Cycle RAGE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I've been ridding bikes until i took my drivers license at 1½ years ago at the age of 32, late i know. What i don't understand is how absolutely crazy many cyklists are on the road. They don't show hands when they stop or turn. They cross the roads in the middle of day during busy hours like its a pedestrian walkover. Its mental really which is why I hate driving in the cities. You should be required to take a small bike license where the rules are hammered into your head the same way they were when i took my drivers license and the penalties for breaking the rules as a cyklist should be higher (i'm from Denmark so this is my reference). Btw to the muppets who is driving while on the phone and not using handfree kits.. shame on you!

Why would you think it would make any difference whether a cyclist has a licence or not? Do drivers not break the law constantly, because I certainly see them breaking the law all the time and seemingly people that drive seem to not bother indicating these days either

Soldato
I'm a daily cyclist and I agree except for the higher fines, should be the same.

I'd like to know why driving instructors don't hammer stuff into new drivers heads.
A recent conversation with my Nephew who just passed his test:

What did you learn about cyclists on the road?
Nothing
So no extra bit of lessons were devoted to cyclists?
No
What do you think of cyclists baring in mind I'm one?
You shouldn't be on the road
Why?
because roads should be for motor cars and lorries and you don't pay road tax

Oh, here we go ............................................... :(

Why do even young kids think Road Tax exists?

My instructor was very detailed and firm in regards to driving near cyclists. I personally don't mind them on the road as long as they are not unpredictable. Sadly a lot of them are.

Why would you think it would make any difference whether a cyclist has a licence or not? Do drivers not break the law constantly, because I certainly see them breaking the law all the time and seemingly people that drive seem to not bother indicating these days either

It is absolutely true that drivers break the rules all the time. But from my own experience its affecting me the same way that a unpredictable cyclist is. If you had to learn the rules of the road as a cyclist the same way you need to as a driver of a car maybe we would have fewer kamikazy cyclist. Even if it prevents 1 in 10 of the accidents i personally believe it to be worth it and it certainly doesnt have to be as extensive as taking a drivers license nor as expensive.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What i don't understand is how absolutely crazy many cyklists are on the road. They don't show hands when they stop or turn. They cross the roads in the middle of day during busy hours like its a pedestrian walkover. Its mental really which is why I hate driving in the cities. You should be required to take a small bike license where the rules are hammered into your head the same way they were when i took my drivers license and the penalties for breaking the rules as a cyklist should be higher (i'm from Denmark so this is my reference).

9 out of 10 of the cyclists I've encountered lately have used hand signals when turning - the roads I frequent the larger number tend to be fully kitted out with higher end bikes and so on and mostly seem to take it seriously.

Little confused about one the other day though - he was waiting to come out of a side road onto a fast steep downhill around a bend dual carriageway and giving most of the drivers as they went past a thumbs up not sure if it was sarcastic thinking they should have pulled into lane two to let him out, a response to those that made eye contact noticing he was there or just being friendly - not a great place for either pulling across to let him out or being friendly though due to the demands of driving that section.

Man of Honour
If you had to learn the rules of the road as a cyclist the same way you need to as a driver of a car maybe we would have fewer kamikazy cyclist. Even if it prevents 1 in 10 of the accidents i personally believe it to be worth it and it certainly doesnt have to be as extensive as taking a drivers license nor as expensive.

but don't 9/10 kamikaze cyclists also have a car?

I must admit that until I saw the Cyclist programme I thought people were exaggerating about Sunday lycra clad cyclists hogging up the roads and that would pee me off if I was driving.
Also London is a different animal and I suppose I get why cyclists become kamikaze but I'd also as a driver be completely pee'd off with them making their own rules up.
I suppose in Stoke we don't have this problem, while out driving I may never see a cyclist and when cycle commuting I may never see a fellow cyclist.

Man of Honour
I thought people were exaggerating about Sunday lycra clad cyclists hogging up the roads and that would pee me off if I was driving.

Usually I wouldn't complain about it most days it is like the odd 1-2 cyclists - but when I posted before I'd just done this kind of thing (in some cases having to wait in line at 10mph until 5-6 cars had found chances to pass) no less than 6 times in 12 miles while driving a reasonably large vehicle and it was getting a bit much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3UqU2ns6M

But also several not great situations where people were either just brushing past the cyclist or overtaking on corners into oncoming traffic, etc.

Can't be bothered/it isn't very interesting to pull all the instances but quick screenshot of another one further along to show I'm not just making it up heh:

0RQxh9h.png

Soldato
^I don't get what you're posting about.
The video just shows a single cyclist doing nothing wrong (apart from being alive in the eyes of drivers of course), and you waiting to correctly pass him. Am I missing something?

Soldato
I'd call that cyclist video out, shows no awareness/shoulder-glances to the proximity of cars , or being really courteous waving past when the overtake was possible,
I usually just raise a right hand ...
Edit: no bright jacket/top either

The cyclist I see making hand signals usually don't look first ... indeed encountered a group of teenagers in fluo jackets being trained yesterday - cambridge east -
and they were showing just that behaviour ... just *maybe* they had not yet got the confidence to look behind them

the earlier video with the escooter ... looks like the wild west in whatever country it was shot - legistlation needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
^You are kidding right?!

Shows not awareness?! What's he supposed to do?! It's much easier/better to just let the cyclist just get on with it, and the driver work out when it's safe to overtake. If he signals to say 'you can pass' and there's some idiot in a car dithering about, he could make a right mess if it, and low and behold it's the cyclists fault for telling them to pass.

And the point I keep making in all situation like this, how long was that driver held up for? Is it really the end of the world that his journey took an extra minute at most?

Soldato
^You are kidding right?!
no those are my standards ..
usually look at drivers as they approach from behind .. you usually know whether a driver is a ditherer.

the get on with it approach .. is ok if cyclist is alone on country track .. but a blinkered approach on a road is stupid there are other road users ... maybe the guy is not a driver.

Man of Honour

I can't see anything wrong with that video, cyclist is keeping over to the left and it is up to you to get past him.
This just shows the major problem with motorists v cyclists, nothing is really happening but motorists make a mountain out of it.
I was talking about the hoards of cyclists taking over all the road like they were showing in the Cyclist documentary, I never knew that happened.

Soldato
I agree. What difference will glancing over his shoulder make in that situation?

As a beginner, I have a wing mirror and I like to know what's behind me, but it only changes how I ride if I'm with a friend and we're side by side. I see someone coming and I'll go single file.

Soldato
so, as a motorist, a glance makes no difference you ? (or, brighter clothing .... ?)
my cycling experience is that, if you glance(when hes 50m back), will usually get a more disciplined and wider berth on an overtake, and bright clothing helps too,
both of these benefits may come because some motorists, incorrectly, categorises you as a novice.
- as a motorist, with a glance I knows there is an alert cyclist not a sack of potatoes with headphones, and I then have more respect/empathy - any 'nudge' you can give a motorist helps your outcome prospects.

If there's also an oncoming car, when I glance, I may adjust road positioning if there is not room for 3 abreast, or looking down road the surface is poor, where we would otherwise meet.

Soldato
I'd call that cyclist video out, shows no awareness/shoulder-glances to the proximity of cars , or being really courteous waving past when the overtake was possible,
I usually just raise a right hand ...
Edit: no bright jacket/top either

That cyclist was spot on.

I'd rather the cyclist held a steady line/speed and allowed me to pick an overtaking opportunity, if he was glancing over his shoulder wobbling more and trying to wave me past that would actually be a far riskier situation for many reasons.

I've seen Sunday racers out doing as you suggest, they are the worst offenders in most cases, harder to pass, all over the road, erratic, etc..

Soldato
Cyclists are getting out of hand, you can't walk anywhere now without some cretin speeding past in pedestrianised areas inc pavements, precincts, parks etc. weaving in and out of children, dogs etc. I'm quite deaf so cannot hear anyone approaching from behind and it's made me very wary now after having my shopping knocked bag knocked on the floor by an adult cyclist who sped off regardless.

Our local MP will be raising it in parliament to make cyclists accountable for their actions with fines for entering pedestrianised areas without dismounting.

Soldato
so, as a motorist, a glance makes no difference you ? (or, brighter clothing .... ?)
my cycling experience is that, if you glance(when hes 50m back), will usually get a more disciplined and wider berth on an overtake, and bright clothing helps too,
both of these benefits may come because some motorists, incorrectly, categorises you as a novice.
- as a motorist, with a glance I knows there is an alert cyclist not a sack of potatoes with headphones, and I then have more respect/empathy - any 'nudge' you can give a motorist helps your outcome prospects.

If there's also an oncoming car, when I glance, I may adjust road positioning if there is not room for 3 abreast, or looking down road the surface is poor, where we would otherwise meet.

My quite extensive experience would say that a glance would make no difference whatsoever. I regularly ride on roads (with headphones if I'm commuting) and it'll make no difference if I look around to see the car. I do often try to make an effort to get out of the way if there's a HGV or similar behind, as obviously they have a tough job at overtaking.
I generally find 99% of drivers are incredibly patient and pass respectfully.
The issues come with idiots (usually in posh 4x4s) who have issues with us riding two abreast. They can't seem to grasp that it's far safer for us, the cyclists, and actually for them too (as it prevents them from trying to squeeze past and cause incidents with oncoming traffic)

Soldato

Nope. Tbh, logic would suggest the opposite too. I know it does when I'm on the motorbike around someone riding a scooter badly for example (or just a bad, unaware driver) I give them much more space and be much more aware of them.

I'd rather the cyclist held a steady line/speed and allowed me to pick an overtaking opportunity, if he was glancing over his shoulder wobbling more and trying to wave me past that would actually be a far riskier situation for many reasons.

Maybe because I'm relatively new, but I know I don't cycle as steady if I'm looking round or doing things one hanged. I wait until there are no cars about before drinking for example.

Cyclists are getting out of hand, you can't walk anywhere now without some cretin speeding past in pedestrianised areas inc pavements, precincts, parks etc. weaving in and out of children, dogs etc.

Sorry, but those aren't cyclists. They're people (idiots) on bicycles...

Soldato
Maybe because I'm relatively new, but I know I don't cycle as steady if I'm looking round or doing things one hanged. I wait until there are no cars about before drinking for example.
That's true - I don't drink if there were cars close or a narrow road .. I also put down a drinking bottle driving too (way back from gym), if I come to a roundabout, say.
and for sure couldn't change a jersey like the pro's :) - castor angle on the bike for stability counts here

Cycling I often gawp through window as they overtake ... to complete the statistical study on what age/gender are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom