Dark Souls 3

Blue caped knight after Vordt? He still gives me trouble even now lol. Im at the Cathedral and souls level 50 something.

Talking about this guy, he's to the left of a big cathedral, before you face Vordt

DS3%20Blue%20cape.jpg

I died to him a good 10+, before I just pure R1 spammed him. :p
Can't believe the trouble he gave me for the reward, I managed to kill Vordt on the 2nd attempt.

You can always just summon some phantoms and go to town. Most of the game's boss fights are trivialised by summoning two or three phantoms, and SoC is very much one of them. It might not be the most rewarding victory, but it's better than watching something on Youtube. I've been summoning as many phantoms as possible during my second run with the Dried Finger and bosses drop like flies.
Yea I know.

I've summoned help for FOUR boss fights in this game.

Previously, the only boss fight I'd ever summoned help for in any of the other Soulsbourne games was Orstein and Smough.

Frankly, I dont find it satisfying in any way. I only did it so I can move on with the game. But seeing as it's the very end of the game here, I just dont have much motivation.

I'm totally ok with it. I might come back to it out of boredom at some point, but I dont feel like I've missed out. I know very well what I like and get out of these games and beating bosses is not one of the main things for me. Or at least - my sense of accomplishment in doing so is limited to a few particularly special bosses each game.

I summoned help for 3-4 bosses, no shame in it as I play games for fun and if I'm not even close after half a dozen attempts then I'd rather get some help than give up completely. I make sure to repay the favour too so it's all good karma!

I'm totally ok with it. I might come back to it out of boredom at some point, but I dont feel like I've missed out. I know very well what I like and get out of these games and beating bosses is not one of the main things for me. Or at least - my sense of accomplishment in doing so is limited to a few particularly special bosses each game.
I don't know, it just seems like a bizarre attitude to me. You could beat the boss with help in the time it would take to watch a Youtube video of someone else beating it and then move on with your life. Perhaps neither is a "satisfying" option, but I see no reason why you'd pick the Youtube one over seeing your character do it instead. If the challenge or experience of beating bosses isn't something that's important to you anyway, you're not really spoiling anything for yourself. You say that you have no motivation to do it, yet you clearly want to see the ending or you'd have just abandoned the game altogether and wouldn't be worried about watching the ending on Youtube. An ending which, given there are four of them, may not even correspond to the choices you made.

But hey, do whatever makes you happy. :)

I summoned help for 3-4 bosses, no shame in it as I play games for fun and if I'm not even close after half a dozen attempts then I'd rather get some help than give up completely. I make sure to repay the favour too so it's all good karma!
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with summoning help at all. Jolly cooperation is one of my favourite things in Dark Souls games. Maybe not for my first playthrough when I'm facing a boss myself, but I usually go back and drop my sign for a while right after beating a boss and help a few other people. Running through whole areas with a team of phantoms and the Dried Finger active is also fun. Did that in the Grand Archives the other night with two phantoms and Way of Blue active as well, had constant invasions and complete chaos. :D

I don't know, it just seems like a bizarre attitude to me. You could beat the boss with help in the time it would take to watch a Youtube video of someone else beating it and then move on with your life. Perhaps neither is a "satisfying" option, but I see no reason why you'd pick the Youtube one over seeing your character do it instead. If the challenge or experience of beating bosses isn't something that's important to you anyway, you're not really spoiling anything for yourself. You say that you have no motivation to do it, yet you clearly want to see the ending or you'd have just abandoned the game altogether and wouldn't be worried about watching the ending on Youtube. An ending which, given there are four of them, may not even correspond to the choices you made.

But hey, do whatever makes you happy. :)
I still have to get a cursory knowledge of the moves involved and get him into any 2nd or 3rd phases so I can learn those moves, too. Summoning help makes things much easier, but I still have to know how to stay alive when the boss comes at me. And that does take a few retries, usually. Especially with how quickly I get killed.

Not worried about the story, either. Haven't really paid much attention to it and have no idea what 'choices' I've made.

Absolutely loving this now, even though I still can't parry worth a damn. :p

Gotta say though, the difficulty is all over the place. I'm at Cathedral of the deep now and I gotta say, the tutorial boss has got to be the toughest enemy I've faced so far, next would be those knights in High Wall of Lothric. Once I got to the Undead Settlement, the diffuclty took a steep dive. :o

Also got invaded on the Road of Sacrifices and the invader could use Estus flasks! That's a new 1 on me. :eek:

Yeah, both NPC and player phantoms (friendly or hostile) can use Estus now. You get half your maximum as a player, whilst NPCs have a set number of chugs.

Done with my second playthrough now and don't feel like starting a third, so I reinstalled the original instead. Still a surprisingly pretty game when downscaled from 4K via DSfix.

Abyss Watchers down! Now that was 1 hell of a tough fight, think I went through a good 8 embers, but I'll be damned if it wasn't fun! :D

Think I desperately need to put some more points into vitality, I'm still wearing the Herald armour, because everything else is too heavy.

Done with my second playthrough now and don't feel like starting a third, so I reinstalled the original instead. Still a surprisingly pretty game when downscaled from 4K via DSfix.

If I ever finish no.3, I'll be heading back to the original, didn't get very far tbh, didn't have a clue what I was doing.

Pontiff Sulyvahn is kicking my ****, major style! He's just so relentless.
I'm trying to avoid using a guide, but this guys pushing the right buttons.

He's was my first real roadblock too. He's not too bad when you learn his moveset though.

Learn his moveset?!? His moveset can be broken down into 2 categories, "I'm ****ed!" and "Oh sweet baby Jesus! I'm ****ed!"
When he raises both swords above his head, it's just time to spam the roll button, but....I did kill him last night! :D

Kinda cheated and looked on a wiki and saw that his fire sword is parryable, so took a chance with a buckler and managed to parry my way through the 1st half. The 2nd half was a bit more forgiving, switch over to a normal shield, he hit like a truck, but his combo's were more forgiving. Definately the toughest boss so far.

I did go back after the boss to check out a passage I missed, ended up in some dungeon with those life stealing Jailers, man they were annoying especially in the room with about 8 of them, took ages to clear. Got the next bonfire and just headed back to the Pontif to carry on from there.

Kinda at a loss of where to put my points, not using a guide, I'm not sure what to aim for.

DS3%20Stats.jpg

I'm using an executioner greatsword, not sure what sorceries/miracles are worth working towards?

For that weapon, I'd make pumping Strength up to 40 my next priority. I don't really think any of the sorceries or pyromancies are particularly worth spending a ton of points for. Lightning Blade, Dark Blade or Darkmoon Blade (if you have it) are all good miracles for buffing your sword. Sacred Oath is a handy general buff, but requires a large Faith investment. Deep Protection is another option that requires less Faith, but provides less of a buff. The healing miracles are pretty lame IMO. I tried Bountiful Sunlight for a while, but it's just not worth the slots. Estus healing is so quick and plentiful that you might as well use them for a buff like Sacred Oath instead.

In any case, you can always respec later and try different builds and equipment.

Last edited:
I've been running around using spook and hidden body, almost feels like I'm cheating, so easy to get in a quick back stab or take out the tricky mob in a group. :D

Killed Oceiros, the Consumed King earlier, almost felt bad about it, especially in the 1st phase where it looks like he's cradling a child. :(

Also been practicing with my parrying.

Still not perfect, but better. Though I couldn't tell you how many attempts that took. :o

Okay, I've played this to death now, gone back through the series, and played Lords Of The Fallen as well as Salt & Sanctuary. Are there any other similar games that I might have missed? Or can anyone recommend anything I might like based on these?

The trouble is now these games have spoiled me a little and everything else just seems a little dull, except for Doom which was a nice change of pace.

I've considered a PS4 for Bloodborne but it seems a lot to pay for a console with only one good game (in my opinion) and apparently both the frame rate and frame pacing are abysmal anyway so I'm not gonna bother with that.

I'd like something else along these lines and I may have missed a few seeing as aside from these and Witcher 3 I've played very little in the last year or two. Any suggestions appreciated.

Get a cheap secondhand ps4 with Bloodborne. The time you spend on it will pay for the outlay 5 fold.

EDIT: If you like Witcher 3 you might like Dragon Age Inquisition.

Last edited:
Started a new character after getting tired of end-game PvP (which is a load of balls, frankly). Mandated myself to play completely differently to freshen things up, so no big shield and a straight sword. Wielding a Red Hilted Halberd, two-handing most of the time with just a Target Shield for parries on some enemies. Rather enjoying it actually. It was a big adjustment actually timing attacks and anticipating enemy ones, rather than waiting for them to bounce off my shield and whacking them with my sword a couple of times, but it feels a lot more rewarding. Just reached the Cathedral of the Deep and parried the two NPCs in front of it to death. It's fun.

Just killed the Dragonslayer Armour and did a bit of The Grand Archives. Any idea how close I am to the end?

Ignoring all optional content, the four bosses you need to kill to activate the thrones and access the final boss is:

Abyss Watchers
Aldrich, Devourer of Gods
Yhorm the Giant
Lothric, Younger Prince .... accessed after Grand Archives

Back
Top Bottom