Cycling Holidays

Soldato
OP
Already thinking about booking next years trip to Majorca. Was thinking about doing one towards the end of April for 5 or 6 days of just cycling with mates. Then booking one a bit later in August as a holiday for the girlfriend.

Associate
I have just returned from a cycling holiday in Emilia-Romagna (I was based in Riccione at Hotel Sarti) and I must say it was one of the best holidays I have had. This was in no small part to the hotel I stayed in which put on 3 different rides a day with excellent local guides, offered carbon ultegra level hire bikes and provided 3 outstanding meals a day with wine included.

I have only been riding since March this year and as each ride averaged out at over 3,500ft of climbing I found it tough (especially as my bike was geared at 12-25 and was grinding up certain parts of San Marino at about 4.9 mph!) but the views at the top were worth the effort and I could definitely feel myself improving with each passing day.

For about 450 Euros it was amazing value and if anyone is interested in the rides you can check my Strava page out here: - https://www.strava.com/activities/407454521

A truly excellent holiday and I am looking forward to going again next year.

Soldato
Had a holiday a couple of weeks ago now. First ride was out of Girona on some really nice quite roads. Was really impressed with the locals as they always gave so much room on overtakes. Can see why so many pro's train down there over the winter. But my knee started to hurt again about half way round so limped the last half hiding behind my mate.

2nd ride was just south of Clemont-Ferrand in the Volcanic region. Just did a cheeky 40km riding from a valley floor up to the top of the Super-Besse ski resort and looping back. I'm 3rd place on one of the climbs :D but only because there's only 13 entries :( https://www.strava.com/activities/405685231/segments/9729954550 Really want to go back to this area as the countryside is amazing with old forts and castles dotted all over the place.

Last ride was out of Etretat a couple of hours below Calais. Again some interesting riding along there as your climbing in and out of towns along a Chalk Cliff face. Thinking of doing a cycle holiday from London down to there and back up next summer.

Fingers crossed can sort out knee issues for next year so I can actually do some proper riding.

Soldato
Shamrock, the cakes are my favourite! Looks awesome, was checking out your rides on Strava, but was NOT feeling sorry for your moaning about the wind (as I was returning from sub zero temp rides)... :D

Fuerteventura - Anyone been and have routes to share? Heading out training there in a few weeks with beardy Touch and his friend. We are based in Castillo Caleta de Fuste which is right next to the big Gold Club Fuerteventura.
Researching everything just now for it but if anyone has been and has any advice it would have course be much appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom