Cycling Holidays

Soldato
Yep, I was just typing a reply then saw you'd posted. I'm surprised the capacity of the derailleur is so low. My tiagra mech has a capacity of 39 by comparison!

I wonder how the pros manage to use 28t cassettes with DA mechs?

Longer cages no doubt.

I ran 50 34 and 11 28 for majorca, didn't use the 28 from memory, long steady climbs!

Soldato
I've got a gazzilion tabs open in IE but I've found a few comments that Shimano under-state the spec's eg here:

If your derailleur is the SS version (rather than GS, it will be stamped on the back of the derailleur, something along the lines of I-RD7800SS) then there are two things you need to think about; max size and capacity. Technically the max size for this derailleur is a 27t but most Shimano derailleurs will work well over their max. There might be an issue depending on your frame and how close the dropout places the derailleur to the cassette, but it's unlikely.

Second is the capacity of 29t. If you're running 39/53 chainring then your needed capacity is (53-39) + (28-11) = 14 + 17 = 31

Again, this is outside the stated. If you size the chain based off the big/big (the way Shimano recommends) then you may have an issue with the derailleur not being able to tension the chain in the 39/11. Unless you're a chronic cross-chainer this probably isn't much of an issue.

So short answer - a 12/27 6700 cassette will be awesome.
a 11/28 6700 cassette will likely work at 99.9% performance.

Soldato
Cheers guys.

Will leave it till the winter for now but probably get a 6700 11-28 cassette and try it with the DA7800 shifters & SS mech. Backup plan would be to rob an 9 speed XT mech from my MTB - apparently newer 10 speed MTB mechs don't use a 2:1 cable pull. I've read a few posts that indexing is all at the shifter so it being a 9 speed mech shouldn't matter.

Or, as I probably won't want to mess with my MTB, get a 6700 SS rear mech for £40 as the spec for that has a capacity of 33. Or a 6700 GS medium and a 30-12 cassette for winching myself uphill :D

The things you can learn on a Sunday night :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a gazzilion tabs open in IE but I've found a few comments that Shimano under-state the spec's eg here:

I suspect that they have to use those numbers to cater for the people who try to use the big chainring with the 28 sprocket.
If you shift properly, you can probably get away with a lot more than recommended.

Soldato
My mate has been for three years now with a Compact chainset with a 12-25 8 speed on the back. He is the least fit of us all and has managed just fine. He would probably say he could do with a larger gear at the back.

I took a Standard chainset to Majorca for two of the years and had a 13-29 10 speed at the rear. That was absolutely fine. As already mentioned, the climbs are not steep.

Soldato
OP
Right so, 19 days till we go!

Im just going to stick with my 53/36 and a 27 on the back, bit worried about my fitness tho, i haven't been able to ride for a month due to various things! im probably only going to be able to get a couple of 50 milers in before we leave:eek:

Hired a bikebox alan today for the trip so thats the bike taken care of.

As for transfers, topgun mentioned dropping [email protected] a note, who are these guys lol? anyone have a rough idea of how much it would be for 4 people, suitcases and 2 bike box alans from the airport to Port de Pollenca?

Man of Honour
Has anyone been cycling in Ireland (or live there) - I'm going to be going over at the end of the month and planning on going to/around Co. Kerry after Dublin. May take my bike.

Oh, I guess Shamrock does :D

Soldato
As for transfers, topgun mentioned dropping [email protected] a note, who are these guys lol? anyone have a rough idea of how much it would be for 4 people, suitcases and 2 bike box alans from the airport to Port de Pollenca?

Drop them a message. When I enquired earlier in the year they were very helpful and replied quickly. They are these guys: https://www.procyclehire.com/.

And enjoy your trip!!

Soldato
Has anyone been cycling in Ireland (or live there) - I'm going to be going over at the end of the month and planning on going to/around Co. Kerry after Dublin. May take my bike.

Oh, I guess Shamrock does :D

I've got family over there, they live in the south (Waterford) and say they see lots of cyclists around the coast. They have daughters in Cork and Dublin and said they 'wouldn't cycle around there', but they're country-bumpkins now so it might just be traffic related nothing to do with the roads.

Things are really quiet in southern Ireland and the roads are fantastic from what I remember (I've not been to visit for 15 years, maybe I should!).

Soldato
OP
Transfers are booked, thanks for the tip topgun;)

Ive been looking at the climbs and the videos of Sa Calobra have got me scared already! im not bike fit and that climb looks killer:D

Soldato
Transfers are booked, thanks for the tip topgun;)

Ive been looking at the climbs and the videos of Sa Calobra have got me scared already! im not bike fit and that climb looks killer:D

You've got some climbs from Pollenca to get there too :) I was out in Mallorca last week and managed to nip from the terrible Southeastern side of the island to the mountains and rent a bike from Pro Cycle Hire.

I did Cap de Formentor and Col de Femenia. Cap de Formentor is amazing... great roads and smashing views! My original plan was just to do Sa Calobra and some sort of loop there and back but the weather was looking ominous so I went out to Formentor instead then did part of the way to Sa Calobra before deciding that to go there and back would be tight with a deadline of 7PM for bike return.

CR8uibgl.jpg

Qyetqsql.jpg

I definitely need to go back just for a cycling holiday :)

Soldato
OP
That looks awesome Lethal. The Cap de Formentor route is just along from our hotel so i can see that turned into a regular ride!

My hire bike box just arrived from Bike Box Alan. Its happening!:D

91j3vPM.jpg

Ive managed to get a compact crank on ready for the trip, only issue is the LBS took out 1 link to many and the chains a bit tight for the big ring on the front and big on the back, thats not really a problem as i dont cross chain anyway.

Soldato
Just got back from a week in the Pyrenees with oli collett... 409 miles with 41,000ft of climbing (or 650km with 12496m)!

I managed not to die descending on my carbon clinchers and got up everything with a 39-27 although one more gear would have been nice! We did two pretty hard days involving 10,000ft of climbing each and one of those days included ascents of the Tourmalet from both sides.:eek:

Me cheerful after ascending the Tourmalet twice.
stLa5oOl.jpg

Oli getting to the top of the Col d'Azet
OW5f8BUl.jpg

Top of the Port de Balès.
TfrUgOOl.jpg

View from the top of the Tourmalet.
LOcmuP8l.jpg

The view from the switchback of the Col de Peyresourde.
H2nVSEOh.jpg

Full gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/a8PJZ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom