Cycle RAGE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You assume the cyclist even enters their mind as something they should give consideration to.

I’m sure there are some like that, just like some won’t even see them despite wearing bright clothing and having lights and then there are the malicious I’m going to teach them a lesson types. Seeing how much genuine hate there is towards cyclists, I’m more inclined to believe it’s the latter.

Soldato
Although research has found that you can be missed even with bright clothing ... to many cyclist in Cambride anyway, make no concession to try and be seen;
government could do with a good tv advertising campaign (how do you get time on utube) but I guess the accident rate is not high enough.

Saw an MP had an accident
https://road.cc/content/news/264235...italised-after-cycling-collision-taxi-outside
looks like we don't learn who was responsible ... would the police say if a warning was given to the motorist or cyclist ?

Soldato
Cyclists are a pain when working the roads, rude and think they are above basic road laws and have no problems putting road workers in danger with zero respect for red lights or stop signs makes them a pain.

Calling ahead to stop road works because a cyclist flys past through lights/signs is far too common unfortunately. (10 years in traffic management)

Soldato
The frequency with which cyclists are breaking the law emerged after a series of Information Act requests by the Mailonline to police forces across England and Wales.
It found that most of the offences were committed in London with 3,508 fixed penalty notices issued after cyclists were caught jumping red lights. A further 6,173 tickets were issued after flouting the cyclists flouted the law by riding on pavements.
Avon and Somerset police recorded a total of 525 cyclists who were fined for cycling on pavements while 177 were issued a ticket for jumping lights and contravening other road signs.
Officers in Cambridgeshire caught 48 cyclists cycling on pavements and 337 cyclists were caught ignoring red lights and other signs and markings. These include no entry signs, roundabout signs and box junctions.
Each fixed penalty ticket carries a fine of £50. And in total, 4,275 tickets were issued across the country for jumping red lights and ignoring other road signs. Some 7,194 were issued to cyclists for riding on pavements. But the actual number may be far higher as not all the forces answered the request for information.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-lights-riding-pavements-just-one-year.html

need some more recent data ... 30 tickets a day london 1 cambridge
so it appears fine is not the same as for a motorist ... and why not take the 3 points if he has a license.

Soldato
If they're going to do these tests re frequency of breaking the law going through red lights, they should also test the said lights to see the frequency of how many don't respond/regognise a cyclist is waiting whilst it's red. It's not uncommon for them to stay red forcing the cyclist to either wait for a vehicle to come along or break the law.

Soldato
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-lights-riding-pavements-just-one-year.html

need some more recent data ... 30 tickets a day london 1 cambridge
so it appears fine is not the same as for a motorist ... and why not take the 3 points if he has a license.

That's one of my main bug-bears.

I often see in arguments between cyclists and drivers online that the cyclist mentions they drive as well so they can't claim lack of awareness regarding the law. Whatever vehicle you choose to run the red light, the penalty should be the same, as it stands currently, £100 fine (can be increased by court to £1000) & 3 penalty points.

Man of Honour
If they're going to do these tests re frequency of breaking the law going through red lights, they should also test the said lights to see the frequency of how many don't respond/regognise a cyclist is waiting whilst it's red. It's not uncommon for them to stay red forcing the cyclist to either wait for a vehicle to come along or break the law.

Yeah as I mentioned before - the lights on my way home always default to red if it is quiet and start to change when I'm something like 50-25 yards out (driving) sometimes I see a cyclist approaching the lights before me and they stay red until I approach. Some of them either just go if they don't immediately change or dismount and walk their bike around.

Soldato
That's one of my main bug-bears.

I often see in arguments between cyclists and drivers online that the cyclist mentions they drive as well so they can't claim lack of awareness regarding the law. Whatever vehicle you choose to run the red light, the penalty should be the same, as it stands currently, £100 fine (can be increased by court to £1000) & 3 penalty points.

They can make the fine for jumping red lights £5k if they like, I couldn't care less as I don't jump lights either in my car or on my bicycle. While we are at it, lets put trackers in cars and make any offence instantly finable, oh no that wouldn't be right as that would be a tax on the motorist right?

Soldato
Cyclists are a pain when working the roads, rude and think they are above basic road laws and have no problems putting road workers in danger with zero respect for red lights or stop signs makes them a pain.

Calling ahead to stop road works because a cyclist flys past through lights/signs is far too common unfortunately. (10 years in traffic management)

Bet you've never had a rude motorist ever or seen one go through a red light :p I don't understand what is so difficult just share the roads, nobody wants a serious injury or worse on their conscious be it a cyclist, pedestrian or any other road user.

Soldato
(... but he could report the motorist)

Yeah as I mentioned before - the lights on my way home always default to red if it is quiet .. Some of them either just go if they don't immediately change or dismount and walk their bike around.
as you say, threaded before, my revised position is if I had one on my regular route I'd report it ... I modified where I park my bike to avoid the only one I know,
otherwise, apparently to be legal, you have to carry your bike around

Man of Honour
Recently I've been in Berlin, Amsterdam and Belgium and always ask the same questions to taxi drivers or coach drivers "What do you think of cyclists?" and in those places their answers are completely different to British idiots.
It's as though they are brought up completely different mentally where we are brought to hate.
A coach driver and taxi driver in Berlin said "Can you imagine what it would be like if all these cyclists were in cars?".
I would imagine the same would be true in London, thank whatever God that some decide to pedal or you would get nowhere.

Soldato
Bet you've never had a rude motorist ever or seen one go through a red light :p I don't understand what is so difficult just share the roads, nobody wants a serious injury or worse on their conscious be it a cyclist, pedestrian or any other road user.

On about temporary lights I setup and also Stop/go/mobile works. Cyclists are by far the worst offenders . Maybe if they stopped and actually asked someone if it’s ok to pass instead of thinking they are above everyone else it wouldn’t be such a problem. Maybe even walk...

Soldato
They can make the fine for jumping red lights £5k if they like, I couldn't care less as I don't jump lights either in my car or on my bicycle. While we are at it, lets put trackers in cars and make any offence instantly finable, oh no that wouldn't be right as that would be a tax on the motorist right?

Well that's a butthurt response if ever I did read one.

I simply suggested that the law & punishments for an offence, regardless of vehicle used should be equal as the law is meant to be. Having the penalty for motorists much more costly than a cyclists isn't equal.

Recently I've been in Berlin, Amsterdam and Belgium and always ask the same questions to taxi drivers or coach drivers "What do you think of cyclists?" and in those places their answers are completely different to British idiots.
It's as though they are brought up completely different mentally where we are brought to hate.
A coach driver and taxi driver in Berlin said "Can you imagine what it would be like if all these cyclists were in cars?".
I would imagine the same would be true in London, thank whatever God that some decide to pedal or you would get nowhere.

AFAIK these countries have proper road education for cyclists too. I know in Holland between the ages of 10-12, children take road safety lesson and are tested with both theory and practical exams.

Here you get "cycling proficiency" courses that aren't mandatory and aren't partook in high numbers. Local primary round the corner cancelled their last one due to insufficient interest.

I always do look out for cyclists when driving but there's always that thought, especially when, invariably, I see one doing something monumentally stupid & putting themselves at risk, why should I be thinking about his/her safety when clearly they aren't?

I've nearly squashed 4-5 cyclists in the last 6 months whilst driving my work vehicle around Sheffield city centre due to them riding up my nearside/offside when I've been turning left/right respectively & I've had to react sharpish, putting my passengers at risk.

Soldato

I simply suggested that the law & punishments for an offence, regardless of vehicle used should be equal as the law is meant to be. Having the penalty for motorists much more costly than a cyclists isn't equal.

That's not how I interpreted his post. Maybe he can clarify, but I think his point was that they could put a blanket £5k fine on skipping lights in any vehicle and he wouldn't care as he doesn't do it when driving or cycling.

What's your take on his other point, about automatically recording driving offences? Let's modify the question slightly to make it fairer: if a device could be attached to all road vehicles which could automatically fine the operator for speeding/red light/similar offences, would you be in favour?

AFAIK these countries have proper road education for cyclists too. I know in Holland between the ages of 10-12, children take road safety lesson and are tested with both theory and practical exams.

Here you get "cycling proficiency" courses that aren't mandatory and aren't partook in high numbers. Local primary round the corner cancelled their last one due to insufficient interest.

Mandatory cycle proficiency training could be useful, I agree. Funnily enough, though, it teaches things like appropriate use of the primary position on the road, which is the #1 thing I get shouted at about when on the road.

I always do look out for cyclists when driving but there's always that thought, especially when, invariably, I see one doing something monumentally stupid & putting themselves at risk, why should I be thinking about his/her safety when clearly they aren't?

Thanks for looking out for cyclists when driving. I feel your pain when it comes to the monumentally stupid ones. Some cyclists are a danger to themselves and others and, as demonstrated in this thread, give the rest of us a bad name.

I know it's most likely a hypothetical question, but in response to "why should I be thinking about his/her safety when clearly they aren't?": sometimes people make misjudgements. Hell, I've pulled some pretty stupid moves in the past that at the time seemed perfectly reasonable but that on reflection could have ended up pretty bad. But I learnt from them and moved on.

We obviously all have a duty of care to others on the roads no matter how inexperienced they are, or how hard they appear to be trying for a Darwin award. That's not to say there's not a problem with the attitude/road craft of some road users that refuse to learn from their mistakes (or don't even see what they're doing as wrong).

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not how I interpreted his post. Maybe he can clarify, but I think his point was that they could put a blanket £5k fine on skipping lights in any vehicle and he wouldn't care as he doesn't do it when driving or cycling.

What's your take on his other point, about automatically recording driving offences? Let's modify the question slightly to make it fairer: if a device could be attached to all road vehicles which could automatically fine the operator for speeding/red light/similar offences, would you be in favour?

Mandatory cycle proficiency training could be useful, I agree. Funnily enough, though, it teaches things like appropriate use of the primary position on the road, which is the #1 thing I get shouted at about when on the road.

Thanks for looking out for cyclists when driving. I feel your pain when it comes to the monumentally stupid ones. Some cyclists are a danger to themselves and others and, as demonstrated in this thread, give the rest of us a bad name. I know it's most likely a hypothetical question, but in response to "why should I be thinking about his/her safety when clearly they aren't?": at what point do we draw the line? Pedestrian steps out in to the road while buried in their phone and gets wiped out by a cyclist. Outrage, calls for cyclists to be taxed/insured/trained/whatever. Motorist wipes out cyclist doing something stupid and the cyclist shouldn't have been there. We obviously all have a duty of care to others on the roads no matter how inexperienced they are, or how hard they appear to be trying for a Darwin award. That's not to say there's not a problem with the attitude/road craft of some road users.

With regards to GPS tracking. There's still a large degree of error with them even today, especially when you consider that on a mass scale manufacturers would choose the cheapest option.

GPS on my phone for instance (Google Pixel 2) is normally within a radius of 3-4 metres. If you're using that same GPS reading for monitoring light control lines then potentially the system could show me as over the like when I actually stopped on it.

As regards to peds stepping out. Jay walking laws or similar are needed. Put the onus on them to cross safely

Soldato

No butt hurt at all, I think you misunderstood the point of my post as Phil99 stated, as I don't have a problem with any road user getting punished for breaking the law. Your point about equal punishment is nonsense though as the offence is not equal as the harm that could be caused is not equal, if it was then I would agree with you. Punishment should be given out due to the amount of social harm that is caused.

My other point is that many car drivers break the law daily but conveniently ignore it as it suits them but like to call out cyclist for breaking the law (which many certainly do) its pure hypocrisy, just because many drivers don't belong to the other group, they become fair game. If the act of causing a traffic offence on a bicycle is so annoying to drivers and should be punished, then by logical extension any breaking of traffic laws in general should be punished. In that case why do drivers often resist telemetry boxes being fitted to cars or call speed cameras revenue generators, or try to get out of council provided parking tickets etc. ?

Soldato
Still no bicycle tax, insurance or plates?

In practical terms, how would you foresee taxing cyclists and enforcing license plates working? I'm specifically thinking of how to set tax rates, how to attach a number plate such that it's easily readable and how to enforce it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom