Dark Matter 2024 (Apple TV+)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
I given up trying to make sense of it after episode 7 and especially knowing how the book ends, I think the writer wrote himself into a bit of a hole by introducing that plot twist.
He created the possibilities of multiple Jason1s but where's all the alternative Jason2?

Thats a really good point and what about all the characters that travelling as well. Do you think there going to be enough material for more seasons or does it follow the book closely and its will end after this season?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Whol series lost the plot and me with it.

shame as it could have gone a different place and been a good scifi series

every genre feels the same these days..... must be some Hollywood formula they are following

most scifi is drama with a scifi sub plot

Soldato
I want to know how it ends but the premise continues to be mad.
Jason1 seems rationale yet Jason2 is irrational.
As I posted earlier, if the entire story is solely based on Jason2 wanting a reality branch that conjured Jason1, with an ex-wife and child (or not, who knows) because, well because why? It is such an irrational thought process to pretend to become a person with no memory of those intervening years. The series attempts to explain that Jason2 was spying on Jason1 for a period of time in order to develop, fill and pretend to be the same person. Why?
The premise could have based on something so much more, yet this is diluted to some silly romance/want for something lost. Mind-boggling childish considering the implications of the invention and it's global / multiverse effect.

Soldato
Do you think there going to be enough material for more seasons or does it follow the book closely and its will end after this season?

There is only 1 book and it completes the main story arch, which was done very feebly might I add. If there is a season 2 I can't imagine it being any good.

Reactions: Kyo

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Last two eps have been brilliant. Taken this exactly where i thought it should go.

Not sure how they gonna wrap it up, but i doubt it’ll be amazing since there’s so many possibilities yet they have to choose one.

Looking forward to the finale

Associate
I thought the same about the multiple bad Jasons. Shouldn't variants of bad Jason started coming through the cube continuously? The sensible thing would have been to brick it up straight away after he was done with it. Instead he leaves it open for several episodes then only does that when he hears about good Jason trying to get back. Obviously would not have made much of a series if he just sealed it up and left it straight away. As there are infinite versions of Jasons, there would be infinite bad Jasons that make it through into good Jason's world all the time.

I still enjoyed it.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I thought the same about the multiple bad Jasons. Shouldn't variants of bad Jason started coming through the cube continuously? The sensible thing would have been to brick it up straight away after he was done with it. Instead he leaves it open for several episodes then only does that when he hears about good Jason trying to get back. Obviously would not have made much of a series if he just sealed it up and left it straight away. As there are infinite versions of Jasons, there would be infinite bad Jasons that make it through into good Jason's world all the time.

I still enjoyed it.
From our perspective, the viewer, it’s down to naivety / lack of forward thinking.
This version just assumed he had only the one Jason to contend with, the one he “banished”

Btw people refer to them as Jason1 and Jason 2 so I’ll do the same below

So from our perspective, while there could be infinite Jason1 decisions and therefore new versions, there could and should be infinite Jason2s

I would say the world we saw in ep8 may be the default version of Jason2, because it’s where all other Jason1s are trying to get to.

And to be fair, he did the right thing and bricked it up. This Jason2s major mistakes were 1: getting rid of his mate which then caused him to need to open the box up again to bring back another version and so 2: not closing it again afterwards.

So while we’re being presented this particular play of events, there will actually be infinite Jason2 worlds where he played it right.

It’s why i said above that the finale will not be amazing because everything can and will happen, and we will only get to see one of the permutations. Maybe some kinda montage. But ultimately i guess it will be watered down for a second season.

Looking forward to it regardless.

S2 not so much. I can't imagine I'l be rooting for the same guy. Will just be the Jason who gets the most screentime

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Acceptable conclusion and the very last scene was what i expected.

A couple of other parts of the story had me questioning motivations, but was able to mentally hand wave it away with “infinite versions and this could happen”
i.e. his versions becoming irrational and up for killing each other. I reconciled this with the fact that these are the versions of him that lost it. The other versions made their peace and moved on like the ones who waited for them at the box. I’m sure there were others that just went into the world to start again, etc

I guess there is the possibility of a s2 with the side characters who are also in the box. But i think this version of Jason’s story is done.

What was with his mate and Amanda at the end? That part i didn’t get. I don’t remember a version of him that was in the box but also knew her.

Man of Honour
Really hope there is no S2. It was a decent enough show and wrapped up well enough if a little convenient.

As I've previously posted IMO it feels more like a rough draft for a good show, I'd rather see them revisit it in a few years than produce a sequel unless they really work on it.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
As I've previously posted IMO it feels more like a rough draft for a good show, I'd rather see them revisit it in a few years than produce a sequel unless they really work on it.
The show has gained momentum since the start, and thats reflected in the imdb scores for the episodes. They won’t be revisiting this.

S2 is questionable, as I mentioned in my spoiler above. Can’t say it appeals to me but will remain open minded if they do.

As it was getting towards the end of this ep i suddenly remembered how
Rick and Morty handled multiverse and their variants. I was expecting that the Dessen family would open that door and there would be a world of Dessen families waiting for them

Man of Honour
Good enough ending, a few bits quite contrived to work though. The chat room was kind of hilarious.

I kind of got the feeling it is inferred the version of characters, usually the principle or original version, as shown in the ending sequence all end up in the same world at the end.

Soldato
Sorry, my whole thing is a spoiler! But a question I want to ask for all who watched so far.

Why do all the Jason1’s keep ending up in the original Jason’s iteration? Shouldn’t once they sus things out be ‘brought’ back to their original?

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Sorry, my whole thing is a spoiler! But a question I want to ask for all who watched so far.

Why do all the Jason1’s keep ending up in the original Jason’s iteration? Shouldn’t once they sus things out be ‘brought’ back to their original?

They are all from the same world. They are alternate versions of Jason1 who was kidnapped and thrown through the box. They gave an example in an earlier ep - the one who got killed with Amanda while trying to escape the company where the box was built

Last edited:
Soldato
They are all from the same world. They are alternate versions of Jason1 who was kidnapped and thrown through the box. They gave an example in an earlier ep - the one who got killed with Amanda while trying to escape the company where the box was built
I'm really not getting how they are from the same world... thought the whole idea was superposition and multiple/infinate universes.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I'm really not getting how they are from the same world... thought the whole idea was superposition and multiple/infinate universes.

Every decision he made after he went through the box created a new version. That includes thought patterns (Roger Penrose says consciousness is based on quantum phenomena) so every time he tried to think of a world to enter, an alt was created that thought something slightly different. And it would branch exponentially, so even in a short time scale with few choices there would be an crazy amount of variants. Jason2 said in this ep he shoulda known that would happen. And Jason1 said he thought it would just be him coming back. I wrote about this after last week's ep
From our perspective, the viewer, it’s down to naivety / lack of forward thinking.
This version just assumed he had only the one Jason to contend with, the one he “banished”

Btw people refer to them as Jason1 and Jason 2 so I’ll do the same below

So from our perspective, while there could be infinite Jason1 decisions and therefore new versions, there could and should be infinite Jason2s

I would say the world we saw in ep8 may be the default version of Jason2, because it’s where all other Jason1s are trying to get to.

And to be fair, he did the right thing and bricked it up. This Jason2s major mistakes were 1: getting rid of his mate which then caused him to need to open the box up again to bring back another version and so 2: not closing it again afterwards.

So while we’re being presented this particular play of events, there will actually be infinite Jason2 worlds where he played it right.

It’s why i said above that the finale will not be amazing because everything can and will happen, and we will only get to see one of the permutations. Maybe some kinda montage. But ultimately i guess it will be watered down for a second season.

Looking forward to it regardless.

S2 not so much. I can't imagine I'l be rooting for the same guy. Will just be the Jason who gets the most screentime

Last edited:
Soldato
Enjoyed it but still can't get past ..
the motivations in the first place. Basically a romance/love story by a version of Jason who pursued his work over a romance which triggered the entire story / technology use for that romantic loss.

I'm still none the wiser how Jason could teleport or enter a world where the technology had not been created. did the box just magically appear and then permanently remain in a world where the technology was not invented by a version of him (or someone else)?

Back
Top Bottom