Cycling Holidays

Soldato
Hmm, that wouldn't be ideal but depends on the nature of the climbs I suppose. If it's loads of steep ones then not so great, but just spent a week in the Alps and that was either uphill or downhill with very little in between and we both loved it.

I've heard the wind in Lanzarote can be pretty awful which would be a downer, not a fan of plowing into endless headwinds.

I might have to do some Strava stalking of you both...

Soldato
Way more climbing in Tenerife it seems!

Yep, I think so. Where I was, in the south of the island, it's quite sheltered behind the mountain so there wasnt much wind. I think it'll be a trade-off between the relentless climbing of tenerife and the relentless wind of lanzarote*.

*that makes it sound a lot worse than it really is! Both will be significantly more enjoyable than riding in the dark+snow over here.

Soldato
nice!

is this how you normally pack your bike on a plane?

There are similar hard, semi-soft and soft cases/bags available but generally yes. Wheels need to be removed & deflated and the bars turned etc. The normal weight limit is now around 32KG I believe (that box is 11KG), with most bikes being under 10KG it's more than ample to fit a few extras in to, airline permitting. Cost for adding it to a flight is anything from free (BA, I think) to £120 return with Ryan Air. Easyjet were £70 return this year. Thomson/TUI/FirstChoice was £50. All to Europe.

Well in other news I'll be leaving my lungs on Majorca for a week in October 15th-22nd. Ended up just booking an all-inclusive package deal on my own for flights, hotel & coach transfers as it worked out to be the cheapest option. I can 'bolt-on' some days riding with touring companies out there which I will probably do for the social side :cool:

Found this website/blog too which is full of Majorcan cycling gold:

https://www.tramuntanacycling.com/en/

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all

I'm looking at going to the Lakes for a weekend to include some cycling. There will be around four of us. Any recommendations on places to stay; camping, log cabin - not really fussed, more interested in a good start location.

Cheers

Soldato
Shamrock, only a few posts back :p

* Feurteventura *

3 of us stayed in Caleta de Fuste which is south of the airport on the east of the island.

Pro tips:
1. It's windy, from the North/North East every day of life.
2. Early February temps were 22-28 every day.
3. The best cycling is in the south of the island. North kinda sucks due to road quality, busier, bad drivers etc. South, specifically South West is where all the CAT3 climbs can be had with rolling gorgeous terrain.
4. Antigua is a village in middle of island, treat this as your base/hub. This is where the best cake stop is, right in the middle of the town. It is amazing. Antigua is where you begin the first of the big climbs to do the climbing from North>South or it is where you will end up if doing your mountain day from South>North. Cake up accordingly.

Mountain route North > South:
https://www.strava.com/activities/489615037

Mountain route South > North:
https://www.strava.com/activities/491340168

Shameful link to my Instagram but lots of pics of our training days:
https://www.instagram.com/xdcx88/

If anyone has any questions about heading to Fuerteventura then feel free to ask away. Our training trip went very well, couldn't have went better at all and we got 6 days cycling with a proper self catering apartment, plus our own bikes went with us and we were approx £340 per person for all of that..... Other than that I took 170EURO with me and came back with about 3EURO in my pocket. So all in, properly cheap trip away with our own bikes and great start to the training year.

:cool:

Soldato
Hi all

I'm looking at going to the Lakes for a weekend to include some cycling. There will be around four of us. Any recommendations on places to stay; camping, log cabin - not really fussed, more interested in a good start location.

Cheers

Eskdale campsite on the western side of Hardknott. We stayed in the camping pods they have there. We did the Fred Whitton at a more leisurely pace over two days, so we drove to Keswick, then did one half to Eskdale, then cycled over Hardknott/Wrynose the next day to pick up the cars in Keswick, then drive back to campsite to pick up our stuff.

Associate
Eskdale campsite on the western side of Hardknott. We stayed in the camping pods they have there. We did the Fred Whitton at a more leisurely pace over two days, so we drove to Keswick, then did one half to Eskdale, then cycled over Hardknott/Wrynose the next day to pick up the cars in Keswick, then drive back to campsite to pick up our stuff.

Perfect cheers, I'll take a look at that now!

Soldato
If anyone is thinking about a holiday for this year or next can't recommend these guys enough http://www.cyclingholidayspain.net/

Calpe is where the pro's train every spring, I've been there twice now and it doesn't get much better. These guys will cook every meal for you, follow you with a support car providing all your water/gels/food, greet you back from every ride with protein shakes, food and post ride massage. Before letting you wind down in the pool/sauna/games room. Training camps don't get a lot better.

Last year I think I paid £130 for business class flights to Alicante (included 35kg baggage allowance for a bike box) and then £450 for the week long package.

Last edited:
Soldato
Get it from the airport, usually cheap for the week, back in Feb I got two relatively big cars (Hyundai I40 estate and Focus C Max) for less than £70 for the week for both.

Soldato
OP
Interesting, if collecting from the airport i need something bigger because ive got 2 bike boxes & 4 suitcases, oh and 4 people:D

Soldato
Holiday to Gran Canaria is booked! However, I won't be able to get my bike to the airport so it looks like I'll have to use a hire bike again.:(

I'm thinking of trying one with Di2 and discs to see what all the fuss is about.

Discs aren't worth trying unless they are hydros. Di2 is the shiz!

Soldato
Interesting, if collecting from the airport i need something bigger because ive got 2 bike boxes & 4 suitcases, oh and 4 people:D

We just got 2 cars it was so cheap between the 3 of us. Think Petrol from/to the airport was about 8quid at most. Cars sat their for the week. Plus gives you the capability if required to rescue someone.

Back
Top Bottom