D0 I920 and Gigabyte EX58 UD5 issues.

It only seems to be IntelBurnTest that is causing the problems.. I am testing with OCCT atm, and it runs without an issue, same as Prime95...

I haven't used memtest recently, the last time I used it, it ran for over 3 hours, but when I came back to check on it, my PC had froze, and the bottom half of the screen was all corrupted...

But when I ran it with only one module installed it went the entire night without any errors...

Would you class 3 hours of memtest without any errors stable??

I only run it for a few hours - but some forum members will say to loop it for at least 8 hrs. I personally would run yours for at least 4+ hrs

However, the fact that it froze with 3 sticks but passed with 1 (did you try all sticks independently and in different slots) may point, again, to a combination of BIOS settings that are not compatible. The fact that you've managed to get your system almost to the point of stable makes me think that you may be one setting away from finally sorting this problem.

I would leave IntelBurnTest and just concentrate on getting the 3 sticks stable in memtest - if you manage this i would suspect that you would get the results you want in the Intel one.

Having said all that, i will end with what i said earlier: IntelBurnTest is very aggressive and none of your games and applications will even come close to achieving the amount of stress that this app applies to the cpu. So, even if there was a slight 'BIOS-setting-problem' the likely hood of it manifesting in day to day usage would be negligible.

I mention this again as you could just relax with your build for while until your psu arrives - because if that does, by some miracle, resolve the rest of your problems you're going to kick yourself stupid for putting yourslef through all this stress.

And also when I look at the graphs it creates at the end of the test, the graph for the 12v shows some really weird inconsistencies...

Check out this graph to see what I mean:

Surely this can't be correct?

Hopefully the new psu will resolve this - it wouldn't be that surprising if it turns out that you had 2 underlying problems: a BIOS that needs nursing and a flakey PSU.

Last edited:
Thanks again Plec, you are very helpful!!!

Well, I managed to get my rig to pass 5 runs of IBT @ maximum stress level with my CPU @ 3.32GHz and RAM @ 1400MHz...

Someone on Corsair Support Forum told me to set IBT to run 16 threads because there is some kinda problem when you select 8 threads... or at least this is what he told me... I was kinda suspicious about all this, as I thought I would only need to have 8 threads running on my CPU...

Anyway, I tried this out, and sure enough, it worked like a charm, and my system passes the test no sweat!!!

But I still get crashes when I try running OCCT.. it keeps giving me errors and stops working, however it doesn't seem to be freezing, BSOD'ing, or reseting itself anymore which is a good thing IMO!!!

I really dont understand this PC at all... how can the problems come and go like this??

I guarantee when I wake up tommorow and turn my PC on and run some tests the problems will be back again...

I'm really gutted right now, as I will have the money to get my PSU this week coming, and I really wanted to get the 750w Dark Power Pro unit from OcUK shop but they dont have any in stock right now... and I dont want to have to wait for them to come into stock again...

So it looks like I either buy another unit, or I get the BeQuiet! one from somewhere else... I would prefer to get it from here though TBH...

I really dont understand this PC at all... how can the problems come and go like this??

I guarantee when I wake up tommorow and turn my PC on and run some tests the problems will be back again...

If you do have a flakey psu - this can be a symptom so hopefully when you take receipt of the new one it will resolve this. (Btw, the 850W BeQuiet is in stock at another very large e-tailer if you can't wait.)

In the mean time you could try stressing your PSU to the max and see if it freaks out?

I was reading another thread and a reply by forum member ‘Happy’ (another very helpful member ;)) reminded me that we hadn’t fully abused your PSU.

Rather me typing my own version out I’ll just quote Happy (as, thankfully, he’s articulate too.)

Happy said:
If the PSU was at fault his rig would reset when placed under stress. So to place the rig under maximum stress run something like prime95 on the CPU and then run ATI tools artifact scanner on the graphics card at the same time. If it doesn't restart/crash/freeze then the PSU is fine. Also remember that when doing that under real life usage you will never put anywhere near that much load/stress on the system

Obviously, not all of the reply is relavent to your problem but the setup and running of the test is a great marker if your system was to crash.

If there is an underlying problem with your PSU this is a great starting point in trying to identify it. Bear in mind though it may crash due to other components - so only run benchtests that your system passes everytime. In theory it should buckle very quickly if it was a power draw problem with the psu. The downside is that if it passes -it still doesn't completely rule it out...

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi again Plec,

This sounds like a good idea, although, you say to run bench tests that my rig passes everytime, and there really isn't any benchmarking tool that it does pass everytime!!!

It has even started giving me BSOD when I am doing simple things like web browsing, and also background services have started randomly crashing as well...

So it would appear that whatever it is that is giving me the problems is slowly starting to get worse...

I think I should really stop putting all this pressure onto my system until I get a new PSU, because the last thing I want is for the PSU to go bang and also take out other pieces of hardware at the same time, that would be devastating!!!

I will be ordering a new PSU this week, so I don't really have long to wait...

What Happy has said about the system resetting itself when it is placed under stress sound a lot like my rig tbh...

Although sometimes it will freeze, BSOD, or just stop running the software because of errors... I am hoping to god that the PSU is the cause of this..

I got a reply back from people at Corsair today, and the guy said to me, because I have tested each RAM module individually and memtest never found any errors, that the problem isn't due to the memory, and more to do with the processor not being "overclockable"!!!

Even though the problems happen while the processor @ stock frequency??

I personally think that the guy is talking nonsence...

There have been times when I have had the CPU running @ 3.5GHz and RAM @ 1400MHz, and it has been solid for 2 days running Prime, OCCT, and IntelBurnTest without a single error, or reboot...

Then the next day I turn it on and experience problems...

If the crashing still happens with a new PSU, I will have no other option but to RMA everything back to the suppliers to have them tested properly...

But as I said, things seem to be getting worse, because it has BSOD'ed on me twice already today when I have just been browsing online, and Superfetch service has closed down, and also got an error with Firefox as well this morning...

It never done this before,, so this would indicate to me that whatever is causing the problem is getting worse...

I think I should really stop putting all this pressure onto my system until I get a new PSU, because the last thing I want is for the PSU to go bang and also take out other pieces of hardware at the same time, that would be devastating!!!

Probably a wise decision…

With your initial troubleshooting methods the PSU was my first instinct and hopefully the new PSU will prove that to be the case. But as you’re all too aware the problem may not resolve itself that simply – as your build is certainly proving to be a bit of an ‘aberration’ (my euphemism for a ‘complete-sod-of-a-build’) .

My only hesitancy is that you’ve managed to get the system almost stable on quite few occasions. This makes me think there may be another component which isn’t quite 100% comfortable with your settings but hopefully the new PSU will bulldoze through this component's ‘issues’; with its consistent, draw of raw power. (Here’s hoping anyway.)

As you say, if the new PSU doesn’t reslove all this then it looks like you may have to start rma’ing components, that, or book some therapy sessions for the whole rig as it clearly is verging on having a nervous breakdown.

Man, now it has started crashing Prime95 Blend test with the RAM @ 1066MHz...

I know I said I would give my system a break, but because of these new crashes, I decided to put everything back to stock speeds to see if it would run stable, I booted up with optimized defaults in the BIOS, and then fired up Blend test in Prime, and all threads stopped because of errors after about 1 minute!!!

Something seriously is messed up here...

I am getting extremely stressed out because of this.. I wish that there was somewhere I could send my rig off to have it properly tested by professionals...

The PC shop near me do offer a repair service, but I personally wouldn't trust those guys with my rig, they dont have a clue tbh, the shop only stocks AMD processors, and low end graphics cards... When I asked them about the GTX280 before I got mine, they never even knew they existed...

Same with Core i7... they thought I was talking about Core 2 processors!!!

I talked to someone at OcUK the other day, and he told me that they are thinking about starting up a repair service, which would be awesome, I would trust them with my system 100%... But he didn't know when they were planning on starting this...

Have you made a decision regarding the psu?

The problems are, again, starting to be more consistent with a psu problem - especially as you can't get it stable at stock settings anymore (and obviously taking into consideration all your other troubleshooting over the course of this thread). The fact that you could get it stable before was making me think it was a combination of incompatible BIOS settings and probable flakey PSU - or memroy but it kept on passing memtest. (It still could be :/.).

If you're definitely intent on getting a PSU - order it today. I admire your loyalty to OC's but i'm sure they'll forgive you for buying an item that's in stock at another e-tailer just this once ;).

You state you want a better PSU, regardless of your present problems, and it has the added bonus that it 'may' resolve all your stress related computer issues - with that in mind order it. Give yourself a glimmer of hope...

Just be prepared that even if the PSU is a cure for all your ills - you may still have to balance the BIOS as you appear to have one that needs TLC just to run stable. (It certainly is giving off all the symptoms of a BIOS with serious neurotic tendencies.)

EDIT: Have you run memtest on each stick recently? If it was a dodgy stick it may be that it's finally become completely corrupt and may start to show up consistent errors. (I had a stick do this to me very recently - i had intermittent problems and the sticks passed memtest - then my problems seemed to peak and eventually one stick started to fail memtest everytime.)

Last edited:
I will be buying my new PSU on Wednesday, as that is when I get the money...

The last time I ran memtest was 2 days ago now, with all three sticks installed, running @ 1600MHz, and I finally stopped it after about 10 hours I think it was, and no errors were found... However, that was before this random crashes started happening..

Do you think this type of behaviour could be caused by a PSU that is going bad?

One part of me thinks that it is, and then another part of me says it is something else..
It is driving me up the wall, I really should just leave it alone, but I keep going back for more!!!

I tried what you suggested earlier in this thread, I downloaded Furmark, and I set Prime95 on a small FFT run, and then started running Furmark, and it managed to finish the test on furmark with Prime running in the background...

It is really weird, because I am unable to run a Blend Test, or Large In-Place FFT's without the program stopping most threads or all of them because of errors, but if I choose small FFT's it will run quite happily all night without a problem!!

I also tried to run small FFT's and 3d Mark Vantage, but 3D Mark managed to load up the first test, but failed to start, it just froze as soon as the loading bar reached the end... However I was able to Ctrl/Shift/Esc to task manager and close it down, and Prime was still running...

I don't understand, I thought this would have ground my system to a hault...

Well when we first started on this epic journey - on first reading of your system spec the Hiper jumped out as the weakest link - and it certainly fitted in with the problems you were initially having.

But, you've covered a lot of ground since then with further and more rigorous troubleshooting and have achieved, at some stages, an almost stable system. Only to have it fall apart on you a few days later...

Your last test of running Furmark and Prime95 simultaneously with no ill effects doesn't tally with a flaky PSU but, as i mentioned earlier, it still doesn't rule it out as the problems you're having are intermittent.

Memory as we all know is a strange beast - i've come across a lot of threads with systems playing up and memtest passes and yet they change their memory and voila their problems are solved - no rhyme nor reason to it. (I hate memory - i may have mentioned this before but i feel it’s worth labouring the point.)

And then there's your motherboard - you've managed to get it stable a few times via balancing the BIOS. This was either skill on your part (which you appear to have a considerable amount) or you just happened to hit upon some settings that coincided with the system having a moment of clarity.

And lastly the CPU – it would be a rarity but you can’t rule it out.

The last throw of the dice would be to change all the cables- inside and out – I know it’s a long shot but they too can cause weird and wonderful problems.

As, you're getting the PSU, whatever, you may as well wait and see what joy that brings you – certainly don’t expect it to run stably without a fight as I’m sure if it is the cure to your problem the BIOS will still require nursing.

If the above fails – I would strongly advise you to test some different memory. Buy some memory form your local PC shop and pre-arrange a re-stocking fee so you can take it back. This is a very simple test for very little outlay – I use my local PC shop like this; sometimes I keep the parts, sometimes I return them and pay the restocking fee – it’s a win win for both. (infact i would do this now...)

I keep ending my posts with this - but i mean it - good luck.

Last edited:
The local PC shop doesn't even stock DDR3 memory!!!

They only keep 2 different motherboards in stock.. a crappy mATX board, and an ASRock AM2+ mobo!!!

I plan on ordering 3GB of RAM at the same time as my new PSU.. however I am unsure which modules to go for... there is the 1333MHz G Skill stuff for £28 that I am thinking about buying, or I could get 6GB of OCZ Platinum 1333MHz for £55 from the clearance memory section...

At least if I get RAM as well as a PSU I will be able to rule out two things from my system...

I was wondering, are any of the Coolermaster PSU's on here any good?

Like this one for instance?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-147-CM&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1103

Or I can get the 850W Xigmatek NRP-MC851 from elsewhere for £140... I like the look of the Xigmatek PSU, and the review I read said it was a really decent unit...

::edit::

Sorry for double posting, I meant to edit my last one!!!

Well, I just went downstairs to make some hot chocolate before I goto bed, and I had noticed that my i7 rig was still powered up even though I shut it down about 20 minutes ago, so I turned on my monitor and it had Blue Screened, it must have happened during the shutdown process...

It said something like "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"..

Last edited:
I'm afraid can't advise on either psu other than reviews i've read as i only use BeQuiet and Corsair. I may start to use PC Power and Cooling on some future builds as these seem very good value. (You seemed decided on the BeQuiet a few days ago - what's changed your mind?)

I plan on ordering 3GB of RAM at the same time as my new PSU.. however I am unsure which modules to go for... there is the 1333MHz G Skill stuff for £28 that I am thinking about buying, or I could get 6GB of OCZ Platinum 1333MHz for £55 from the clearance memory section...

If you have an e-bay account i would buy the OCZ as if it doesn't make a difference you can flog it straight away. (Mind you, if you bought the G-Skill you would probably make a profit on it at that price - but the results may not be so conclusive as you may doubt it's quality if it failed.) TBH, either would be preferable to no test at all - just make sure you off load what ever you buy on the bay or the MM so you're not out of pocket. This system has given you a lot of grief don't let it start costing you money too.

Last edited:
I still like the Be Quiet, but the only place I have found cheap DDR3 triple channel RAM is here, and I don't want to buy my PSU from one place, and the RAM from another because that means paying postage twice!!!

I can get the 750w Be Quiet PSU from another place, but they dont have any cheap DDR3 RAM...

Will 750w definitely be enough power for my rig???

Will 750w definitely be enough power for my rig???

Yes, in theory ample - looking at your spec in your original post.

If you just bought the memory from OC's they do a 1st class Royal Mail service that shouldn't work out that expensive for 3 sticks of memroy. (i'm afraid i can't give you any figures as i don't get that option as i'm entitled to free shipping.)

EDIT: If money is tight i would consider the PC Power and Cooling - it's not modular but it's great value for the quality and build.

Last edited:
^^^ Grrrrrrr!!!

Who wants an i7 rig???

I feel like smashing it to pieces, seriously!!

I just ripped the Hiper PSU out of my rig so that I can't fiddle about with it until I get a new PSU... I think it is for the best, because I am just causing myself to get stressed out!

I stuck the Hiper into my Fiancees Dual Core Athlon rig so that she can use my old 8800GTX instead of the nasty 8500GT 256MB she had installed previously...

As for the IRQ errors, I don't have a clue what they are all about, and why they are happening... I will be able to rule out the RAM on Thursday when I get some new modules and new PSU that is if it comes the next day after ordering...

However, I am hoping that it is just the PSU that is giving me these headaches, as I can't be bothered RMAing things... It is a PITA having to strip down my PC and return items back to the seller...

Not ideal at all... but if RAM or mobo is the culprit, then I will have no choice but to return them.....

DavyBoy;14196642I said:
I just ripped the Hiper PSU out of my rig so that I can't fiddle about with it until I get a new PSU... I think it is for the best, because I am just causing myself to get stressed out!

Wise decision as i was starting to fear for your rigs overall well being - not that it didn't have it coming if you did decide to kick the *$%& out of it. (I've done something similar to one PC - snapped the MB in half - right after i sliced my hand on the cheap crappy case trying to get it out for n'th time.)

DavyBoy;14196642I said:
As for the IRQ errors, I don't have a clue what they are all about, and why they are happening... I will be able to rule out the RAM on Thursday when I get some new modules and new PSU that is if it comes the next day after ordering...

As i mentioned in my previous posts - your rig is becoming more and more unstable so hopefully this is consistent with either a flaky PSU or memory that is either corrupt or just doesn't appecaite your mobo.

Hopefully, one or, the combination of the two, will see your blood pressure climb back down to normal levels...

Last edited:
I am really glad that you have been here along the way with me on this nightmare of a journey Plec, your posts have helped to assure me with this problem..

You have been extremely helpful, and I appreciate it...

I cant say for sure whether a new PSU and RAM will resolve these problems, but at the very least it will help to narrow things down so that I can find the EXACT cause of this problem, whereas I am unable to do that with the hardware I have here...

I think I am going to get this RAM instead of the G Skill modules, as I have used OCZ RAM on several of my builds in the past, and I have never had a problem with them, but I have never used G Skill before, so I don't know what the quality of their products will be like, and @ £28 for 3GB of DDR3 there must be something wrong with it!!!!

I will be placing my order tomorrow, I am hoping that OcUK get either those new Corsair HX PSU's or the Be Quiet units in stock by then, but if they haven't then I will just have to shop elsewhere...

Also, I have decided to go for an 850w PSU instead of 750w, just so that I know I will have plenty of power there....

I can get the Be Quiet 850w somewhere else for £145...

I just got a reply back from people at Hiper group, and the guy there also thinks that this problems are being caused by my PSU.. Here is a copy of what he said to me:

I think I will have to agree with the majority and say that a higher wattage PSU will fix your problem, as it seems your current setup is on or around the border for the HPU-4M630. This may explain why you are sometimes getting the BSOD and okay the rest of the time.

I will find out on Thursday when my new gear arrives...

Last edited:
I am really glad that you have been here along the way with me on this nightmare of a journey Plec, your posts have helped to assure me with this problem..

You have been extremely helpful, and I appreciate it...

Not a problem, I know all too well what it’s like to experience a build like this – it’s a lonely process…

I just got a reply back from people at Hiper group, and the guy there also thinks that this problems are being caused by my PSU.. Here is a copy of what he said to me:

I think I will have to agree with the majority and say that a higher wattage PSU will fix your problem, as it seems your current setup is on or around the border for the HPU-4M630. This may explain why you are sometimes getting the BSOD and okay the rest of the time.

I will find out on Thursday when my new gear arrives...

The Hiper is a weak link (potentially through reputation as much as limited wattage) and, as such, it must be re-assuring that it’s also getting mentioned as the likely problem on its respective forums. Your issues certainly could all be explained away with a faulty PSU – as we've both known all along - it’s just unfortunate you couldn’t source one to test. But that's always the big downside with home builds...

I think I am going to get this RAM instead of the G Skill modules, as I have used OCZ RAM on several of my builds in the past, and I have never had a problem with them, but I have never used G Skill before, so I don't know what the quality of their products will be like, and @ £28 for 3GB of DDR3 there must be something wrong with it!!!!

I would fit the PSU before you unpack the memory as you’ll be keeping the BeQuiet no matter what the outcome. If you’re confident that the PSU has sorted all your problems, within a 7 day period, you could return the memory via the long distance selling act – you’ll just have to pay the p&p. (Worth a shot as it could potentially save you £40 odd.)

Roll on Thursday...

Last edited:
I will be keeping the RAM as well as the PSU, as my Fiancee wants a new rig as well, so I will slowly start buying up components for another build as and when I have the spare money...

But what you have suggested would have been a good idea if I didn't plan on keeping it...

I really can't wait until Thursday so that I can install the new PSU and see if it clears up the problems I have had...

Back
Top Bottom