Dark Souls 3

Ran into my first cheater today. Was invaded in Irithyll Dungeon by a guy called The God King wearing Havel's armour and wielding a huge axe, who proceeded to zip around the place at a hundred miles an hour and then instantly killed me in a whirlwind of similarly-sped up attacks. I'd have been more peeved were it not right near the bonfire.

I gave up on parrying, personally. Never been able to do it reliably. Hiding behind a greatshield FTW. ;)

Don't know what it is, in DS2, I had about a 50% success rate with parrys, think I'm generous in saying that I'm managing it 20% of the time. :o

Also I swear, this game makes me feel older, game feels tougher, not sure if that's down to my inability to parry. That 1st boss, easy while he's in Knight form, but once he goes all dark demon, the screen was such a cluster**** that it was hard to see.

Don't know what it is, in DS2, I had about a 50% success rate with parrys, think I'm generous in saying that I'm managing it 20% of the time. :o

Also I swear, this game makes me feel older, game feels tougher, not sure if that's down to my inability to parry. That 1st boss, easy while he's in Knight form, but once he goes all dark demon, the screen was such a cluster**** that it was hard to see.

Don't wanna be the bearer of bad news here but 3 is the easiest game to parry in. It sounds like you're still on Ludex? In which case you'll adjust, the timings are slightly different than 2, they're closer to 1 but way more forgiving this time around, grab a Caestus and you're golden, has very fast recovery frames so incase you mess up a prediction parry, you'll be able to roll away 90% of the time.

Half-parries are messed up though, if you get a partial with the Caestus say goodbye to your entire stamina bar. :o

If you decide to use it though, or a small shield (almost as good) you're much better off reacting to attacks to parry them rather than predicting, as their start up frames are ridiculous compared to any parry in the 1st 2 games.

Okay, I've played this to death now, gone back through the series, and played Lords Of The Fallen as well as Salt & Sanctuary. Are there any other similar games that I might have missed? Or can anyone recommend anything I might like based on these?

The trouble is now these games have spoiled me a little and everything else just seems a little dull, except for Doom which was a nice change of pace.

I've considered a PS4 for Bloodborne but it seems a lot to pay for a console with only one good game (in my opinion) and apparently both the frame rate and frame pacing are abysmal anyway so I'm not gonna bother with that.

I'd like something else along these lines and I may have missed a few seeing as aside from these and Witcher 3 I've played very little in the last year or two. Any suggestions appreciated.

Okay, I've played this to death now, gone back through the series, and played Lords Of The Fallen as well as Salt & Sanctuary. Are there any other similar games that I might have missed? Or can anyone recommend anything I might like based on these?

The trouble is now these games have spoiled me a little and everything else just seems a little dull, except for Doom which was a nice change of pace.

I've considered a PS4 for Bloodborne but it seems a lot to pay for a console with only one good game (in my opinion) and apparently both the frame rate and frame pacing are abysmal anyway so I'm not gonna bother with that.

I'd like something else along these lines and I may have missed a few seeing as aside from these and Witcher 3 I've played very little in the last year or two. Any suggestions appreciated.
Bloodborne is a fantastic game if you can swing a PS4 somehow. It does have some other good games if you're not super particular.

Demons Souls, obviously. If you dont have a PS3, you can find one pretty cheap nowadays(and the game itself dirt cheap, too), though of course you'd still be buying a system for a single game which I agree isn't ideal.

Apart from those obvious suggestions, I'd recommend Hyper Light Drifter. It's quite Souls-esque in terms of how it approaches combat and especially the challenge of bosses. But it's nothing like a Souls clone ala Salt'n'Sanctuary otherwise. Still very much worth playing.

Getting a little bit farther, no stuck on this blue caped guy. :mad:
Finding that I have to play a lot more offensively then in no.2, those knights just punish my staminia if I try to play defensively.

Any recommendations on what to spend some early points on, I want to have some fun with spells this time around, in DS2 I didn't use a single 1. :o

Magic's really crap early on, so you might want to invest in some melee skills first and wait until you have some of the necessary gear to make sorcery a little better (the ring that increases casting speed for a start) and some more Estus. You can respec up to five times per playthrough anyway, so it won't matter too much if you don't like your build.

Jesus christ after everyone saying the nameless king was a PITA i did him first go but im stuck on lord of cinder! 20 tries and getting him past the first phase is a nightmare for me, he seems to have unlimited stamina and no breaks between attacks.

/ragequit

Jesus christ after everyone saying the nameless king was a PITA i did him first go but im stuck on lord of cinder! 20 tries and getting him past the first phase is a nightmare for me, he seems to have unlimited stamina and no breaks between attacks.

/ragequit

This is one of the things I most like about the Souls games. Everyone has a different play style sometimes even within the same character class, and though some classes are not wildly different that all adds to how difficult people find different bosses.

I was exactly the opposite. I killed Soul Of Cinder first time but The Nameless King repeatedly annoyed the hell out of me until I finally got lucky. When I beat him, had I not consumed an ember it would have been a different outcome. I also had a very hard time With Oceiros yet I hear many people found him quite easy.

It's difficult to pin down an exact strategy for Soul Of Cinder as he throws every type of attack at you but I kept my distance whenever I could to avoid his unpredictable combos. His magic is pretty easy to avoid so that's not an issue and while he's in that phase you might want to run in and hit him a few times but back off if he starts with the soul greatsword move. I just chipped away at his health but I never got more than one or two hits in at a time.

The second phase seems much easier to me even though he has a long combo he can unleash on you occasionally. His health is also lower in this phase. Again, only get in a hit at a time when the opportunity arises.

Sorry, not that helpful really. I didn't get a chance to really learn his move set, so just going on how I beat him.

Thanks Ecliptica, good advice that seems spot on with some youtube vids i've watched to see how people beat him. Funny thing is in the vids he seems a lot more laid back and shows plenty of windows to punish him, but all he seems to do with me is constant attackattackattack with hardly any windows.

Ugh stress, Dark Souls should come with a health warning :D

HA! get down you mutha! NG+ here i come...

Last edited:
Thanks Ecliptica, good advice that seems spot on with some youtube vids i've watched to see how people beat him. Funny thing is in the vids he seems a lot more laid back and shows plenty of windows to punish him, but all he seems to do with me is constant attackattackattack with hardly any windows.
Luck actually plays a lot bigger role in the Souls games than many realize. So many times I've gotten through situations I could have easily been killed had an enemy used a particular attack at the right time. This happens a lot with bosses for me. And it's something I notice a lot when I watch videos of other people playing the game and they skate through a situation that I didn't because a boss or enemy simply happened to not use what would have totally been a fatal blow should the AI have happened to pick it. And all I can think is, "Lucky *******."

Speaking of watching others, I think I might just watch the final battle and ending on Youtube and be done with the game. I know that sounds like a copout, but after fighting him once, I realize it's going to be an ordeal and I'm just not that interested in hammering it out for hours. Bosses are a big part of the game, but not my favorite thing about them. It's mainly the progression, finding new weapons/armor and exploring all the new levels and whatnot.

Bloodborne is a fantastic game if you can swing a PS4 somehow. It does have some other good games if you're not super particular.

Demons Souls, obviously. If you dont have a PS3, you can find one pretty cheap nowadays(and the game itself dirt cheap, too), though of course you'd still be buying a system for a single game which I agree isn't ideal.

Apart from those obvious suggestions, I'd recommend Hyper Light Drifter. It's quite Souls-esque in terms of how it approaches combat and especially the challenge of bosses. But it's nothing like a Souls clone ala Salt'n'Sanctuary otherwise. Still very much worth playing.

Only just spotted this. Thanks for that, I reckon I'll give that a go. Certainly looks interesting so I'll check out a video or two but definitely looks and sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Thanks again.

Speaking of watching others, I think I might just watch the final battle and ending on Youtube and be done with the game. I know that sounds like a copout, but after fighting him once, I realize it's going to be an ordeal and I'm just not that interested in hammering it out for hours. Bosses are a big part of the game, but not my favorite thing about them. It's mainly the progression, finding new weapons/armor and exploring all the new levels and whatnot.
You can always just summon some phantoms and go to town. Most of the game's boss fights are trivialised by summoning two or three phantoms, and SoC is very much one of them. It might not be the most rewarding victory, but it's better than watching something on Youtube. I've been summoning as many phantoms as possible during my second run with the Dried Finger and bosses drop like flies.

Back
Top Bottom