Dark Souls 3

Soldato
I don't think I've ever done a playthrough with heavy weapons. I think i tried it in dark souls 2 and found it much harder then dex weapons. Spacing and timing seemed much more important. I've just leveled a pyromancer in DS3 and i have to say running through the game with a raw falchion and fireballs is easy mode. I did the whole play through embered as i died so few times. Still have 40+ embers and i haven't purchased any from merchants.

I think its high time i did a full strength build tbh.
Yeah I'm not sure I've ever used a greatsword in any Souls game tbh... Closest I've come might be the Claymore in the first game. Even though I'm trying to use a shield, tbh I always roll anyway so I've just started two-handing it and playing the same as a dex build anyway!

The Hollowslayer Greatsword scales well with dex too, so I've pretty much fallen in to the same routine anyway... I need to replace it soon. It is great but I want to try and play differently!

Tbh, I just think the game is much more fun with a shieldless build.

Associate
Yeah I'm not sure I've ever used a greatsword in any Souls game tbh... Closest I've come might be the Claymore in the first game. Even though I'm trying to use a shield, tbh I always roll anyway so I've just started two-handing it and playing the same as a dex build anyway!

The Hollowslayer Greatsword scales well with dex too, so I've pretty much fallen in to the same routine anyway... I need to replace it soon. It is great but I want to try and play differently!

Tbh, I just think the game is much more fun with a shieldless build.

I've done a play through with the murakumo which is probably the heaviest weapon I've used. I just wish it had the dark souls 2 moveset. In fact, i find that weapon variety in 3 is a bit lacking tbh. Dark souls 2 seems to have much more variety in viable weapons and also had more varied move sets between classes which was really nice and is the main thing i really miss about 2.

I agree about the shields. I only ever use a shield as a parry tool and only for fashion reasons as the ceastus/claws are just better (although they are getting a nerfed in the next patch!)

Soldato
What bosses do you always find hard even though everyone else seems to think they are easy?... For me it is Curse rotted greatwood and Oceiros. Oceiros especially I just can't seem to master him!

Associate
Never played a Souls game before. Bought Ds3 and refunded it when first came out, drived me up the wall.

Bought it in the last sale to give it one last chance as have heard so much about it. With a bit of help from a YouTube walkthrough I have gotten well into it. Would even go as far as saying it is one of the best games I have ever played.

Soldato
been playing a bit more of this (i stopped around farron keep last time). Im up to Smouldering Lake boss (old king)

Running a heavy build i use mainly the Exile greatsword (heavy). Prior to that it was the Great Fire machete which ate through anything).

But i havent found a weapon that was like the weapon i had in Dark Souls 2. The one where you had to break it completely before it turned into this mega 2 handed spear thingy. I loved the moveset.

Soldato
I'm using the Black Knight Greatsword. Major damage and I like the moveset as it is still quite quick. I am thinking of giving something else a go though, maybe Yorhm's Machete or the Dragonslayer armour Axe, but they are both very heavy, and I don;t have enough vitality. I also like the Black Knight Glaive, but find it too hard to get used to the moveset.

Soldato
It is annoying as hell that when I put my sign down I get summoned within 10 seconds usually. But if I want to summon there is never any sign...so I chucked down a load of messages need ally etc. Does nothing. Must be set wrong with my Internet that I can get summoned np but can't summon for the life of me. Had to take down that Fum mother myself :(

Doesn't help in that the area is smoldering lake and all the **** fire demons and curse frogs hate this area.

Edit lost 20k to those toxic *******

Last edited:
Associate
Didnt know there is a DKS3 thread cool.

Maybe summon level issue? Ive read that it has to be in certain range. I might be wrong though.

Currently trying to beat the final optional boss, no luck so far. Cannot figure out the timing of the attacks and how to roll proplery.
Also frost weapon is excellent on the last DLC.

Soldato
Uhh I tried reverse hollowing and it said something about humanity restored....and I check status... My 52 levels of hollowing are gone.....wtf I was following the ********** Lord of hollows plot line ..noooooooooooo...I hate this game :(

Edit. Crisis averted....still have dark sigil and still Lord of hollow....

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want the Lord of Hollows ending you can't heal the dark sign in any way unfortunately.

The only boss I've not seen any summon signs for is Nameless King. Nobody seems to bother for that.... Though I bloody need one!

Soldato
Sorry, this post will be a little OT to DS3.

I'm playing DS1 but confused about what can be done at bonfires. What does it mean to Kindle and Reverse Hollowing? I've read online but still vaguely understand it. I haven't set the game up for online play, so currently playing SP.

Soldato
I'm new to DS1 too, have put around 18 hours in.

Being hollowed is like being undead (or something similar). Once reversed, you're back to normal - until you are killed. Reversing hollowing uses one humanity, and when un-hollowed you can summon an NPC to help with bosses - that's the only benefit I've noticed.

Kindling a fire makes it so you get 10 Esters rather than 5. Can't remember what you use to kindle - maybe humanity again.

Soldato
When you are human-
you can summon other players and NPCs to help you with bosses or areas.
But...
You can also be invaded at any time by other players, and some npcs...probably won't happen much now on the original game tbh.

Imo the game is much better if you are always human. When invaded by npcs when you beat them they often drop good gear and further the lore.

Kindling a bonfire increases the number of estus flasks you get by 5. You can only kindle a bonfire when in human form. Later I the game you can kindle a bonfire up to three times.

Soldato
Cheers. So what's the difference between if you die in human form or undead? Also, what causes you to become undead?

So I assume I can only Kindle one bonfire at a time now? So if I Kindle a new bonfire I find, the previous will unkindle and only give me 5 flasks?

Soldato
You can kindle as many bonfires as you want at the same time.

You're character is undead. That is the curse. You can consume humanity to regain your humanity, and go back to 'human form'. When you die in human form you just go back to being undead. When you die as undead nothing happens, you just keep resurrecting. That is the undead curse.

Hollowing is a term that kind of refers to the gradual loss of humanity that undead suffer. The more times you die, the more 'hollow' you become. There isn't really an ingame indo action of it iirc. There is in DS 2 and 3 though.

Soldato
I've played for about 20 or so hours, and jeez, this game has a lot to it doesn't it? It's an amazing game, but I'm really struggling to get some things. I have limited playtime so I'm finding the learning curve rather vast to say the least. Even simple things like knowing which build to go for, or even the builds in general, are difficult to grasp. Then there's the totally open-ended way of going through most zones, being able to do them out of order, ignoring things, running past certain mobs to get back to somewhere else, the list is quite endless! It's a completely different experience to most games you'll ever play. The game goes out of its way to get you at every possible moment (which is actually really cool, not a complaint there) and it keeps you on your toes, but even after 20 hours I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Not to mention that the world has been beautifully realised. The mobs in it are just wrong, as in full-on abominations and it sets the world up for the dreadful and raw place that it is.

Last night I went back and took down the Curse Rotted Greatwood, and then used the kiln to make Vordt's hammer. That's a nice weapon! I originally skipped the Greatwood the first time around this zone because my friend advised me to wait a bit. That was a pretty awesome fight. I had the help of my friend though. I don't know if I'm completely happy with the way co-op works, what with having to burn an ember and then you risk being invaded, and then if you die you lose the ember and you then have to use another. I've read that ember isn't an endless resource so that means that some day I won't be able to co-op anymore, which kinda sucks. I think that's the tough thing about Dark Souls. The permanence of certain things. I accidentally attacked an NPC outside the shrine the other night, he went for me and fell off the cliff. So that's the end of that dude, no ability to get anything more from him because, you know, he dead. But then even if he hadn't have fallen to his death, he'd have been aggressive to me after that. Even though I'm finding these things tough for a game these days, I can completely appreciate it. It makes you see just how easy games have become. They hold your hand and guide you through everything so carefully and gently. Dark Souls 3 is a breath of fresh air to be perfectly honest, even though I'm still getting to grips with everything it has to offer!

Soldato
Just got past the first boss. I feel cheated though as I rolled off the cliff and he followed :(.

I have 8k souls and at a bonfire. Should I follow a guide for a build? If I don't, will the things I select hurt me later on in the game? I#m mainly choosing between Vitality, Strength and Dexterity.

I'm running as a Knight for my class.

Back
Top Bottom