Windows 10, using integrated audio (I do not even install the nvidia audio driver).

Soldato
So I was going to ask if the game is finally fixed and whether it makes sense to buy it (since it is on sale now 50%) but reading this page I can see people are still having issue to even launch the game. So I gather better to wait another year until the game is in a good state?

Soldato
So I was going to ask if the game is finally fixed and whether it makes sense to buy it (since it is on sale now 50%) but reading this page I can see people are still having issue to even launch the game. So I gather better to wait another year until the game is in a good state?
If you don't mind a keysite CDKeys has the game for £14, although it be on GOG .. but for that price it is worth it in my opinion, even if it still might be some bugs around. But as Buffallo said above, he and others having no problem with the game (I have not played it since it was released so can not say myself, but then i had no problem with it although have not completed it yet). Or wait and it might end up a tad cheaper in the future.

Soldato

Away from one of my rigs which is not really used for gaming anymore, but when I did try it, did not notice any issues with patch 1.5. I also use the GPU for audio. Displayport to Monitor, HDMI from the GPU to my AVR for 5.1 surround sound and it worked okay. Using a slightly older Driver but will check.

Honestly, for me its been fine for a long time now. As its on steam I assume when you mean 50% off, can just try it and if no ball on your rig, refund before 2 hours up. Go copro route so your right in the city / taxing areas to see how it goes.

Associate

*Edit* Hmm... on further investigation this could be a VRAM issue - I managed to get the VRAM usage over 7.9GB just driving around Night City with the textures set to low - that doesn't seem right..?
Cyberpunk made me go from a 2600x to a 3800xt which still bottlenecked a 3060ti, so in the end I went for 5800x which is great with a 3080 but still bottlenecks in the market with all those NPCs.
Sprinting through there drops the framerate below 60.
Easiest way to see a CPU bottleneck is check GPU usage with something like GPU-Z. If your GPU usage is below 99% its a CPU bottleneck.

Associate
Basically if you see drop in frames together with GPU utilization going down, you are CPU bottlenecked. It is what it is.

You would see much higher framerate in those locations with 5 ryzen or latest intels.

Cyberpunk made me go from a 2600x to a 3800xt which still bottlenecked a 3060ti, so in the end I went for 5800x which is great with a 3080 but still bottlenecks in the market with all those NPCs.

Ok, I decided to put this to the test and picked up a 5600X and some DDR4 3600 CL16 RAM for my AM4 board - the results were... interesting.

Honestly, for Cyberpunk, the improvements over the 3700X (with DDR4 3200) were minimal - yes, I'm no longer getting the occasional GPU drops I was getting with the 3700X but neither am I getting significantly better performance - the lows are maybe 10% better with my average framerates approximately 3% better - based on this, I think the 3700X is scraping by as the bare minimum to run Cyberpunk relatively unimpeded on an RTX 3070 (so it makes sense that a 3080 would need something more powerful to get the best out of it).

^Keeping an eye on your situation as you basically have the same specs as me.

My recommendation for Cyberpunk is that if you have a 3070/Ti, the gains from moving to a 5xxx series probably aren't worth the cost. If you want to run it in all its glory at 1440p, it's better to run it at a locked 50 fps - you'll get some very occasional frame dips but for the most part the experience is excellent.

However, for other games, this may not be the case - for Dying Light 2 I've seen a *massive* uplift in performance with the 5600X - with the 3700X I was able to enable RT Lighting, Shadows and AO with DLSS to get a mostly 60fps 1440p experience (with some settings like motion blur and fog dialled down). With the 5600X I was amazed to see that I could run DL2 at its highest settings with all raytracing on (including reflections) with DLSS at a silky-smooth 60fps at 1440p.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Back
Top Bottom